• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SA 9100 Static on left channel - trying to repair need advice/help

There are no Germanium (Ge) transistors in the sa-9100.

Plus Ge has a radically different bias voltage, so other adjustments would be necessary if Si were replacing Ge.
 
I replaced the relay on this unit yesterday and reset the idle current and neutral potential as well but I'm still getting the intermittent protect fault. This was my secondary problem. It is very intermittent though. I was looking at my list of transistors and here is what I have prepared to order for replacements on the protect board, can you verify these are correct?

Q1 - 2SC857K new ??
Q2 - 2SC857K new ??
Q3 - 2SC945 new 512-KSD1616ALBU
Q4 - 2SC945 new 512-KSD1616ALBU
Q5 - 2SA733 new 512-KSA733CLTA
Q6 - 2SC945 new 512-KSD1616ALBU
Q7 - 2SC1384 new 512-KSC2690AYS
 
I used these for my protection board:

original / replacement
q1, q2 ebc 2sc857 / ecb ksc1845
q3, q4, q6 ecb 2sc945 / ebc ksc945
q5 ecb 2sa733 / ebc ksa733
q7 ecb 2sc1384 / ebc ztx694b
 
I used these for my protection board:

original / replacement
q1, q2 ebc 2sc857 / ecb ksc1845
q3, q4, q6 ecb 2sc945 / ebc ksc945
q5 ecb 2sa733 / ebc ksa733
q7 ecb 2sc1384 / ebc ztx694b


markthefixer
Do you have a preference between any of these? When we put together our list I got some of my replacement numbers from you on this I believe. Please let me know which ones you see as best to use on the protect board??
Thanks
 
I used these for my protection board:

original / replacement
q1, q2 ebc 2sc857 / ecb ksc2310 (** preferred ** closer to the 857's 200v)
if you want to play a numbers ganme:
512-ksc2330 to-92L ecb 300v 0.1a 1w 50mhz 40-240hfe no 300v pnp complement

q3, q4, ecb 2sc945 / ebc ksc945C fine, but the C has eCb instead of eBc pinout
q5 ecb 2sa733 / ebc ksa733C fine, but the C has eCb instead of eBc pinout
Q6 ecb 2sc945 / ksd1616A think of the 1616 as a higher current 945

q7 ecb 2sc1384 / ebc ztx694b will be ok, but not a lot of surface area to shed heat - maybe it's intended to run hotter and withstand it.
I prefer the
512-KSC2690AYS to-126 ecb 120/a160 1.2a 20w 155mhz 35-320hfe $0.40
 
Last edited:
original / replacement
q1, q2 ebc 2sc857 / ecb ksc2310 (** preferred ** closer to the 857's 200v)
if you want to play a numbers ganme:
512-ksc2330 to-92L ecb 300v 0.1a 1w 50mhz 40-240hfe no 300v pnp complement

q3, q4, ecb 2sc945 / ebc ksc945C fine, but the C has eCb instead of eBc pinout
q5 ecb 2sa733 / ebc ksa733C fine, but the C has eCb instead of eBc pinout
Q6 ecb 2sc945 / ksd1616A think of the 1616 as a higher current 945

q7 ecb 2sc1384 / ebc ztx694b will be ok, but not a lot of surface area to shed heat - maybe it's intended to run hotter and withstand it.
I prefer the
512-KSC2690AYS to-126 ecb 120/a160 1.2a 20w 155mhz 35-320hfe $0.40

As always, great information - I will update my list with the ones you currently recommend as I have one last SA-9100 to go under the knife. My wife prefers the look of the SA-9100 to the Yamaha CA-1000 so she wants it in our family room.
 
original / replacement
q1, q2 ebc 2sc857 / ecb ksc2310 (** preferred ** closer to the 857's 200v)
if you want to play a numbers ganme:
512-ksc2330 to-92L ecb 300v 0.1a 1w 50mhz 40-240hfe no 300v pnp complement

q3, q4, ecb 2sc945 / ebc ksc945C fine, but the C has eCb instead of eBc pinout
q5 ecb 2sa733 / ebc ksa733C fine, but the C has eCb instead of eBc pinout
Q6 ecb 2sc945 / ksd1616A think of the 1616 as a higher current 945

q7 ecb 2sc1384 / ebc ztx694b will be ok, but not a lot of surface area to shed heat - maybe it's intended to run hotter and withstand it.
I prefer the
512-KSC2690AYS to-126 ecb 120/a160 1.2a 20w 155mhz 35-320hfe $0.40

So Q3, Q4, and Q6 can use the KSD1616A? Or stick with the KSC945 for Q3, and Q4. I'm just trying to simplify the lowest number of different transistors.
Thanks
 
So Q3, Q4, and Q6 can use the KSD1616A? Or stick with the KSC945 for Q3, and Q4. I'm just trying to simplify the lowest number of different transistors.
Thanks

In this case, go ahead, swap all 1616's for the 945's.
 
Although I'm not nearly finished with this project and after listening for a couple of days, with very few protect faults interrupting the listening, this unit really is special!! All I can say is WOW!! The phono section has renewed my faith in vinyl to say the least. I have 4 other amplifers with good phono sections that do not even compare. The wattage is really under rated for this unit or my others are over rated not sure which. All the other source inputs stand out as well but the phono really just does it for me. You said it can really shine and you were right!!

I wanted to extend my sincere gratitude to you Markthefixer, and others that have contributed on this, for putting up with my ignorance and all the help you have given me. It is truly rare that someone gives in such a selfless manner like you have done with this project. And to have results like I'm having is nothing short of inspiring.

As a result of this I'm setting my sights on a second and maybe third unit for a system in another room for which I will perform the same work whether working condition or not. To me it is like a classic Farrari!!

THANK YOU!!
 
Last edited:
Saw recently on the "Auction site" that people are paying almost $200 for the SA 9100 with descriptions that say "no output" so they are buying something they know is not working for $200+. Looks higher than I have seen in the past and I'm wondering if people have found some of the posts on Audiokarma about the repairs that can be made easily to this amp as a result of these lists being posted. Food for thought...
 
Saw recently on the "Auction site" that people are paying almost $200 for the SA 9100 with descriptions that say "no output" so they are buying something they know is not working for $200+. Looks higher than I have seen in the past and I'm wondering if people have found some of the posts on Audiokarma about the repairs that can be made easily to this amp as a result of these lists being posted. Food for thought...

That does seem really high! I have paid up to $100 for non-working units - even working ones that are stock seem to hover around $200. Restored ones go upwards of $350.

A sign the economy is improving OR the SA-9100 is starting to blip on the vintage audio radar more often.
 
I'd like to pick up a second and maybe third unit but with prices like this I'm thinking not right now anyway.. I am glad that the value is creeping up though. While looking recently my thoughts were I would rather buy a unit that is not working because if bought as working, they would not work much longer and you would still have to do the same work regardless. I'm thinking you should be able to get one of these in "non-working" condition for less than $100.
 
There is a Pioneer SA-9100 that looks nice on that auction site for $129 buy it now and he said it works just fine. Must Resist!!!
 
The auction ended at 5:01 pm PST. You must have just missed it.. I wanted it so bad but I'm already in too deep with a few other pieces and I already had one of these I am still restoring.. It was a good deal for someone. That is why I posted it in the hopes that one of you would go after it.. Man I hate that you missed it..

It must have been bought as I was looking at it last. I should have bought it when I had the chance. That's the way it always ends up. When you're not looking or ready to buy is when you find the best deals.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom