Kico
Here's lookin' at you kid
The fix for Sansui TU-717 Dial Lamps
I know this has been discussed here before (reading the posts), so I was thinking maybe a twin lead bulb...then threading the leads through the rubber mounting piece which plugs onto the lamp pins in the tuner.
Found the solution:
I found the 8V 300mA bulbs here:
http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/vlamp.html
(Bottom of page) I used the wedge type.
If you look closely at the "U" shaped folded contacts, you can see which end of the contact goes to the filament and which end dead ends in the glass. Snip the dead-end end of both contacts (very close to the bulb) and unfold the contacts which results in a wire about 5/8" long. You can then remove the old bulb by pulling the wires out of the contact holes in the rubber base with needle nose pliers, slip in the modded lamps and push the contact wires back into the base contact holes.
They end up being just a wee bit taller but the voltage, current and brightness is dead on. No soldering, no drilling to install screw sockets, no-muss or fuss. Installs just like the originals and it's not an expensive fix.
This should work on other models too, like the TU-517.
I know this has been discussed here before (reading the posts), so I was thinking maybe a twin lead bulb...then threading the leads through the rubber mounting piece which plugs onto the lamp pins in the tuner.
Found the solution:
I found the 8V 300mA bulbs here:
http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/vlamp.html
(Bottom of page) I used the wedge type.
If you look closely at the "U" shaped folded contacts, you can see which end of the contact goes to the filament and which end dead ends in the glass. Snip the dead-end end of both contacts (very close to the bulb) and unfold the contacts which results in a wire about 5/8" long. You can then remove the old bulb by pulling the wires out of the contact holes in the rubber base with needle nose pliers, slip in the modded lamps and push the contact wires back into the base contact holes.
They end up being just a wee bit taller but the voltage, current and brightness is dead on. No soldering, no drilling to install screw sockets, no-muss or fuss. Installs just like the originals and it's not an expensive fix.
This should work on other models too, like the TU-517.
Last edited: