• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui R50 vs Pioneer SA-610

Kazzu88

New Member
Hi,

I'm looking for a vintage amplifier or amplituner. I have for the moment two options: Sansui R50 and Pioneer SA-610. The price is almost the same. I am interested wich one have the best sound quality.

Thank you!
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't know the Pioneer model, but the "R" series is the worst junk Sansui ever made, definitely a low point. They have bottoms made of press board rather than metal, that should tell you something right there. The heat sinks were too small and the output stages were poorly designed with not enough output transistors and they blew up all the time. I repaired many of them when they were new.
Save your money and buy something better. For Sansui:
Model Eight or Eight Deluxe
Model Seven
881
7070
5000
4000

For Pioneer
SX980
SX880
SX950
SX939
SX838
SX780
 
I don't know if I would go so far as to call it the worst junk Sansui ever made but I would definately be looking for something better.A good list from dr*audio and perhaps open it up to some of the lower powered models also.I had an R50 and an R70.
 
I'd go for the Pioneer SA-610 amp...I've got one and it sounds decent for a small amp and a lot better than my Sansui R7 receiver which is similar sounding to the Sansui R50... although,think I'd try to get hold of something like a Sansui AU-217 MKII over the Pioneer SA-610.
 
Hi,

I'm looking for a vintage amplifier or amplituner. I have for the moment two options: Sansui R50 and Pioneer SA-610. The price is almost the same. I am interested wich one have the best sound quality.

Thank you!

Save your money up for something better. Both of those were produced in the early 80's when Japanese audio was on the slide with cost cutting and short cuts. A lot of it had to do with the yen vs the dollar at the time. The Japanese really had no choice in order to salvage a profit.
I've had several of the receivers on Dr. Audio's list and concur.
 
Not off hand but I would think something shortly after these.

As I recall, after the "A", "R" and "T" series came the "Z" series. There was a Zxxxx series and a xxxxZ series of receivers. One was junk and one was good and I can never remember which was which, but neither were made as cheaply as the "R" series. Believe me, I worked on all of them.
 
In the end i bought an Dual CR 1780. It was more expensive than pioneer and sansui, but is in very good condition, looks great and sound fantastic.
 
As I recall, after the "A", "R" and "T" series came the "Z" series. There was a Zxxxx series and a xxxxZ series of receivers. One was junk and one was good and I can never remember which was which, but neither were made as cheaply as the "R" series. Believe me, I worked on all of them.

I had a couple of xxxxZ series and I thought they were pretty good.
 
Back
Top Bottom