• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Seems like a lot of money with problems..

Register to hide this ad
The issue is that a Realistic receiver will never hold the value of a Pioneer, Sansui, etc. That is a lot of coin to drop on a Realistic. Maybe I am a snob.
 
Do these $1500 silver receivers really sound better than the black gear from 10 years later? (not BPC, the nice black stuff)

Those black items can be had in the $50-$200 range. I paid $75 for my Denon PMA-500v amp. If I were to buy a $1500 pioneer will I have 20x better sound?
 
I know where one of those is sitting in a house down the street. It was powering a pair of Altec 804a horns and some large EV woofers in ceiling mounted cabinets. I still need to get back over there and see if they changed their mind about selling.

How do they stack up against Pioneer, Kenwood, Marantz, Sansui? Do they sound good or no?
 
Do these $1500 silver receivers really sound better than the black gear from 10 years later? (not BPC, the nice black stuff)

Those black items can be had in the $50-$200 range. I paid $75 for my Denon PMA-500v amp. If I were to buy a $1500 pioneer will I have 20x better sound?

Good questions. With the 70s silver-face receivers, people are paying for more than sound: design, nostalgia, etc. Now, it's a LOT more than it was just a few years ago. I recently paid significantly more for a Yamaha CR-1020 than I did for my A-700/T-2 combo that will outperform it (and arguably almost every other stereo receiver in existence). Why? I wanted one when I was a teenager, and couldn't afford it. BTW, it still sounds and looks really good to me.

There are still some decent deals out there on older receivers. A working CR-2040 (not mine) has been sitting on Chicago CL for a while at $600. Looks nice. Like the Realistic in the OP, it's 120wpc. Price seems reasonable by today's standards for a monster receiver (not by the standards of 10 years ago, which don't matter anymore).

Plenty of really good deals on good 80s and 90s gear are still out there, as you point out.
 
Last edited:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ele/d/gilroy-realistic-vintage-receiver-sta/7353048856.html

I realize this is a well regarded and rare receiver though.

Not mine, no connection.

Lol at the day I'd pay that for a Realistic product. Had one, it doesn't sound very good in any event, boomy and cheap; if spending that much dough make sure you buy something that performs really well. Wish I had stuffed mine in storage instead of selling it if that's the kind of money people will spend these days. Cheers.
 
A very optimistic seller. Well, probably not an actual seller per se. More of an opportunity seeker. A sucker hunter?

If anyone finds this thread in 10 years.
We are talking about some fool that thinks a Realistic STA-2000 will fetch $1400. Today, probably not.
 
For his asking price, it shouldn't have any problems.

I passed up something very similar to that receiver several years ago at a yard sale, still in its original box....derp.
 
I would love to have the opportunity to try one of these as I remember them as a teen admiring them at RS. But it would have to be for a lot less.
 
Back
Top Bottom