• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui 9010

LBPete

Rolling Along
Subscriber
Here’s a receiver you don’t see often. The 9010 is the black faced version of the 881. I was looking for an 881 and found this 9010. It is identical to the 881 except for the different designation and the black out panels on the face plate.

The 881/9010 shares some features with it’s bigger brothers the 8080 and 9090. It shares a variation of the driver board used in the bigger models. It also has a caged tuning cap, triple tone controls, and provisions for three sets of speakers. But that’s where the similarities end.

The 881/9010 does not have power meters or a lighted dial pointer. The power supply is not nearly as robust and it has a vinyl cabinet with slot vents rather than the stamped steel grill used on its beefier brothers. This is a step down from the wood covered cabinet on the Eight Deluxe, which preceded it as TOTL. It is also a physically small receiver compared to the x0x0 models.

It does have a couple of features that the 8080/9090 do not have. The chassis is cad plated. The x0x0 series didn’t get cad plating until almost the end of production. But best of all the 9010/881 have two, count them, two aux. inputs, a very rare feature indeed. (Highly prized TOTL receivers like the Concept 16.5 lack an aux. input all together.)

The 881 was produced from August ’74 until July ’76. Towards the end, the serial number record gets a little spotty. There are no units on file built in April, May or June 1976 which could indicate that production was paused during that period.

It was Sansui’s TOTL receiver for approximately a year. Production of the 8080 and 9090 began in August ’75.

The 881/9010 is a good mid power receiver with some worthy features. It’s a shame that we had to wait for the 9090 to see the return of the wood covered cabinets.

- Pete
 

Attachments

  • 881.jpg
    881.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 881 interior.jpg
    881 interior.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 134
Register to hide this ad
Very Cool

Beautiful receiver. Did you find it locally? Since it's closely related to the 8080/9090 does it have a similar sound? The tranny looks massive.
 
Looks good! I am lookin for a nice eight deluxe right now. I think they are a nice looking receiver.
 
It was an ebay purchase. It got a little beat up in transit. They guy packed it in wadded up newspaper. I haven't had a chance to give it a full audition so the jury is still out.

- Pete
 
Wadded up newspaper. WOW!
I had a Mirage center channel speaker shipped to me from an eBay seller with some newspaper surrounding the speaker. I swear it was just a couple of pieces thrown in and not even wadded up! Needless to say the speaker arrived damaged. The seller felt stupid and refunded most of my money. Some people are clueless. :yes:
 
Beautiful receiver. Did you find it locally? Since it's closely related to the 8080/9090 does it have a similar sound? The tranny looks massive.
I have a 881 in good condition, & a 7070 with a funky tuner. When I used a good tuner with the 7070, it sounded VERY similar to the 881. Like LBPete said, the most noticeable differences are the cab/faceplate physical appearance, and the lack of power meters on the 881. BTW, I have the "hot-rodded" version of the Eight Deluxe, the 7000, & it's a totally different animal. I'll be keeping my 7000 in my main rig, at least until I find a suitable quad. :yes: BTW, nice score, LBPete, especially since it's the black-dialed version.
 
The amp in the 7070 is a version of the amp in the 9090DB. It's a step up from the amp in the 881. The 7000 is the hot rod version of the Eight. The Eight Deluxe is a whole different animal. From what I understand it's quite a bit different internally than the Eight and 7000.

- Pete
 
Here’s a receiver you don’t see often. The 9010 is the black faced version of the 881. I was looking for an 881 and found this 9010. It is identical to the 881 except for the different designation and the black out panels on the face plate.

The 881/9010 shares some features with it’s bigger brothers the 8080 and 9090. It shares a variation of the driver board used in the bigger models. It also has a caged tuning cap, triple tone controls, and provisions for three sets of speakers. But that’s where the similarities end.

The 881/9010 does not have power meters or a lighted dial pointer. The power supply is not nearly as robust and it has a vinyl cabinet with slot vents rather than the stamped steel grill used on its beefier brothers. This is a step down from the wood covered cabinet on the Eight Deluxe, which preceded it as TOTL. It is also a physically small receiver compared to the x0x0 models.

It does have a couple of features that the 8080/9090 do not have. The chassis is cad plated. The x0x0 series didn’t get cad plating until almost the end of production. But best of all the 9010/881 have two, count them, two aux. inputs, a very rare feature indeed. (Highly prized TOTL receivers like the Concept 16.5 lack an aux. input all together.)

The 881 was produced from August ’74 until July ’76. Towards the end, the serial number record gets a little spotty. There are no units on file built in April, May or June 1976 which could indicate that production was paused during that period.

It was Sansui’s TOTL receiver for approximately a year. Production of the 8080 and 9090 began in August ’75.

The 881/9010 is a good mid power receiver with some worthy features. It’s a shame that we had to wait for the 9090 to see the return of the wood covered cabinets.

- Pete

And the {ta ta} serial number is? :scratch2: Nice find, Pete! Congrats.

Paul
 
Pete's Pile

Hmmm Pete, seems you are getting quite a pile of Sansui too, is this a competition between us at AK? That 9010 is a rare beast isn't it?
Casey:yes:
 
The amp in the 7070 is a version of the amp in the 9090DB. It's a step up from the amp in the 881. The 7000 is the hot rod version of the Eight. The Eight Deluxe is a whole different animal. From what I understand it's quite a bit different internally than the Eight and 7000.

- Pete

I think one of us should aquire all 3, & compare them, so we aren't all as confused as I am. :D
 
HEy, gang, I have a 7000 and an 881, and a 9090(not the dolby issue) and am crazy about this stuff. My first real receiver was a Model 6, and it had more features and quality built in to it than all the competition, hands down.

I got another one, and a few 8's, 7's etc. Sold most of the non-working 8's,still kept a nice one that needs work. Had a 9700 with lots of problems, so am a little gunshy on the 'newer' stuff.
 
Hi LBPete.
Another great score I see. I found a 8010 In my local CL this past summer.
The guy had the Box & all packing (Org Owner) Were these models only released to servicemen? Thanks Rick

P.S maybe tonight after I deal with all this snow I can fire up the 8010.
 
Digging up an old thread here. Good to hear from another Sansui fan. The 9010 started blowing a fuse a while back and it's on the fix me pile. I swear I suffer from Audio ADD.

The 8010 is the alternate version of the 771. The X010 series was the predecessor to the "black faced" alternate versions like the 990. Don't know for sure how these alternate versions were distributed. Stene has stated that both versions were available to Sansui distributors at the time. Carrying both models meant stocking more stuff so most outlets just stocked the more popular one.

I also think the alternate modes served to make price comparison more difficult. Some of you old guy may remember how price competitive this market was. Having alternate versions would allow two competitors to carry different models and not compete head to head.

- Pete
 
Hey Pete,
How long have you been collection Sansui equipment? Seems like your a major help to troubled Sansui fans. Later Rick
 
I see there is a very nice looking 9010 on the bay right now. Thinking about taking a stab - i miss my 881!
 
Back
Top Bottom