• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui AU-555a vs AU-888

toomuchery

New Member
Hey AK

Been looking into upgrading the power of my system. Currently running The AU-555a, and got myself some less efficient speakers, and thinking of upgrading to an AU-888.
Guessing it won't be as direct as "same sound, more power" type of transition, how does the 555a compare to the 888?

I know the 555a output is cap-coupled, and the 888s output are not the same (CMIIW), how does the difference effect the sonic signature? if I really like the 555a sound would i be better off with a power amp?. Such as, your adcoms and haflers of the world. Just trying to get the best deal out of my wallet really.

The AU-888 would cost more than an Adcom gfa-545 or a Hafler XL280 where I live, what do you guys think?

Would love the input from the Exclusively Sansui people

Cheers
 
Register to hide this ad
It has been many years since I owned both, but I recall them sounding very similar. I kept the AU-888.

When I restored the AU-555A, it actually improved the sound. Not something I usually notice to the extent of the AU-555A. The bloated bass was much tighter.

I sold off the 555A before I restored the 888, so couldn't make that comparison.

Don't expect to notice a huge difference in power.

The AU-888 is not as common as the AU-555A and the price reflects that.

If more power is what you seek, get a power amp and use the AU-555A as the preamp.

Rob
 
The AU-888 is an updated AU-999, despite what the model numbering might have you believe. It incorporates many of the tweaks (or equivalents thereof) identified for the AU-999 in this forum. In short, it’s an excellent sounding amp and would be my personal choice over the 555A as I prefer its sound quality.

Each to their own though!
 
Back
Top Bottom