• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui 881

canuckaudiog

On a quest for high fidelity
Hey guys,

I spotted a Sansui 881.. I'm considering it. It's in swell shape and is going for $40. Owner says previous owner replaced lamps with LED so that's nice. Also, he says it produces a slight hum at higher volumes. Mentions something about this being normal for this model.

Is $40 a steal or a normal price for this unit?
 
Register to hide this ad
All right, gonna give it a shot then.

I've got a G4700 this might replace, so either way I'll come out ahead.
 
Got it!

I'll get some pictures up later, for now gonna check DC offset on this unit.

It wasn't in exactly the most amazing shape, missing the screws for the wooden cabinet (oh well) and there's a little chunk of wood missing on the top of the wooden cabinet, but other then that it's in nice shape. Powers up fine and sounds good. I think this will nicely replace my G4700 :)
 
Ask and ye shall receive!

dsc00755r.jpg

dsc00758r.jpg

dsc00760bw.jpg


A bit of a fixer-upper, but I think in the end for what I paid it's more than worth it. :)
 
Thanks guys! :D

This is going to be a really fun project for me. I plan to go through the entire unit, reflow most of the solder joints, adjust DC offset, and possibly this might be the unit I decide to recap. Doesn't look like a tough one to work on, the interior is very nice.
 
Super awesome receiver. If you are comfortable recapping it it will probably stick around for a long time. I regret selling mine years ago.
 
I would replace the three black caps you can see with something the same size physically. That will mean they are of a much higher uF rating. Also replace that braid to ground on the big caps.
And then I wouldn't do anything else to it. Enjoy it!
 
It's a nice and solid receiver.
Allows 3 pairs to hook up at once. Great for A/B/C'ing. ;)
My 881 is waiting for bulbs.
 
I have read that a person should buy every 881 they find. They sound beautiful, I'm told. If it sounds anything as good as my friends 5000, it's a winner!
 
Nice score! One thing I learned recently is that Sansui used caps that were either made in-house, or specially made for them. In any event, the upshot seems to be that when they are replaced with new caps, they don't sound the same as they did before they were re-capped. You might want to consider running this by someone in the Sansui forum first before re-capping it.

Just an FYI... :D
 
Last edited:
One thing I learned recently is that Sansui used caps that were either made in-house, or specially made for them. In any event, the upshot seems to be that when they are replaced with new caps, they don't sound the same as they did before they were re-capped.

First time hearing that one. Do you have the source? Thanks.
 
Back
Top Bottom