• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

RSL speakers, am I alone?

No Kby, you are not alone. I also have a pair of RSL 6600H's that I purchased from the Torrance Rogersound Labs store location in the late 1970's. By the late 80's I was working for RSL so when the foam surrounds on the woofers went bad I just bought replacement NOS woofers from RSL for cheap since they were no longer using that woofer. Unfortunately my "new" woofers still had "old" foam that didn't last very long so I took the four woofers to Speaker City in Burbank and had them put on butyl rubber surrounds that should hopefully last a long time. The Electro-voice T-35 style horn tweeter spits a tiny bit but apart from that I've always loved how they sound and will never sell them. I also have a pair of 3600's (the final production run) and two pairs of CG-6A's, but the 6600H's are my favorites by far and highly efficient to boot. There are some owners of Elan's here that love them and after the 6600H that was my next favorite late 70's RSL model. In the late 70's RSL also had a tall column "time aligned" model with an slightly rear-angled upper face that sounded superb, but I've never seen a used pair for sale......

Was that the "Speed-screen" or "Seedscreen II"? From what I remember, it was pretty good (fast), but lacked low bass.
 
Any pics of the 6600? You must like them as much as Stickman to have held on to them so long.

Unfortunately only a somewhat beat-up brochure that needs to be scanned...no good camera and they're also spread out in the room but not easily visible together from a single point. However, I'll see what I can do...-kby

[Update: A couple of not-very-good pics of one--they aren't a mirrored design anyway]
 

Attachments

  • 2900327263_fbb4644996.jpg
    2900327263_fbb4644996.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 2900327255_e1c19a9318.jpg
    2900327255_e1c19a9318.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
I don't read much here about RSL speakers, but I'm an avid collector and having A/B's these with almost every other speaker I can get my hands on, I keep coming back. The clean and powerful sound that these speakers produce combined with the beautiful cabinet work (many were solid oak) and solid build quality have me almost obsessed with these. Plus, how can you not love speakers made in Canoga Park, CA? So how many of us are there on AK?

These are the RSL's in my collection that I'm allowed to keep in the house...



RSLfamilyportMedium.jpg

Can you tell me the model # of the small speakers in the middle? I just picked up a set and some spare parts...
 
A few weeks ago I passed on a pair of Elans. It was the holidays and I was having to do the boyfriend thing.

Xmas and New Years can really be a drain on your audio funds. :thumbsdn:

Just had to chime in when I saw the RSL thread which are my favorite speakers but I've been rocking some Sansui AS-100s recently. Pretty sweet.
 
I'm thinking about passing my 3600 studio monitors on to one of my sons. The pots needed cleaning, so I removed the woofer to access them. There is NO internal bracing at all. Just a box! The crossover is sealed/encapsulated, maybe in some sort of epoxy. Wouldn't think of doing a recap. They probably still sound about the same as they did when they were new. He listens to heavy metal, so they should be just fine for that.
 
Rsl model inquiry

Great thread you got going here. Anyway, I picked up these bookshelves a while back and it does not say what model they are. I think they are the "MAGNIFICENT" but i'm not sure. Can anyone recognise them and give me an idea. By the way, they sound awesome!!!
 

Attachments

  • RSL1.jpg
    RSL1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 204
  • RSL3.jpg
    RSL3.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 143
I was at a local SoCal Thrift store today and saw a single RSL Speaker. It was bookshelf size and black so I'm guessing it is a Magnificent. I usually only buy speakers in pairs, so I passed (even though it appeared in good condition with no foam rot). The speaker I saw only had inputs for speakers on the back -- no fuse or adjustment knob though. Perhaps it was a later/cheaper model.

After reading all about RSL in this thread and on their website, I kind of wish I had bought it now. It's the first time I've seen one (my Google search brought me to this thread) and hopefully won't be the last time (preferably next time as a pair!).
 
Last edited:
The model 3800 monitors (with polypropelene woofers and mids) are to be avoided as they did not sound good under any circumstances.


Can't agree with that. I have a pair of 3800s that I bought new at the Westminster store on Beach and would put these up against my L112s any day. Yes, I've had the components out to refoam the woofers and they are certainly not up to the quality of JBL. But the overall sound is very pleasing and makes the L112s sound a little dull.
 
Todd, I actually spent some time working down at the RSL Westminster store. The 3800's they had on display at the the Canoga Park Headquarters store just didn't sound right, so I never paid them much mind after that. They may have had a cross-over issue that affected that particular pair.

Atrac, The RSl speakers to look for are the better models with real wood veneers even if they are painted black (or whitewashed). The economy models (such as the VS and Formula series models) had vinyl clad cabinets and though they often sounded good they don't compare to the better RSL models with the better built cabinets. If you find some CG (compression guide) models in a thrift store, grab 'em!
 
I also picked up a pair of 3800s recently. These are big heavy 3 way speakers. The foam is gone on the woofers. They have relatively large poly cones with a flat edge. Has anyone sourced foam surrounds for them? All the ones I see are for smaller diameter cones and have angled inner edges.

I really want to hear these things. They are physically larger than my JBL Horizons or my ADS 880s but not as big as my Braun LV1020s. The cabinet veneer looks to be good quality too.

- Pete
 
You will probably be able to use a 12" Infinity surround as those have the flat flange. Search Ebay for a supplier. Good luck.
 
I also picked up a pair of 3800s recently. These are big heavy 3 way speakers. The foam is gone on the woofers. They have relatively large poly cones with a flat edge. Has anyone sourced foam surrounds for them? All the ones I see are for smaller diameter cones and have angled inner edges.

I really want to hear these things. They are physically larger than my JBL Horizons or my ADS 880s but not as big as my Braun LV1020s. The cabinet veneer looks to be good quality too.

- Pete

Take the driver out, stop over at Orange County Speaker and they will set you up. I usually take the speaker in after I have it prepped for new surrounds so there is no question that the surround is correct.
 
Will they sell just the surrounds? I don't want to pay for a kit.

- Pete

Yes, they will sell just the surrounds, that is how I buy them as well. They have a good selection, but I always bring the driver in and make sure it matches up correctly.
 
my quest to find a good pair of speakers on a tight budget led me here to AK. after a week or so of looking on CL for old paradigms, b&w's, etc., my dad suggested i find some RSL's as he used to have 3600's back in the day and regrets having given them away (to someone who didn't really appreciate them much). i did my research and i was brought back to AK to find this thread, hehe.

now i've just picked up some 3600's in walnut veneer. they sound great with my kenwood ka-7100 (my dad's old amp which i used with cheap sounding bose monitors for video games when i was younger). now i'm looking for a DAC/headphone amp so that i won't have to use the headphone out of my netbook, though it still sounds nice. i'm kind of worried i might not even hear a difference with an external DAC, hehe.

great thread guys, i usually don't buy anything that has such little information out on them but i'm glad i picked up my 3600's. when i have more room maybe i'll go looking for elans.
 
You can email Howard Rogers directly at: help@rslspeakers.com He loves talking about his old speakers. When he gives you the msrp, remember that RSL sold under a very low overhead so 300 "RSL Dollars" is like 500 "JBL Dollars" The problem with valuing RSL's in today's market is that not many people outside of Southern California know about them. Pricing is all based on demand. This works out pretty well if you're the buyer.. I've always been able to pick up RSL very reasonably. The 3600 was the speaker that put RSL on the map. 250 Watts and a super efficient 91db at 1 watt.
 
Back
Top Bottom