• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rotel VS Sansui VS Kenwood

mmcgill829

Active Member
If you had to choose a vintage Rotel RA model, a vintage Sansui AU-xxx/xxxx, or a Kenwood KA model, which would you choose and why?

Maybe keep WPC between 60 and 120 and current price at about $600 on the high end.

Just curious! I've heard good things about all of them, particularly that the Kenwoods and Rotels seem to be underrated. But I've yet to hear a good comparison review between them, or any solid opinions on why one is a better buy over the other.
 
Register to hide this ad
IMO, the three candidates are Rotel RA-1412, Sansui AU-11000, and Kenwood KA-907 or perhaps a 600 Supreme. The Rotel is the least expensive and the least powerful but it is dual transformer and very heavy. The AU-11000 looks great in black. Although I have never owned one, this model is very well respected and a "can't go wrong" choice. The Kenwood KA-907 is also dual transformer and has a satin finish. Very heave and rated at 150 wpc.
 
It'd be the Sansui for me. Beautiful styling, built like tanks, great sound and power, and you'll always find a buyer when it's time to say goodbye.
 
It'd be the Sansui for me. Beautiful styling, built like tanks, great sound and power, and you'll always find a buyer when it's time to say goodbye.

True, the Sansui is very popular and easy to trade out in the unlikely event you do not like the sound.
 
I like Kenwood. I like Sansui. I would probably like Rotel. I always say, when there's a choice to be made, buy 'em all and set up multiple rigs!
 
I have a few smaller watt Sansui units and I think they are great. If I was to actually spend some serious money on a vintage unit I think I would go with Sansui.
I do have a Kenwwod that I like as well, but owning an AU-555A and a TU-555, I think I'd be happy moving up the scale in that line.
Outside of a couple of not too old CD players I picked up this summer I don't really have any experience with Rotel.
 
Last edited:
IMO, the three candidates are Rotel RA-1412, Sansui AU-11000, and Kenwood KA-907 or perhaps a 600 Supreme. The Rotel is the least expensive and the least powerful but it is dual transformer and very heavy. The AU-11000 looks great in black. Although I have never owned one, this model is very well respected and a "can't go wrong" choice. The Kenwood KA-907 is also dual transformer and has a satin finish. Very heave and rated at 150 wpc.

Do you have any experience with the Sansui AU-9900 or 717?
I've heard the former is more 'warm' sounding, while the latter is more 'precise.'

Originally I was considering something new, but basically heard from many people that sub-$1000 I'm not going to find anything that really rivals or beats a really good vintage amp running at spec.

I've heard Kenwoods and Rotels are big sleepers, but I've always aesthetically leaned toward Sansui. I guess it is because of the black faces!

I currently have a Kenwood KR-4400, which is okay -- a step up from the new HK receiver I had -- but still leaves much to be desired. It is low power (45wpc) and really at this point in time I don't have a need for a tuner.
 
Do you have any experience with the Sansui AU-9900 or 717?
I've heard the former is more 'warm' sounding, while the latter is more 'precise.'
I would say that is a close assessment.
Originally I was considering something new, but basically heard from many people that sub-$1000 I'm not going to find anything that really rivals or beats a really good vintage amp running at spec.
This may be true, strictly for purchasing and not DIY.

I've heard Kenwoods and Rotels are big sleepers, but I've always aesthetically leaned toward Sansui. I guess it is because of the black faces!
No argument, there, but the Kenwood Supreme is a bit of a looker. I had a Model 500 and thought it was very good in a lot of respects.
I currently have a Kenwood KR-4400, which is okay -- a step up from the new HK receiver I had -- but still leaves much to be desired. It is low power (45wpc) and really at this point in time I don't have a need for a tuner.
On to separates, then. Good luck with the hunt!
BTW, if you are looking for a good deal on gear, become a subscriber and check the Bartertown section. Your $25 will be repaid many times over.
 
Do you have any experience with the Sansui AU-9900 or 717?
I've heard the former is more 'warm' sounding, while the latter is more 'precise.'

Originally I was considering something new, but basically heard from many people that sub-$1000 I'm not going to find anything that really rivals or beats a really good vintage amp running at spec.

I've heard Kenwoods and Rotels are big sleepers, but I've always aesthetically leaned toward Sansui. I guess it is because of the black faces!

I currently have a Kenwood KR-4400, which is okay -- a step up from the new HK receiver I had -- but still leaves much to be desired. It is low power (45wpc) and really at this point in time I don't have a need for a tuner.

I've not owned an AU-9900 but I did have the superb TU-9900 tuner. I've owned several AU-717's and still have an AU-919, which you might want to consider. The AU-717 is dual transformer and sharp sounding. The AU-919 and the TU-9900 are more laid back. All are excellent choices although I always want more watts.
 
Since i have had Kenwood Ka-907 and have Sansui Au-x1 i would choose the Sansui Au-X1, the Kenwood is really good and im an old Kenwood fan.

The thing is, the Sansui AU-X1 performs as good or better than many preamps/amps, its simply stunning.

as far as Rotel i have no clue, i have only seen cheaper stuff and have not been impressed.

And if overall performance is considered Sansui's old units often sounds very good even if they are from lower series.

That could be said about Kenwood to, i had a KA-7300 i liked alot.
 
I've not owned an AU-9900 but I did have the superb TU-9900 tuner. I've owned several AU-717's and still have an AU-919, which you might want to consider. The AU-717 is dual transformer and sharp sounding. The AU-919 and the TU-9900 are more laid back. All are excellent choices although I always want more watts.

I've actually considered the AU-919 before. I've always heard the opposite: The 919 sounding more sharp and the 717 more laid back. But the 919 is the US version of the D907, correct? I've heard excellent things about the D907.

Laid back would be exactly what I'm looking for. I don't want it to be especially warm or especially crisp.
 
I've actually considered the AU-919 before. I've always heard the opposite: The 919 sounding more sharp and the 717 more laid back. But the 919 is the US version of the D907, correct? I've heard excellent things about the D907.

Laid back would be exactly what I'm looking for. I don't want it to be especially warm or especially crisp.

The AU-919 has dual heat sinks like the 717 but the amp is driven by a single toroidal transformer. There is a second conventional transformer for the preamp section. Pretty neat stuff, the engineers had some say in this model. The AU-919 has a cultured smooth sound that does not lack for detail. In some respects, the AU-717 is a little more forward. If you want in your face sound, the Rotel RA-1412 is a 45 pound monster.

EDIT ADD: To complicate things a little more, the Accuphase E202 integrated has a really engaging sound that has some of the same blended charm as tubes. Unfortunately, there is no phono. 100 wpc and within your 600 dollar budget.

EDIT ADD, PT. II: The Yamaha CA-2010 has the most features including switchable Class A and MC phono (IIRC). Very attractive looking amp. IMO, the Yammy gives up a little in sound quality to the others, it lacks conviction in the bass.
 
Last edited:
The AU-919 has dual heat sinks like the 717 but the amp is driven by a single toroidal transformer. There is a second conventional transformer for the preamp section. Pretty neat stuff, the engineers had some say in this model. The AU-919 has a cultured smooth sound that does not lack for detail. In some respects, the AU-717 is a little more forward. If you want in your face sound, the Rotel RA-1412 is a 45 pound monster.

EDIT ADD: To complicate things a little more, the Accuphase E202 integrated has a really engaging sound that has some of the same blended charm as tubes. Unfortunately, there is no phono. 100 wpc and within your 600 dollar budget.

EDIT ADD, PT. II: The Yamaha CA-2010 has the most features including switchable Class A and MC phono (IIRC). Very attractive looking amp. IMO, the Yammy gives up a little in sound quality to the others, it lacks conviction in the bass.

Gotcha. My only hesitation about the 919 is that it is apparently more difficult to get repaired and has more technical problems. I'd rather not have to double, triple, quadruple the price of the amp by having to send it off to get it repaired. I've read the 717 is much less of a pain in this aspect.

I've been recommended the Accuphase model you mention before. I do plan on getting a separate phono pre relatively soon, so it IS an option. How would it compare to, let's say, a Sansui AU-919?

My goal is to get the best sound quality I can for the price level I'm at, so I'm not sure about the Yamaha. They're definitely pretty, but I don't want that to be what is guiding my decision completely.

Finding the right amp is like finding a spouse it seems! Drawn in by appearance, but they've got to be great on the inside too! :stupid:
 
Gotcha. My only hesitation about the 919 is that it is apparently more difficult to get repaired and has more technical problems. I'd rather not have to double, triple, quadruple the price of the amp by having to send it off to get it repaired. I've read the 717 is much less of a pain in this aspect.

I've been recommended the Accuphase model you mention before. I do plan on getting a separate phono pre relatively soon, so it IS an option. How would it compare to, let's say, a Sansui AU-919?

My goal is to get the best sound quality I can for the price level I'm at, so I'm not sure about the Yamaha. They're definitely pretty, but I don't want that to be what is guiding my decision completely.

Finding the right amp is like finding a spouse it seems! Drawn in by appearance, but they've got to be great on the inside too! :stupid:

What about Marantz?:scratch2: The 1180DC, 1250, and 1200 are all within your budget. The ultra, ultra-rare 1300DC is the best one but very, very expensive.
 
Accuphase aka "Japanese McIntosh" E202. Build quality is superb.

e2021.jpg


e2022.jpg
 
The Rotel equipment I have I bought new about 5 years ago. It all has an incredibly neutral sound, very flat, which I have come to appreciate. I'm very hooked on the digital tuner and the amp is just that now, an amp, I have a tube preamp that runs through the Aux 1. I originally bought the Rotel because it had a decent phonostage built in.

Had a Kenwood KR 770 back in the early 80's that was a really nice receiver.

Never owned a Sansui.
 
Maybe, trying a Sansui AU-717,719 or a Kenwood Supreme would be a good plan. You can resell either of them to recoup your cost and it will give you another set of impressions.
I have the dual-transformer AU-719 and it does not have any sharp edges to it. The same could be said for the Supreme. The Kenwood 500 had great tone and was as close to a good tube amp as I've heard. The 719 has balls.

Maybe I missed it but what speakers do you plan to drive with this upgrade?
 
What about Marantz?:scratch2: The 1180DC, 1250, and 1200 are all within your budget. The ultra, ultra-rare 1300DC is the best one but very, very expensive.

To be perfectly honest, I've never really been enticed by Marantz. I'm not even sure why exactly.
The Accuphase is definitely a pretty amp. The lack of phonostage isn't a huge deal, when I could easily pick up a pretty great pre-amp for under $200, which I'm planning on doing anyway, (possibly the Cambridge Audio 640p).
I can't seem to find one for sale anywhere though. The only two I've found so far are on ebay, which is pretty famous for asking too much for vintage equipment. The one up now has a starting bid at $500 and a reserve set higher than that. No information of whether it has been serviced, and local pickup only. There is one for sale in Japan, but the asking price is +$2000, which, even though it has been serviced and comes with a 1 year warranty, seems outrageous.

Maybe, trying a Sansui AU-717,719 or a Kenwood Supreme would be a good plan. You can resell either of them to recoup your cost and it will give you another set of impressions.
I have the dual-transformer AU-719 and it does not have any sharp edges to it. The same could be said for the Supreme. The Kenwood 500 had great tone and was as close to a good tube amp as I've heard. The 719 has balls.

Maybe I missed it but what speakers do you plan to drive with this upgrade?

Good point. Sansui amps are pretty easy to sell. It wouldn't be very hard to recoup my costs if I ended up not liking the amp very much.
As far as the 719 goes, I've heard it is inferior to both the 717 and 919, but that an 819 would be a good in between, even though they are quite rare.
The 717 seems to be the most easily available of all of them, and the 919 pops up quite often. I'd lean more toward the 717 at this point because of the much discussed reliability issues with the 919.
With the Kenwoods, I have heard great things about the Supreme series. Apparently they were the best Kenwood ever put out. Prices and availability reflect this, however.

EDIT: the speakers I am driving right now are HPM-100s. I do plan on upgrading them as well down the line, but it could easily be a year+ before that happens.
 
Back
Top Bottom