• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui 881

$40 is a score for an 881 even needing some work. Congrats on a great little receiver. It is very easy to work on as well.
 
Nice score! One thing I learned recently is that Sansui used caps that were either made in-house, or specially made for them. In any event, the upshot seems to be that when they are replaced with new caps, they don't sound the same as they did before they were re-capped. You might want to consider running this by someone in the Sansui forum first before re-capping it.

Just an FYI... :D

Definitely if I end up recapping it (which is very likely) that I will have to seek out proper replacements. I'm a do it once kinda guy, I would hate to have to get new parts and put them in after the fact. Then again it's all a learning phase for me anyways, but thank you for bringing that up.
 
You're welcome! I figure that it's better to be informed, than not. It may well turn out to be a tempest in a teacup, but at least you're aware of it. Good luck! :D
 
Good deal on a good receiver. The hum issue with those isn't at high volumes, however - it's when the volume is turned all the way down or during very quiet passages in the music. There is a constant background hum that many of those are known for (I've had a number of the 881 and 771 receivers pass through here and they've all had it). Recapping it and re-flowing the solder joints wouldn't get it, neither would re-establishing all ground connections. It's just something that many of them do, but still a nice receiver at a nice price.
 
Oh I say it gives many larger receivers a run for their money. Mine hums a tiny bit in the left channel even with volume at minimum, but not noticeable with any volume. If you are hearing it at volume I think you have another issue.

In another post on AK someone had mentions the close proximity of the speaker terminals to the transformer could be a possible cause. Others have claimed to have found grounding issue or bad solder joints and fixed the hum. Maybe I'll open this one again and do some poking.
 
It's been fabulous so far. Excellent sound and the tuner is pretty good too. It's currently in operation as the wife's main receiver - it was a nice upgrade over her G4700. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom