• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rotel RA-12 Bricked!

Ugh... having similar issues where my Rotel RA-1592 amp is stuck in power blinking light. Trying to update the firmware in hopes it will come back to life and it's not getting recognized via RS-232 cable. Used multiple different brand cables already and ensured settings were correct for the connection. No luck so far. Almost coming to about a week.
 
Ugh... having similar issues where my Rotel RA-1592 amp is stuck in power blinking light. Trying to update the firmware in hopes it will come back to life and it's not getting recognized via RS-232 cable. Used multiple different brand cables already and ensured settings were correct for the connection. No luck so far. Almost coming to about a week.
might need drivers installing on your computer . are you going rs232 to usb ?
 
might need drivers installing on your computer . are you going rs232 to usb ?
thanks for responding.

I did update the firmware on all the cables. First unused whichever one windows installed. That didn’t work so I checked and updated it to the latest firmware from FTDI and ensured that the serial driver and also the com drivers were updated. Theres one of each on the device manager.

Also updated settings on the device manager to the correct communication settings specific for the Rotel Amp which included 115200 baud rate etc.

Unfortunately none of this worked.
 
thanks for responding.

I did update the firmware on all the cables. First unused whichever one windows installed. That didn’t work so I checked and updated it to the latest firmware from FTDI and ensured that the serial driver and also the com drivers were updated. Theres one of each on the device manager.

Also updated settings on the device manager to the correct communication settings specific for the Rotel Amp which included 115200 baud rate etc.

Unfortunately none of this worked.
 
Yup. Isn’t that this thread?

I was looking at the instructions but I think it’s very specific to those models. The instructions Rotel sent me do essentially the same thing uses the RS-232 which I’ve tried numerous times with no luck.
 
Yup. Isn’t that this thread?

I was looking at the instructions but I think it’s very specific to those models. The instructions Rotel sent me do essentially the same thing uses the RS-232 which I’ve tried numerous times with no luck.
i think someone on diy audio knows what to do
 
i think someone on diy audio knows what to do
I posted a similar thread at DIY Audio but for some reason I haven’t received any response yet. I added some additional information the trouble shooting I’ve done so far.

Would definitely welcome any help I can get. It seems it’s stuck. I think if I can reset it to factory default, that would fix the problem since I believe the issue is caused by the AC Power standby setting I enabled. Kinda sucks that Rotel would release a feature that would essentially brick your amp.

I tried using Putty and Tera Term to send ASCII commands but because it’s not getting any RS232 connection, it isn’t responding to those commands.

There’s a command to reset it to factory default. Also several others including to get its current power status. But nothing comes back as a response from the amp.
 
Back
Top Bottom