• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Saw a B-17 Flying Fortress flying today.

devnull

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I was at a small park near where I live, jumping rope when I looked out over the lake and saw a curious looking plane heading my direction over Lake Monona here in Madison. It was pretty loud, and certainly didn't have jet engines on it, as it had a roar like few other planes one will hear. (or at least what you'll hear now) It was heading straight at me, four engines across...my mind started thinking...could this really be what I think it is?

I stopped and watched it as it flew directly over the park, and only at an altitude of perhaps five or six hundred feet -- pretty low to say the least. It had a slight bank and was flying in toward the state capitol building.

There just above me was a B-17 Flying Fortress. Wow!

DAMN! I couldn't believe my eyes. I've seen a number of old aircraft flying through Wisconsin heading to the EAA event in Oshkosh, but I don't think I've ever seen one of these planes. It was _so_ cool! Apparently this is a plane that is offering 20 minute rides for 10 people at a time. It is going to be in Madison for a few days, then head to Janesville for a while, then I imagine to the EAA show.

I'd love to get a ride on that thing, but that isn't going to happen. Just seeing it was quite an experience. That was one -- it's hard to imagine hundreds of those things taking to the skies. The drone of the engines alone would have to be something you'd never forget.

John
 
Register to hide this ad
That was one -- it's hard to imagine hundreds of those things taking to the skies. The drone of the engines alone would have to be something you'd never forget.
That was called "aluminum overcast."

Congratulations on the sighting. Seeing those old birds fly is fun. There's a B-25 at the general aviation airport where I work. When that thing takes off, you know it, and it only has two engines. Every now and then a B-17, B-24 and even Fifi, the restored B-29, flies in. That's really cool!
 
I remember reading somewhere that we couldn't fight WW 2 again, simply because we could not afford the GASOLINE it took...If you get a chance though, try to at least "walk thru" the 17-They are HUGE, yet at the same time, kinda dainty...Stuff inside seems to be scaled for a child...A guy 6' & 250 lbs is definitely too big to be inside one of 'em...
 
We get those B-17's flying over town once or twice a year and it's pretty impressive. No stealth involved, you can easily hear them coming from a mile away.

It's quite the accomplishment for the folks that get them going again and keep them maintained and flying.

Murray
 
Cool story!

Years ago I paid for a "walk through" tour of a B-17 at nearby Flying Cloud Airport in Eden Prairie, MN. Answering questions inside was a crew member who had flown during WWII in a similar craft. Talk about a cool experience (for me) talking to him about his impressions.

I was sitting on my patio last Sunday evening with a friend when I heard a similar sound (yet only one engine) and I immediately said out loud "Warbird". My ear is tuned to anything prop driven that's bigger than a Cessna or a Piper. Sure enough a few seconds later an AT-6 Texan flew overhead around 1000 feet.

The weekend after EAA at Oshkosh there's usually a good Air Show at Holman Field in downtown St Paul, MN. This might be a good year for me to check it out in person . . .
 
I had a similar experience last year on the 3rd of July. I was walking along when I noticed a plane up in the sky. Initially I didn't pay any attention to it. It wasn't until it banked that I realized it was a B-1 Stealth bomber. I stood motionless watching the thing as it flew away and eventually disappeared over the horizon. The engines never, never made a sound........ It was like watching a silent movie.
 
The weekend after EAA at Oshkosh there's usually a good Air Show at Holman Field in downtown St Paul, MN. This might be a good year for me to check it out in person . . .

Peter, if you're looking for a wingman for the Air Show count me in. :yes:


I saw the Yankee Lady flying a few years ago for the Flying Cloud Air Show. I'd love to take a ride in one someday.
 
Their is a B-17 that comes every year here to the Museum of Flight down in Seattle. You get to ride on the plane and even tour it.

On a side note, my granddad was a veteran of WWII and a POW. He was the flight engineer and top turret operator on the B-17. He was shot down in september of 1944 over frankfurt on his very last mission right before he was supposed to go back home. Only him and a couple of his crew were the survivors. He was captured by the Germans and wasn't released until the Reds liberated them in May of 1945. Just a few weeks after his birthday.

My granddad died on Nov. 9, 2007, he was 86. I still remember him telling me stories of his missions during the war and I know he took alot of un-told stories to the grave.
 
Growing up I was lucky enough to meet and get to know crew members from B-17, B-24 and B-26 bombers, as well as a P-51 pilot. All of these fine gentlemen are gone now, but I sure enjoyed meeting them and hearing their stories.
 
Incredible airplane, the B-17. It's the most graceful airplane when flying and making turns. We usually see one here around the 4th for the local airshow. Ahh, the sound of warbirds! Oshkosh is calling...
 
It's definitely headed for EAA. Usually, a weekend either side of EAA it lands at Chicago Executive Airport (formerly Palwaukee Airport) which is located right near my house. When I hear that roar, it's like nothing else and by the time I run out of the house, I can barely see it through the trees. One year the B-17 was accompanied by a B-24 Liberator a few hours later. Quite a thrill to see both.
 
My father, who is still alive 87yrs old, was a B-17 pilot. He was also a POW shot down over Schweinfurt on Jul 21st, 1944 on a bomb run. Liberated by Patton towards the end of the war. Flew P-80 Shooting Star in Korea.....and flew different jets until he retired from the Air Force. Link below is the B-17 he was piloting on the mission when flack brought his plane down.

http://www.457thbombgroup.org/Fate/RLP122.HTML

http://www.457thbombgroup.org/Fate/RLF105.HTML
 
Nothin' can beat the sound of big radials...no matter if two or four. Takeoff power? Yum! At cruise with 'em synced up just right? Sublime. Shameless web plug: drop by my brother-in-law's site www.maxair2air.com. This week's photo essay is on B-17 "Nine-O-Nine"...a beautiful bird. I also enjoyed his essay on the Cessna T-50 "Bobcat"...don't see those little twins every day. He's certainly an artist with that Nikon.
 
I saw the same plane yesterday, I was on East washington and thought the thing was going to smash me flat! Very awesome. I have been seeing alot of jets lately. I was fortunate enough to catch the blue angels practicing near janesville on my way back into town a few weeks back too!

God that thing is huge. it was VERY low and very intimidating.
 
My Dad's former coworker recalled being a 10yo boy in germany in the 2nd world war when a fleet of American bombers flew over head. He said the entire sky appeared to be filled with american aircraft. Things were falling off the walls in his home, the neighbors all walked out in the street and watched and decided that the war would be over very soon. He said it was the single most intimidating thing he has ever witnessed.
 
My father, who is still alive 87yrs old, was a B-17 pilot. He was also a POW shot down over Schweinfurt on Jul 21st, 1944 on a bomb run. Liberated by Patton towards the end of the war. Flew P-80 Shooting Star in Korea.....and flew different jets until he retired from the Air Force. Link below is the B-17 he was piloting on the mission when flack brought his plane down.

http://www.457thbombgroup.org/Fate/RLP122.HTML

http://www.457thbombgroup.org/Fate/RLF105.HTML

Tell your dad thanks for me, OK? Mine was a B-25 navigator.
 
Back
Top Bottom