• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rotel VS Sansui VS Kenwood

I have only got experience of a Kenwood Supreme 600. I think it´s a very good amplifier.
It does a good job at getting out of the way of the music.
 
...I can't seem to find one for sale anywhere though. The only two I've found so far are on ebay, which is pretty famous for asking too much for vintage equipment. The one up now has a starting bid at $500 and a reserve set higher than that. No information of whether it has been serviced, and local pickup only. There is one for sale in Japan, but the asking price is +$2000, which, even though it has been serviced and comes with a 1 year warranty, seems outrageous...

...EDIT: the speakers I am driving right now are HPM-100s. I do plan on upgrading them as well down the line, but it could easily be a year+ before that happens.

E202 spec details from the auction site. I wonder if the High Level input is actually phono? That example is nice but getting pricey. Haha, Dumping Factor! Interesting the Soft setting should be so low.

About servicing, the service manual is available free. The offset and bias are easy to adjust. And I think a re-cap would be equally easy, many of the boards are edge connected and easy to remove.

fbay E202 said:
Dumping Factor(8Ω load/40Hz)
Normal: 50
Medium: 5
Soft: 1
Rate Input/Impedance

Main Amp Input: 1.0V/100kΩ
High Level Input: 160mV/100kΩ
DISC1 Input: 2.5mV~5mV/30kΩ, 47kΩ,100kΩ
DISC2 Input: 2.5mV/47kΩ
DISC Maximum Input
DISC1: 300mVrms(Level control maximum)/600mVrms(Level control minimum)
DISC2: 300mVrms
 
One from the Rotel camp

I'd have to put in a plug here for Rotel. I got an RA-812 from a fellow AK'er and it is outstanding! It has a great phono section with selections for capacitance and impedence and the sound is fantastic!
It is also drop dead gorgeous (in my mind).
I thought I needed more uumph so I added an SAE amp and used the Rotel as a pre but honestly I can't tell any difference so may just go back to using the Rotel, that way I get those big beautiful meters bouncing away again!
 

Attachments

  • motorcycle 488.jpg
    motorcycle 488.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 52
Get the E202! My Marantz 1200 just went back to the shelf and in went the E202. Within the last couple of weeks, I've heard the 919 and Kenwood 500 Supreme. While all are nice, if you can have only one, my choice would be the E202. The E202 was the snob selection back in the day and it is still the snob selection today.
 
Like you need anymore support for Sansui. Oh well, here you go....

+1 for Sansui:D

Like has been said- AU-9900, 11000, 20000
AU-717, AU-919
BA/CA- 2000/3000/5000
AU-999, AU-9500

These are my favorites. I've yet to hear any Kenwood or Rotel better the sound from these and I have an RX-1603. I really love the Sansui warmth which is absent in the other two.
 
Get the E202! My Marantz 1200 just went back to the shelf and in went the E202. Within the last couple of weeks, I've heard the 919 and Kenwood 500 Supreme. While all are nice, if you can have only one, my choice would be the E202. The E202 was the snob selection back in the day and it is still the snob selection today.

I just might! I just need to find one at a reasonable price now.

I basically narrowed it down to either the E202 or one of the various Sansui's.
 
Sansui for me

Defintely the Sansui. Great looks, built like tanks and fairly resonable of a price can be paid for a nice unit.
 
Integrated: Sansui AU-11000 or AU-717
Separates: Sansui BA/CA-2000

All are well within your budget, and there should be room left over for getting it refurbished. Definitely worth it, they are incredible all-around performers.
 
Anyone else have any experience with the Accuphase E202?
How does it compare to a Sansui AU-717?

If you own one, how much did you pay for yours?
 
Anyone else have any experience with the Accuphase E202?
How does it compare to a Sansui AU-717?

If you own one, how much did you pay for yours?

I also have a Sansui AU-717 which I like a lot. It is crisper and sharper but lacks the warmth of the E202. Don't get me wrong, the AU-717 is a fine amp and if you like forward sound, an excellent choice.
 
As far as the 719 goes, I've heard it is inferior to both the 717 and 919
listen to the 719 with a good source and you might reconsider..

unless you want an amplifier that allows you to use the pre or power amp independently...(in which case it makes more sense to just buy a separate pre and power amp)...the 719 deserves a serious listen before you dismiss it...
 
I also have a Sansui AU-717 which I like a lot. It is crisper and sharper but lacks the warmth of the E202. Don't get me wrong, the AU-717 is a fine amp and if you like forward sound, an excellent choice.

With a warmer amp, such as the E202, should I pair it with a crisper sounding pre-amp?

The AU-717 has phono inputs, so I could try them, or a different pre-amp.

I want to make sure I get an amp that is versatile enough to handle whatever music I throw at it.
 
With a warmer amp, such as the E202, should I pair it with a crisper sounding pre-amp?

The AU-717 has phono inputs, so I could try them, or a different pre-amp.

I want to make sure I get an amp that is versatile enough to handle whatever music I throw at it.

These are integrateds so running another preamp only lengthens the signal path which is never good.

I'd say both are at the top of the class for the power ratings which are 100 wpc for the E202 and 85 wpc for the AU-717. They are both good all around performers with the E202 being more forgiving with CD's and poor recordings. I think the AU-717 is going to deliver greater clarity which will enhance good recordings.

Both are good choices. So, the deliberation should be over by now. What is YOUR choice?:scratch2:
 
These are integrateds so running another preamp only lengthens the signal path which is never good.

I'd say both are at the top of the class for the power ratings which are 100 wpc for the E202 and 85 wpc for the AU-717. They are both good all around performers with the E202 being more forgiving with CD's and poor recordings. I think the AU-717 is going to deliver greater clarity which will enhance good recordings.

Both are good choices. So, the deliberation should be over by now. What is YOUR choice?:scratch2:

Are the 'Low Level Inputs' on the E202 phono inputs? :withstpd:
Forgive me for that question! haha.
 
Kenwood KR-10000 series III
120 WPC very clean with all the bells
I have 2, One I listen to and another one that only needs bulbs to be right
I think you should also consider Marantz
The only thing I know about Rotel is it tastes good on Wheatthins
 
Are the 'Low Level Inputs' on the E202 phono inputs? :withstpd:
Forgive me for that question! haha.

That's a great question. I have a tough time believing Accuphase did not to equip the E202 with a phono stage. If the low level inputs are for phono and I suspect they are, who did they not call the input Phono? Thinking about this makes my mind spin so I'm going to have to play my E202 and some Floyd...on CD.:music:
 
That's a great question. I have a tough time believing Accuphase did not to equip the E202 with a phono stage. If the low level inputs are for phono and I suspect they are, who did they not call the input Phono? Thinking about this makes my mind spin so I'm going to have to play my E202 and some Floyd...on CD.:music:

The E202 ABSOLUTELY has a phono stage. And a very sweet one at that. In fact it has two inputs for phono use, called "DISC". One input has adjustable levels and the slide switch on the back panel labled "impedance" is the dead giveaway that the E202 has a phono stage.:yes:Widespread distribution of audio CD's predate this excellent integrated by a good 5 years :D

P1170053Large.jpg
 
Last edited:
The E202 ABSOLUTELY has a phono stage. And a very sweet one at that. In fact it has two inputs for phono use, called "DISC". One input has adjustable levels and the slide switch on the back panel labled "impedance" is the dead giveaway that the E202 has a phono stage.:yes:Widespread distribution of audio CD's predate this excellent integrated by a good 5 years :D

P1170053Large.jpg

Have you played with the Damping settings? Normal is 50, Medium is 5, and Soft is only 1! I leave mine in Normal.
 
another vote for AU-919. it's overall a very accurate sound but it actually has two configurations- warmer, softer and more vintage sound with the jump fuction off (which passes the signal through an extra chip amp) and with the jump function on, the sound becomes more analitical yet thinner. also the background noise drops even further and sharpens the imaging. as i understand it the jump function is automatically active when you use the amp in power direct mode. at which case it becomes the most neutral and transparent amplifier i ever heard. so after all, the au 919 is not a limited choice at all. highly recommended.
 
Yet another vote for the Sansui AU-717 or 919. Excellent sounding, built like a TANK, and gorgeous to look at. I wish I still had mine. Still got the TU-717 tuner though....Gooood stuff!
 
Back
Top Bottom