• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Seeking the Best Cartridge Under $300

Some really good carts mentioned here!

It’s gonna be subjective; you have to find what excites and pleases you, on your system.

I was playing that Alan Parsons LP just last night, the same as in the YT vid. From here, that AT cart sounds very bright. But, it’s a vid, I’m not there.

For me, the vintage 1979 Empire EDR.9, MI, does “it” for me. Original styli are very hard to come by (I have 2), But my daily driver is a slightly modified LPG S917VL (Vivid Line) Stylus. TTN has the body, $106, and the stylus is $80. It has very low, quick bass, wide open staging, very articulate clear mids and highs. Effortless. It has become my “go-to” cart.

So much out there to discover, so little time, and even less $$!

I hope you love what you decide on!
 
If you can swing an extra $50, you might want to look at the Grado Platinum 2 wood bodied cart. It comes in high output (Reference Series) and low output (Statement Series), 4.8 mV and 1.0 mV respectively. It lacks the nude diamond of its higher priced siblings, but you'd have to step up to the $600 Sonata version if that's an issue.

I've had three of those wooden bodied Grado's over the last decade. I started with the Platinum 1 but traded it in for a Sonata 2 when Grado revamped the entire lineup a few years ago. A year ago, I decided to level up to the Master 2 and I'm planning on going up one more level when it wears out.

All of the Grado's that I've used have the same basic sonic character which invokes a very balanced presentation with plenty of bass and an ever-so-slightly burnished top end that I find supremely enjoyable. It makes every album sound warm and silky smooth without hyping the high end like other carts in this price range. It provides plenty of midrange mojo and detail, but it's not going to be as detailed in the upper frequencies as some MC's. Most surprisingly is how these Grado's are able to provide deep, punchy bass without muddying things up in the 500Hz range. The presentation is addictive especially on albums that have remained in the analog realm throughout their production cycle. I'm especially impressed with how beautifully it handles my old standby's from the 70's by Steely Dan, Jethro Tull, ELO, Marvin Gaye, etc. I played "Songs in the Key of Life" last week for a friend---it's a first run from '76 (IIRC)--and our jaws dropped when we heard the first brassy notes of Sir Duke.

Here's the catch. Is it going to create low level hum on your SL1200? Better check that issue out beforehand (search the web) or make sure that whoever you purchase it from will exchange it if it exhibits any weirdness.

My backup is a Ortofon 2m Blue. About once every six months, I give the Grado a break and mount the Blue on my VPI Prime Scout w/3D tonearm. It's always a pleasure to hear the Blue in action. It's probably more detailed than the Grado above 4,000Hz, but it doesn't have the wow factor at higher volumes. It is, however, a fantastic cart and I would be very happy if I were stuck with it for the long run.

Finally, I want to point out that Grado, like Soundsmith, are moving iron cartridges, a somewhat misunderstood technology. They are different from both moving magnet and moving coil designs and you might want to investigate exactly what this entails. The low output varieties are especially good, but you'll need a preamp/transformer that provides at least 55 db of clean gain along with the ability to handle a 47,000 ohm load.

I just ordered a Grado ME+ mono cart. Looking forward to mounting it on my 2016 Project "The Classic" TT.
 
Last edited:
Well I suppose I can make a recommendation if $300 has a bit of wiggle room.

There are two very nice moving coil cartridges out there in this price range, although both are low output moving coils.

Audio Technica OC9 II

Gets you a line contact stylus, boron cantilever, and a tried and true design that has been considered one of the best values in analog for a lot of years.

Denon DL 301MK II.

This is a lively and spirited cartridge that is layered and detailed in a way that a typical moving magnet cartridge is not. Perhaps a bit more vibrant than the OC9 II, and technically not as advanced in terms of sub components. However its the totality of the package that is hard to beat, and one of the better values in the analog world.

If you shop carefully you can find these cartridges between $300 and $350 ish. Although you have to be able to have the ability to use a low output cartridge. So they may not be compatible with your phono stage without device to step up its signal, or you acquiring a phono stage that is capable of pairing with these types of cartridges.

Cheers
Mister Pig
 
If you can swing an extra $50, you might want to look at the Grado Platinum 2 wood bodied cart. It comes in high output (Reference Series) and low output (Statement Series), 4.8 mV and 1.0 mV respectively. It lacks the nude diamond of its higher priced siblings, but you'd have to step up to the $600 Sonata version if that's an issue.

I've had three of those wooden bodied Grado's over the last decade. I started with the Platinum 1 but traded it in for a Sonata 2 when Grado revamped the entire lineup a few years ago. A year ago, I decided to level up to the Master 2 and I'm planning on going up one more level when it wears out.

All of the Grado's that I've used have the same basic sonic character which invokes a very balanced presentation with plenty of bass and an ever-so-slightly burnished top end that I find supremely enjoyable. It makes every album sound warm and silky smooth without hyping the high end like other carts in this price range. It provides plenty of midrange mojo and detail, but it's not going to be as detailed in the upper frequencies as some MC's. Most surprisingly is how these Grado's are able to provide deep, punchy bass without muddying things up in the 500Hz range. The presentation is addictive especially on albums that have remained in the analog realm throughout their production cycle. I'm especially impressed with how beautifully it handles my old standby's from the 70's by Steely Dan, Jethro Tull, ELO, Marvin Gaye, etc. I played "Songs in the Key of Life" last week for a friend---it's a first run from '76 (IIRC)--and our jaws dropped when we heard the first brassy notes of Sir Duke.

Here's the catch. Is it going to create low level hum on your SL1200? Better check that issue out beforehand (search the web) or make sure that whoever you purchase it from will exchange it if it exhibits any weirdness.

My backup is a Ortofon 2m Blue. About once every six months, I give the Grado a break and mount the Blue on my VPI Prime Scout w/3D tonearm. It's always a pleasure to hear the Blue in action. It's probably more detailed than the Grado above 4,000Hz, but it doesn't have the wow factor at higher volumes. It is, however, a fantastic cart and I would be very happy if I were stuck with it for the long run.

Finally, I want to point out that Grado, like Soundsmith, are moving iron cartridges, a somewhat misunderstood technology. They are different from both moving magnet and moving coil designs and you might want to investigate exactly what this entails. The low output varieties are especially good, but you'll need a preamp/transformer that provides at least 55 db of clean gain along with the ability to handle a 47,000 ohm load.

I just ordered a Grado ME+ mono cart. Looking forward to mounting it on my 2016 Project "The Classic" TT.
It depends on the age of the sl1200mk2. Newer ones will hum old won't. Fix is a Kabusa psu and it is an upgrade to boot.
Chris
 
It depends on the age of the sl1200mk2. Newer ones will hum old won't. Fix is a Kabusa psu and it is an upgrade to boot.
Chris
Do the 1mV low output (Statement Series) Grado's cause the same hum issues? I would assume that they would not, but I'm always wrong about these things.
 
Do the 1mV low output (Statement Series) Grado's cause the same hum issues? I would assume that they would not, but I'm always wrong about these things.

If the motor on the table isn't shielded, the Grado will pick up the stray EMF, regardless of output of the cartridge. Why the new 1200 would emit a hum is unknown to me, Could have sworn the motor is "DC", and DC doesn't produce a hum field
 
If the motor on the table isn't shielded, the Grado will pick up the stray EMF, regardless of output of the cartridge. Why the new 1200 would emit a hum is unknown to me, Could have sworn the motor is "DC", and DC doesn't produce a hum field
No not correct it is the not well shielded transformer on the newer sl1200,mk2's nothing to do with the motor.
 
Do the 1mV low output (Statement Series) Grado's cause the same hum issues? I would assume that they would not, but I'm always wrong about these things.
Simple fix is either an external psu from the likes of Kabusa or more simple move the transformer out to an external box. The external psu is a big improvement so this would make more sense.
Chris
 
No not correct it is the not well shielded transformer on the newer sl1200,mk2's nothing to do with the motor.
OK, it is correct, if the motor is DC. DC creates no "hummmmmmmmmmm" . Seems they cheapened up on shielding the transformer vs the older original 1200. I had to remove the tranny from my KD 500 years ago for that reason,( and for the amount of vibration it but into the concrete base). The point I was getting to is it matters not output voltage of a MI grado and stray EMF. to get a 1mv grado to play as loud as a 5mv grado. one has to amplify the output voltage, and the "hum" along with it.
 
My SL-1200s are from 1994. I’ve never had Grado hum issues with them.
Exact;y, the last years of production had lesser shielding on the transformer. i had a newer one and replaced the transformer and related regs with on from Kasusa, not only dead quit, no hum but a sonic improvement too.
Chris
 
I would rather buy a $50 or less phono cartridge and put the rest of the money towards a record cleaning machine than buy a cartridge for $300 only to run the expensive needle through miles of dirt.

I love some of my moving coils, but I feel there is rampant profiteering going on during vinyl's revival, surely with more sales the products should be coming down, not up in price! $500 Australian Dollars is my absolute limit, even then it's painful on the purse.

I have a $50 stylus DN249e on my Dual TT, which is a lower end TT, fixed headshell and stock ortofon cart from the 80's etc. And it sounds nice... A lot of money can be spent to just get a tiny bit extra in sound quality... Here's the cheap stylus in action
 
The point I was getting to is it matters not output voltage of a MI grado and stray EMF. to get a 1mv grado to play as loud as a 5mv grado. one has to amplify the output voltage, and the "hum" along with it.

So what you're saying is that even though the low output Statement cartridges have a lot less coil wire, you still get hum because it requires 55db of preamp gain? Makes sense.
 
I would like to hear a cartridge from this family of AT someday. My experience is that any stylus that is beyond a basic elliptical, such as the ML, would greatly benefit from a tonearm with VTA adjust. If the arm does not have that then shimming or playing with mat thickness is required.

Excellent point. I will add to this by saying that if you are not willing to spend the time and effort getting the stylus alignment correct, you should stay away from the more advanced line contact type styli. VTA and azimuth are extremely important with these. Tiny differences in alignment will make all the difference in a so-so vs. an extremely satisfying experience. It's important with ellipticals too, but not near as much so.
 
Well I suppose I can make a recommendation if $300 has a bit of wiggle room.

There are two very nice moving coil cartridges out there in this price range, although both are low output moving coils.

Audio Technica OC9 II

Gets you a line contact stylus, boron cantilever, and a tried and true design that has been considered one of the best values in analog for a lot of years.

Denon DL 301MK II.

This is a lively and spirited cartridge that is layered and detailed in a way that a typical moving magnet cartridge is not. Perhaps a bit more vibrant than the OC9 II, and technically not as advanced in terms of sub components. However its the totality of the package that is hard to beat, and one of the better values in the analog world.

If you shop carefully you can find these cartridges between $300 and $350 ish. Although you have to be able to have the ability to use a low output cartridge. So they may not be compatible with your phono stage without device to step up its signal, or you acquiring a phono stage that is capable of pairing with these types of cartridges.

Cheers
Mister Pig

This mirrors my experience with these cartridges. However, the Denon DL-301mkII does not do well at the "standard" 100 ohm moving coil input impedance of most non-adjustable moving coil preamps. I found the best performance when loading it with at least 330 ohms to about 700 ohms. There are some really good budget preamps with adjustable input impedance. I think the Liberty is one of the better ones.

As far as the Grade cartridges, I would stay away from them on the 1200 arm unless you install the KAB damper on it. I personally do not care for the Grado cartridges, but they do far better with the damper in place than without.
 
This mirrors my experience with these cartridges. However, the Denon DL-301mkII does not do well at the "standard" 100 ohm moving coil input impedance of most non-adjustable moving coil preamps. I found the best performance when loading it with at least 330 ohms to about 700 ohms. There are some really good budget preamps with adjustable input impedance. I think the Liberty is one of the better ones.

As far as the Grade cartridges, I would stay away from them on the 1200 arm unless you install the KAB damper on it. I personally do not care for the Grado cartridges, but they do far better with the damper in place than without.
Also the new Grado 2 range sound nothing like the old 1 range, the blue 2 red 2 and silver and gold 2 are totally different animals than the gold 1 etc. Different damping, different dc resistance and inductance (not what it says on the packets actually measured, a lot different).
Chris
 
Last edited:
Also the new Grado 2 range sound nothing like the old 1 range, the blue 2 red 2 and silver and gold 2 are totally different animals than the gold 1 etc. Different damping, different dc resistance and inductance (not what it says on the packets actually measured, a lot different).
Chris

This is true. The Grado Black2 sounds better than my Grado Gold original. However, neither one sounds very good without the KAB damper. I understand a lot of folks like the Grado sound. Just not the sound I prefer.
 
This is true. The Grado Black2 sounds better than my Grado Gold original. However, neither one sounds very good without the KAB damper. I understand a lot of folks like the Grado sound. Just not the sound I prefer.
I have been doing some testing between a gold 2 and a blue 2 over at VE. So far not finding obvious differences. Next thinking to get a black 2 to compare to the other two. Other thing I am looking for is a damaged or worn out stylus from a Grado to dismantle as I am super curious how they are put together.
Apart the new 2 range measuring different, they also have way way less damping material inside them too.
Chris
 
Back
Top Bottom