• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Selling used gear is a frustrating ordeal!

Ziinda

Active Member
I'm sure everyone has considered selling off a bunch of old stuff that's just collecting dust. To go from thinking to actually selling it seems like a simple step until you get some interested buyers. You notice buyers are not always knowledgeable in what they're looking at, that is of course, if they even show up!

So many messages, half saying they want it and expect you to hold it for them (not gonna happen) or they say "I'll come tomorrow" (also not gonna happen) even though I have the odds figured to be 1 in 200 that they will show up. I base this on Offer-Up sales and hearing the future buyers messaging me 4 to 8 times a day for 3 years comes out to about 5000+ times and I counted a total of 31 sales from those future buyers. In the last year it has slowed down due to OU app changes, banned users, loss of interest, app malfunctions and lack of money, but the no show issue remains.

But that's not the really frustrating part, the fact that you post a price based on a bunch of factors and you know its worth what you're asking or you wouldn't be getting any messages in the first place. Then after taking time setting stuff up, they don't show or they are hours late and you're probably not even at home. For those rare few that do show up, the chances of them knowing what they are buying is slim. You can tell the instant you let them take over the controls and they grab the treble knob and bass knob and max them!

Then while looking at a vintage $60 Rotel receiver that you used for years and know it has exceptional sound and works flawlessly but has a few dings and some of the tiny button pieces are gone (which is why you priced it as such) but then you hear the buyer say "Rotel? Are they any good? I never heard of them before?" Then they go on and on about their current receiver that has a problem and how awesome it was, just to hear it is an old Technics or JVC or Kenwood POS. Then start to pick apart the missing tiny buttons that were clearly shown in the pictures. Their next move is to offer you half of asking price, repeating that they never heard of Rotel once more. After some time passes and they have you swapping out speakers while they're fixated on pushing buttons that serve no purpose as it's being used, commenting that those buttons don't even work, no mater how many times you explain it to them that those buttons aren't used while CD input is active since half of them are for tuner and the rest apply to phono (except their favorite loudness button that must always be engaged) they simply cannot stop repeating the same actions and comments on each piece they see.

Then it's the same questions, how many watts, this comes right after you turn it up to 1/3rd volume and the walls are shaking, my reply is always the same, what is the difference between me saying it's 40 watts or it's 100watts? Does it go loud enough and sound good? But for some reason hearing that number is vastly important to their purchase. So you show them some cheap 100W receivers and they're delighted! Then you hear about their old broken one again and then the bass and treble get maxed and it starts all over. It's at this point that you have grown tried of this buyer who has no real intention of buying anything since he's basing everything against some broken thing he bought for $15 at a thrift store that lasted a month before it fried.

You try to end the session and put stuff away only to hear him ask if he can see the first one again! Then everything is repeated again, you just want it to end, then they need to see another just to compare. At this moment it's hard to be nice and explaining the same thing again and they still don't get it, the frustration builds up. Then they say they for sure what this one but are interested in some speakers too.

Now what are the chances they're going to know anything about speakers? You ask what exactly they are looking for? Big, small, higher quality, size of drivers, if condition of cabinets or grills matter, etc..
Then you find out they're looking to spend about $40 but expect to see speakers that they'll never see priced under $500! Plus they need to be perfect. So you tell them you have already shown them what's in that range and they go back to the receiver and start all over!

If they end up buying it you know already to expect to hear back from them that they cant get it working now and want to bring it back! You start thinking to yourself, you should have ended it right away and is selling anything worth the trouble for those few $?

But while the rookie is there looking, you get a serious buyer who wants to come and buy something, the guy shows up in minutes, hears the receiver playing, tries all knobs for noise and buys it without saying anything but "looks good" then pays you and leaves. Sometimes it all comes down to timing, the rookie just lost his chance to buy something nice for cheap but insisted on wasting your time for just long enough to lose out on that item. Then he wants to buy something right away, that's when you have to tell him you have no more time to be digging out more stuff. He wants to come back tommorow!

The worst thing is he actually does come back and repeats the same thing only to end up buying the cheapest piece you have or in his case nothing at all!

I have so much to sell that I'm rethinking even bothering you post anything after that reminder of what I'm in for.
 
Register to hide this ad
I've sold bunch of audio stuff on Craigslist or Facebook mostly speakers and it's pain in the neck from people who make ridiculous lowball offers change their mind ..I just sold a pr of Wharfadales diamonds 11.4s that I bought new in July great speakers BTW just wasn't a good match for my system so I told a guy who was interested that i bought them in July so this guy replied saying oh they must be bad sounding speaker then like really dude but most people who are audiophiles looking for used are decent buyers though
 
I feel you, it can definitely be a pain selling stuff. I have been mostly pretty fortunate selling audio gear, it's been other household wares, furniture, etc. that has been problematic. The worst is the FB Market default response "Is this still available". I put in caps at the start of my ads that I will not respond to that. People wanting you to hold things and then not showing is a problem too. I typically won't even do holds anymore unless the buyer truly seems genuine. Otherwise, it's first come first serve.
 
I feel you, it can definitely be a pain selling stuff. I have been mostly pretty fortunate selling audio gear, it's been other household wares, furniture, etc. that has been problematic. The worst is the FB Market default response "Is this still available". I put in caps at the start of my ads that I will not respond to that. People wanting you to hold things and then not showing is a problem too. I typically won't even do holds anymore unless the buyer truly seems genuine. Otherwise, it's first come first serve.

Yep, I've never had an issue with audio gear with it being so niche. General household stuff though, good lord...
 
I feel the same say. Everything mentioned above has happened to me. My rules are no holds. Price is flexible upon arrival. And when i am buying something what i would to is wire a holding fee to the seller. This always allows me to dictate my terms of when i can see it with intentions to buy
 
When dealing with customers patience and experience will rule out.

The no shows and MIA buyers only get one chance at the prize with me. Keep a list of number and names. It is a long one. After a time I can tell rather quickly if a flake is on the other end. Or who really cares, if I feel it, will cut it off. Do not answer back.

Do not need to have the frustration at this time of my life. I can box them up and store letting someone else deal with it, if need be. Or get them out in a year or two.

Any more feel if they are truly interested will leave a contact number on first contact. I know that when wanting to purchase will do so accordingly.

Have had potential buyers show up that stunk so bad they were walked right back out....

Then the try out different speakers CD's LP's ....... watch them with the volume!

The don't have enough money, gets the old machine up at the gas station....

People stay and go through every little detail then say no money......come back later. Never do!

Or want you to fix their gear.... Acting like you are their new best friend....

The worst is the guys who want to trade POS items they been trying to sell unsuccessfully .....WTF!

Trade a Porsche for a Hoopdee like that will ever happen!
 
And this is why I will keep my main stuff and pass it on to a relative that has the passion. Used gear I buy, I only buy if I can sell very reasonable.
Example: I have a friend that has an audio booth at an antiques store. He actually does quite well. When I find something, I determine what it should sell for. If I can buy at a price that my friend will buy, then I get it. That way I can try or enjoy it, then not be out any money. Sometimes it takes a phone call.
Examples of things I have done:
DLK 1.0 speakers. Bought 30 dollars, sold to friend 50 dollars.
Sony CDP player/recorder. Bought 20 dollars, sold to friend 50 dollars.
Derwin Vega speakers. Bought 10 dollars, sold to friend 30 dollars.
Snell C IV’s. Bought 100 dollars, sold to friend 200 dollars.
Now understand he sells these at his booth and starts at Double what I sell to him. He says he’s never lost money.
Also, I don’t buy much, because those kind of of deals don’t come around very often.
 
OP: Anyone who would put up with that level of bullshiitery probably deserves the torment. I seldom sell anything, one look around my stashes here & there will confirm. That has to change, & soon. I've had decent luck on cl in the past with bikes & the occasional electronic item, as well as here on BT. Preconditions MUST be stated up front in the ad, with any attempts at shenanigans resulting in sending the offenders packing pronto. There's no shortage of idiots out there, I for one don't & won't suffer fools gladly. Life's too short to deal with time-wasting buffoons when the next guy (or girl) may be a pleasure to encounter.
 
I had the OPs experience trying to sell a single Pyle powered speaker with amp. I told my wife never again!

Your experience is the behavior I would expect from someone buying a Pyle speaker. Not someone who wants a nice stereo. My recommendation is to draft your ads targeting a different client. Use some words that that doofus would never understand, and you will likely wean out some of the chaff. But there will still be some of those special customers. Not much you can do except once you decide they are more trouble than they are worth, start putting your gear away. If that doesn't work, simply ask him if he's going to buy it or not. And no, I am not going to connect it back up for you. Start directing him to the door, and if he still doesn't get it, tell him you have an appointment. Time to go!
 
I'm sure everyone has considered selling off a bunch of old stuff that's just collecting dust. To go from thinking to actually selling it seems like a simple step until you get some interested buyers. You notice buyers are not always knowledgeable in what they're looking at, that is of course, if they even show up!

So many messages, half saying they want it and expect you to hold it for them (not gonna happen) or they say "I'll come tomorrow" (also not gonna happen) even though I have the odds figured to be 1 in 200 that they will show up. I base this on Offer-Up sales and hearing the future buyers messaging me 4 to 8 times a day for 3 years comes out to about 5000+ times and I counted a total of 31 sales from those future buyers. In the last year it has slowed down due to OU app changes, banned users, loss of interest, app malfunctions and lack of money, but the no show issue remains.

But that's not the really frustrating part, the fact that you post a price based on a bunch of factors and you know its worth what you're asking or you wouldn't be getting any messages in the first place. Then after taking time setting stuff up, they don't show or they are hours late and you're probably not even at home. For those rare few that do show up, the chances of them knowing what they are buying is slim. You can tell the instant you let them take over the controls and they grab the treble knob and bass knob and max them!

Then while looking at a vintage $60 Rotel receiver that you used for years and know it has exceptional sound and works flawlessly but has a few dings and some of the tiny button pieces are gone (which is why you priced it as such) but then you hear the buyer say "Rotel? Are they any good? I never heard of them before?" Then they go on and on about their current receiver that has a problem and how awesome it was, just to hear it is an old Technics or JVC or Kenwood POS. Then start to pick apart the missing tiny buttons that were clearly shown in the pictures. Their next move is to offer you half of asking price, repeating that they never heard of Rotel once more. After some time passes and they have you swapping out speakers while they're fixated on pushing buttons that serve no purpose as it's being used, commenting that those buttons don't even work, no mater how many times you explain it to them that those buttons aren't used while CD input is active since half of them are for tuner and the rest apply to phono (except their favorite loudness button that must always be engaged) they simply cannot stop repeating the same actions and comments on each piece they see.

Then it's the same questions, how many watts, this comes right after you turn it up to 1/3rd volume and the walls are shaking, my reply is always the same, what is the difference between me saying it's 40 watts or it's 100watts? Does it go loud enough and sound good? But for some reason hearing that number is vastly important to their purchase. So you show them some cheap 100W receivers and they're delighted! Then you hear about their old broken one again and then the bass and treble get maxed and it starts all over. It's at this point that you have grown tried of this buyer who has no real intention of buying anything since he's basing everything against some broken thing he bought for $15 at a thrift store that lasted a month before it fried.

You try to end the session and put stuff away only to hear him ask if he can see the first one again! Then everything is repeated again, you just want it to end, then they need to see another just to compare. At this moment it's hard to be nice and explaining the same thing again and they still don't get it, the frustration builds up. Then they say they for sure what this one but are interested in some speakers too.

Now what are the chances they're going to know anything about speakers? You ask what exactly they are looking for? Big, small, higher quality, size of drivers, if condition of cabinets or grills matter, etc..
Then you find out they're looking to spend about $40 but expect to see speakers that they'll never see priced under $500! Plus they need to be perfect. So you tell them you have already shown them what's in that range and they go back to the receiver and start all over!

If they end up buying it you know already to expect to hear back from them that they cant get it working now and want to bring it back! You start thinking to yourself, you should have ended it right away and is selling anything worth the trouble for those few $?

But while the rookie is there looking, you get a serious buyer who wants to come and buy something, the guy shows up in minutes, hears the receiver playing, tries all knobs for noise and buys it without saying anything but "looks good" then pays you and leaves. Sometimes it all comes down to timing, the rookie just lost his chance to buy something nice for cheap but insisted on wasting your time for just long enough to lose out on that item. Then he wants to buy something right away, that's when you have to tell him you have no more time to be digging out more stuff. He wants to come back tommorow!

The worst thing is he actually does come back and repeats the same thing only to end up buying the cheapest piece you have or in his case nothing at all!

I have so much to sell that I'm rethinking even bothering you post anything after that reminder of what I'm in for.
Wow. That’s some novel.
 
No doubt... My problem is really flaky buyers that either offer me far less than my reasonable asking price, before even looking at the thing, ones who say they're interested and never follow up and others who say they're showing up to buy the thing and never do.

There's limited market for a lot of this stuff and I realize that I may have to list stuff over and over again before it sells. I just sold a subwoofer though that I must have had on the market for 6 months or more... so with a bit of patience, it can work.
 
Yes I know exactly how it is. I’ve sold hundreds of items mostly audio related and have had my share of flaky potential buyers and no shows. I’ve learned how to minimize them.
 
Take all your stuff out to the ol Greyhound racing Park & Swap in a white van with a AC converter. Cash only NO RETURNS.
 
First off you need to have what people want, otherwise, it's easier to give it away. And don't expect to get a thank you either. Been there done that.
 
The last guy that bought something from me pissed all over my bathroom floor. I guess he felt entitled to do so because he spent $1050. I usually set stuff up in my garage, and will go back to doing that 100% of the time. I’m also getting a no public restroom sign.
 
Back
Top Bottom