• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui Rack Handles

PostAmp

New Member
Hi

So, I recently received my "new" Sansui AU-317 with matching TU-317 tuner. (Smells like an ash tray, but that's vintage electronics for you)

I paid a lot extra for units with the rack handles because I rack mount my gear and figured it was just easier(/slightly cheaper) than buying a new rack shelf.

Now I suppose I am a little frustrated because - despite all the thousands of posts devoted to this line (AU-x17) - no one mentioned that these are not configured for the standard 19" rack! Yes, it is 19" across, but the vertical measurements are so far off I don't know how to even rig a solution. They require huge gaps left on the rack above and below each component. :(((

I really don't even get the reason these handles are on here, to be honest. Does the Sansui-branded rack allow for these discrepancies? I'm suspicious of even that, given they have products of varying U spaces. 19" was standard since the 1930s - and these DO conform to the rack spacing - but the brackets overlap the bordering holes.

I was excited for Sansui, but this is a serious amateur-hour development with respect to product design.
 
Register to hide this ad
Didn't have any problem getting my 717 components and matching SE-7 to fit this vintage 70's rack... which is not a Sansui piece BTW.

picture.php


Some of the other components actually gave me more trouble but I eventually got it all sorted out.

John
 
Are you trying to use a modern computer rack?

Racks have been standardized for almost 100 years. I'm using a standard rack. I have racks from the 1960s and they have the exact same holes as the newest one.

The 717 might be mountable because of where the holes are located. On the 317/217, there's no way this fits into a standard rack. Very disappointing.

In fact, the only way to get them IN the rack is to use a shelf which requires me to take the "rack handles" off!

That's what I did. Fine. Not the end of the world - but if I knew I was going to use a shelf I could have done this whole thing differently.
 
Well I know the gear is standard rack 19". As far as fit to current standards like R1, R2 and so forth don't believe they had it sized out like that back then. For one thing components were much larger than todays.

Sansui's consumer racks have a slot the length of the rack.Gear can be mounted anywhere on the track.

Do you not have the capability/tools to mount them where you need them to the rails? Split holes and such.
 
Well I know the gear is standard rack 19". As far as fit to current standards like R1, R2 and so forth don't believe they had it sized out like that back then. For one thing components were much larger than todays.

Sansui's consumer racks have a slot the length of the rack.Gear can be mounted anywhere on the track.

Do you not have the capability/tools to mount them where you need them to the rails? Split holes and such.

The current standard is the same as the standard in 1970. I actually think the rack I have them in now (on a shelf) is contemporaneous to the amp.

I COULD drill holes, but since this rack retails for about $1200, I'll pass on that option. I guess the secret to mounting these is having those sliding channels. That's certainly atypical and not what would be called "professional" grade.

Gear was (sometimes) bigger in the old days -- but mounting has always been standard for pro audio/video/computer gear. I've mounted stuff from the 2010s and the 1950s in the same rack no problem.

I guess the point of this thread is a "caveat emptor" to people looking to rack mount Sansui - you will need their proprietary rack, or something homemade. It is NOT standard 19".

That said, I might sell the handles on ebay. From what I've seen recently, they go for about $40/each. That will basically recoup the cost of the gear!
 
Last edited:
I COULD drill holes, but since this rack retails for about $1200, I'll pass on that option. I guess the secret to mounting these is having those sliding channels. That's certainly atypical and not what would be called "professional" grade.

Bear in mind that we're talking about consumer-grade gear here. I doubt that Sansui warranted that it would fit pro-grade racks. It was designed to suit the matching Sansui 19" consumer-grade racks.

I can definitely understand your frustration, and it's certainly worth noting for anyone wanting to mount Sansui gear in pro-grade racks if there is no adjustability in the rack itself.
 
So they do line up but they affect the next mounting point.

By the way you keep mentioning Profesional, what you have is consumer not pro gear. It was designed to look pro rack for home use.
 
Bear in mind that we're talking about consumer-grade gear here. I doubt that Sansui warranted that it would fit pro-grade racks. It was designed to suit the matching Sansui 19" consumer-grade racks.

I can definitely understand your frustration, and it's certainly worth noting for anyone wanting to mount Sansui gear in pro-grade racks if there is no adjustability in the rack itself.

ha ha ha we were thinking the same thing at the same time. :thmbsp:
 
ha ha ha we were thinking the same thing at the same time. :thmbsp:

Indeedery! :banana:

So they do line up but they affect the next mounting point.

By the way you keep mentioning Profesional, what you have is consumer not pro gear. It was designed to look pro rack for home use.

Yep, Sansui's sales literature never said 'compatible with professional 19" racks'. It simply mentioned that it was compatible with the Sansui range of racks. The design never had professional third-party racks in mind.
 
Indeedery! :banana:



Yep, Sansui's sales literature never said 'compatible with professional 19" racks'. It simply mentioned that it was compatible with the Sansui range of racks. The design never had professional third-party racks in mind.

And the professional grade gear of the time they had didn't have rack mounts at all.
 
right. duly noted.

It's just kind of silly that it is sooo close to being correct, could easily have been designed to be compatible, but just isn't. It's the "pretend" aspect that's frustrating. I accept not all gear will rack mount - it's an odd need for the vast majority. But then don't tease!

I think the pioneer spec series is compliant. Some Nikko stuff I saw too looked correct. Sansui tricked me...:( Even if not "professional," it's high-end enough to warrant some seriousness in the accessories dept. I can't imagine any company doing something like this today.

That said, the gear looks pretty cool. I don't have speakers here to hookup yet, but it worked over headphones. Can't wait to try it out under full power.

tl;dr - If I could do it over again, I'd just pay less for an earless au-317 and use a shelf.
 
Lol dude @ PostAmp

Let me just ask you something without badgering you.

Can you see your negative attitude as others do?
 
Last edited:
Lol dude @ PostAmp

Let me just ask you something without badgering you.

Came you see your negative attitude as others do?

Yeah, of course.

Can you see how I think it's silly to have all this commotion about rack handles that don't conform to the standard?

I don't think it's a HUGE deal - but, personally, I wouldn't have minded seeing this mentioned in all the discussion on it. I did a lot of research - this site is the best and biggest resource but there's hundreds of others - and no one ever tried putting these in a rack? In the past 40 years? Haha. I think it's funny - maybe that comes off more negative than I actually feel.
 
Yeah, of course.

Can you see how I think it's silly to have all this commotion about rack handles that don't conform to the standard?

I don't think it's a HUGE deal - but, personally, I wouldn't have minded seeing this mentioned in all the discussion on it. I did a lot of research - this site is the best and biggest resource but there's hundreds of others - and no one ever tried putting these in a rack? In the past 40 years? Haha. I think it's funny - maybe that comes off more negative than I actually feel.

Many are in racks, many do not have issues. You do and your rack witch in this thread have failed to mention the maker.

Commotion were? It's your thread you started it for whatever reason. Then when others respond there all wrong but you.

Your the one buying something thats 40 years old and when it doesn't fit your new rack perfectly you want to stomp around and cry about it lol.

You must have not did your research very well. Someone posted this same topic about 40 days ago although they did a lot less crying about it.

All that said looking at your rack and the mount it fits. It block the next hole up from it and should for a substantial mount. The problem is your rack and the lack of mounting holes. One should have a continuous hole pattern like the two close holes the full length of the rack.

Similar to this pattern, And this adapter might work for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Rack-...ack_Cases_Hard_Cases_Bags&hash=item4d17c166b5
$_57.JPG


Also in the series that your 317 is from your closer to the bottom of the line of the series. Most of the higher grade units are taller than a 317 witch would also change the hole pattern.

Maybe you should sell the Sansui and go find a Pioneer or something :thmbsp:
 
I don't see anything at Best Buy with rack handles.

Rob

Well they do but everything these days are light components with thin sheet metal mounting like this.

$_57.JPG


The problem is the lack of mounting holes the OP's rack has.
This is how it should be. Every 1" a hole

$(KGrHqEOKpgFJjUOhd0cBSbWRzg-VQ~~60_1.JPG
 
Back
Top Bottom