• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sandy G Status Report!

Of course, the important item here ... any improvements in sound handling? I'm real happy with W8's WASAPI ... next best thing to bit perfect it is. Nary a hiccup here in sKiZoLand since the upgrade.

AFAIK W 10 s ASIO , Direct Sound emulation and WASAPI are same same as W8's ASIO , Direct Sound emulation and WASAPI .
keeping with the low overhead sound plan rather than old school CPU intensive Kernel streaming.
 
Last edited:
Great ... no reason for me to upgrade the HTPC then. Only gets through my firewall is my firewall looking for updates. W8 updates are even shut off.

Which reminds me. The fact that MS decided not to offer service packs or an offline upgrade option is unconscionable - as in unethical, amoral, immoral, unprincipled, indefensible, unforgivable, and just plain wrong - had to look up the spelling ... ;-}

They seem to have forgotten about us schmucks here in the hinterland with several computers to update and only one limited internet connection. They've got an ISO on the MSDN, but now you need a password and account to get to it ... (Grouse grumble mumble ... GROUSE GRUMBLE MUMBLE! I say!! )

Er ... what was the topic? :scratch2:
 
Eh ...

Not an issue using jRiver Media Center for a front end player. That's da bom for anything audio in my corner of paradise. One stop shopping and all that - if it don't do it, it don't need to be done ...

PS ... how exactly does it support FLAC if it doesn't even support Media Player?
 
Eh ...

Not an issue using jRiver Media Center for a front end player. That's da bom for anything audio in my corner of paradise. One stop shopping and all that - if it don't do it, it don't need to be done ...

PS ... how exactly does it support FLAC if it doesn't even support Media Player?

Windows Media player is still included as well as an X box music app and another music player modern UI tile app in W10 (only Windows Media Center is not .) Navigation,networking and a lot of other things are much better also and it renders images a lot faster with an improved graphics renderer (and feels faster ) despite some depreciation in Passmark 8.0 x64 Disc Mark and Memory Mark scores :( . Gamers are all about it now it comes with DX 12 baked in and better multi screen support .

Try the latest x64 VLC for an audio player and don't be surprised if it sounds better than J.River ,Foobar 2000, iTunes or WMP . ☺


The new Version 10 NT kernel is more efficient W10 will make you throw rocks at anything else if you aren't invested in WMC .

I have it on this PC as my daily driver now on a primary hdd partition dual boot configuration (runs like a scalded dog .) When the beta period is over I will just do a clean install and migrate everything onto that .( on 3 PC's here not counting this one ,4 altogether )

Ofc.you could run an HTPC with a Wifi SoC (AKA Chrome Stick or Roku stick and headless N.A.S. ) x86 CPU is pretty much overkill for an HTPC unless you are invested in x86 front end , editing , trans-coding ripping and or gaming or playing 4K high bit rate video which you can do from a ~$350.00 Sony hdd player .

All that being said nothing wrong with overkill now and then either :)

I'm Wi Fi streaming some music from my headless NAS into this PC out to a DAC and headphone amp right now. ☺
 
Last edited:
I'm BAAAAAAAAACK.......My Samsung computer-AKA "Damdung" had a hard drive failure. the Geek Squad put a new one in, & it was Off to the Races. But I have a good 2 weeks' worth of Bile & Such to Spew Forth upon, & I shall, soon...
 
I'm BAAAAAAAAACK.......My Samsung computer-AKA "Damdung" had a hard drive failure. the Geek Squad put a new one in, & it was Off to the Races. But I have a good 2 weeks' worth of Bile & Such to Spew Forth upon, & I shall, soon...

noce to see you back :-) you probally have over 10000 new posts to sort through:D
 
I'm BAAAAAAAAACK.......My Samsung computer-AKA "Damdung" had a hard drive failure. the Geek Squad put a new one in, & it was Off to the Races. But I have a good 2 weeks' worth of Bile & Such to Spew Forth upon, & I shall, soon...

Uh oh....time to duck and cover. :thmbsp:
 
I DID have my wife's Ipod doohickey to "Play" with... I finally figgered out how to access AK, & could read posts, but never did figger out how to "Post" w/it.. Damthing w/its tee-ninecy buttons, & me w/my arthritic, Jimmy Buffet style "Island Sized Paws"...
 
Welcome back ya big lug. It was gettin way too genteel up in here. Some of em were starting to trade quiche recipes.
 
Back
Top Bottom