• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Seeking Help in Resurrecting my Kenwood KA-8100

Pub Sub

New Member
Hey all! Yesterday I bought a Kenwood KA-8100 that was advertised as broken. Today I need help in restoring it.

The inside and outside of the unit are pretty darn clean. It appears as if one corner of the unit took a drop head on and bent but did a pretty good job of protecting the internals.

After brief testing, the relay would not close so no audio at all was getting through. When powered on, the LED worked and the headphone output gave my headphones some noise from fiddling with controls but nothing from the volume control.

Today, I opened the case. After a decent inspection of components on the amp board, I see no obvious hot or damaged components. One leg of two output transistors shook loose from their solder, so I resoldered them. This changed nothing.

After some fiddling around, I accidentally shorted two connections in the relay circuit for a split second on the underside of the board. At this point, after a restart of the unit, the relay clicked closed at power on and clicked off shortly after power down. The issue now is that I am seeing 52v being output from the amplifier section. I plugged in headphones which resulted in some loud electrical noise coming from the headphones and some smoke coming from the jack.

I would be forever greatful if someone is willing to help me troubleshoot this unit. I would love to get it singing, and don't have the money at the moment to pay a professional to go through it. I do have a small budget for repair components and such. I have a digital multimeter and hand tools, but little knowledge of electrical components. The service manual for this unit seems very detailed, but I am mostly inept at reading electrical schematics.

I found the service manual here:
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/kenwood/ka-8100.shtml

Thanks all for any help you can offer.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20210525_202825566.jpg
    PXL_20210525_202825566.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 26
Register to hide this ad
I plugged in headphones which resulted in some loud electrical noise coming from the headphones and some smoke coming from the jack.
Headphones are after the relay just like toe speakers. Np relay " set " no sound from speakers or headphones.
 
I accidentally shorted two connections in the relay circuit for a split second on the underside of the board. At this point, after a restart of the unit, the relay clicked closed at power on and clicked off shortly after power down.
Either you have another bad solder connection. Or,depending on the amount of delay at power on, you may have shorted out the C-E junction of the relay driver transistor Qe31. With 52 vdc at the output , the protect relay should never" click" at start up.
 
Both channels ?
Check the output transistors for the channel that has 52vdc at the output.

Dave, thanks so much for the welcome and for taking the time to help me.

I am measuring 52.4 ~ 54 vdc on each leg of all output transistors.

I can see the mark on one pin where the short happened. I am unsure of the other point my clip touched, but it was one of the other four pins points on that same half of the relay.

In the image, the pin that experienced the short is on the bottom right of the relay which is actually the "top" of the right side if looking from the top of the board. I can test the relay circuit for the effects of the short, but the board is not marked within the relay area so I am unsure of what pins go to what exactly.
 

Attachments

  • 16220217692094250302502964063362.jpg
    16220217692094250302502964063362.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 23
I'm ready to bet that the pre-amp board (in the back) is either cracked and/ or broken traces. I'v seen that before and with less bent-over panels...
 
I'm ready to bet that the pre-amp board (in the back) is either cracked and/ or broken traces. I'v seen that before and with less bent-over panels...

Thank you for your input! I will take a closer look at the pre-amp board as I didn't include that in my initial inspection.
 
Back
Top Bottom