• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Scott 290-272 build

I have a wrecked Scott 272. I am starting a Scott 290 build, can someone measure a 290 chassis(without the "wings" that mount the cover? The power transformers are slightly different, so the power supply will have to be changed a little,it will be solid state rectified.
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi I am curious about the model number of your power transformer. i have one that i was told came from a 272 amp but i am not 100% sure so if you could check yours i would appreciate it. thanks a bunch.
 
Thanx SP, i will go and check mine. Do you know of a record of the power transformers specs? cheers,
 
I would check the list to see which model your transformer came out of, and find the sams folder, it usually lists transformer specs. The 290 and 272 schematic I have lists some of the transformer specs as well
 
Is there anyone that can hold a ruler to their 290 and measure the length, width(without wings) and height of their chassis?
 
Last edited:
Here is the donor 272, I had it running today to test the transformers, I stopped at 105v line voltage because one filter started getting warm
P1010024.JPG
P1010022.JPG
P1010023 (2).JPG P1010022 (2).JPG
This is how it looked coming out of the shed
P1010006.JPG
 
Last edited:
I bought a chassis from Jucy amps for a project that was not the right size for this, I plan to order one from there, If Carey can make what I need.He has great prices for a custom chassis.
 
In my very humble opinion (I know, I know! :blah: ) I really think that 272 is in good enough condition to be restored. Instead of parting it you, could you go with an Edcor or Hammond transformer?

HH Scott 272 amplifiers are in short supply. But I realize that it is yours to do with however you wish.
 
I spoke with Craig (Nosvalves) and we don't believe it would be worth restoring, it would never be in "good shape" cosmetically, The volume control is scratchy, and may not respond to cleaning.although the tube sockets are pretty quiet.
I am not sure how the Edcors or Hammond would compare to the Scott transformers,they are massive compared to the Dynaco 70's, both power and output.
I have at least 5 or 6 Scott integrated amps, I don't remember the models, several 7591,and some 6BM8? sized ones.
 
Last edited:
For whatever it's worth, I had a 290 that I had Craig restore. He had to rewire it extensively due to how hot it had run--half the wires were crisped. It ended up costing me around $900-950 for the restoration. That 272 would probably be pretty dear as well.
 
The 272 is a densely-packed mess under the hood, and a lot of it is in support of features which are basically pointless gimmickry. Using the iron for a new build which will be much less tedious work than a restoration, and which can incorporate some newer technology (are you planning anything besides solid state rectification? Can any of Dave Gillespie's EFB stuff be adapted for a 290-like amp?), makes sense to me. It's not as if taking the transformers out of the 272 is going to ruin it or anything in case there's a subsequent change of heart about doing something with it.
 
I may go with EFB later, but I think I will start with the stock 290 audio pathway to begin with(ps has to be a little different because it starts with the 272 transformer.
 
The chassis came today, I am using aluminum this time, Scott used aluminum for most of it's production, possibly to reduce magnetic coupling between transformers.
Carey Gruszie at Juicyamps did an excellent job on this,for a great price, it has welded corners and the material is pretty thick, very sturdy.Highly recommended.
P10100215.JPG P10100216.JPG P10100217.JPG
 
my 290 chassis measures 11x14x2 without the wings
 

Attachments

  • Scott 290.jpg
    Scott 290.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 31
Back
Top Bottom