• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Selling used gear is a frustrating ordeal!

The worst thing for me is the ghosting. Man up and send a text or email telling me you changed your mind. It's business, my feelings won't get hurt.

I recently sold a small Marantz for a fair to good price and the number of dreamers who contacted me was unreal. I stopped giving a **** about whether it sold or not and eventually my buyer came and the transaction was smooth. It just took a couple of extra weeks.
I believe you have to have a "targeted audience" and this helps screen those bargain hunters and just "curious :whip: folk" out.

Also, there are reasonable :dunno: expectations, and most times it will not mesh with the personal value the owner has for his "stuff".

When I do buy, which is rare :naughty:, I put forth my humble value of the artistry of audio components, and often times I have gotten great audio for next to nothing. Most folk just seem to want to give their "valued stuff" a good home :hug:

There are some people that just don't know what they have and have no interest in dealing with it so they price it based on how much similar (junk) is going for never knowing the real value, most often death or left behind by an old roommate to pay bills before leaving.
I got a set of bose 901 series 3 for $75 but I refoamed them for an extra $40, I connected them and was amazed at how large of a sound they could produce! I only bought them to satisfy my own curiosity with those well loved/hated speakers. I used an old Sansui eq and thought they were actually pretty good for their size. As much bass as you wanted and they never broke a sweat. If course I played them for 30 minutes and stacked them with the other speakers I'll never use again! That stack is so big and tall right now I can't reach to put any more on top and can't let the base get bigger either. That's why I'm selling them all except a very select few. Aztec Piccasos, Snell E 3s and some Eosone 400s. I also have the matching sub for the Eosones. Of course none are connected at this moment but I do have a full range amp running directly from my second output right now to test all speakers before I post them plus I'm running a quick sweep on them all for my own record. I've found that 90% of cheap speakers made have a huge peak at 6000Hz I'm talking off the charts untameable peaks. So far every bookshelf has done it with one exception. ESS minimontor has a small peak that's tameable but nothing close to my diys.
 
One thing that's strange is when an item is posted for months with no interest at 1 price, then reposted for more will spark interest in it and often sell instantly?

I'm used to letting things stay posted, it's the uneducated buyers that I don't understand, when I'm buying I do a quick refresher on it so I know if it's going to be worth my time (at any price) since there are so many bad items made by good makers. I've found that even though speakers are mostly repairable, some are much more difficult to do without ending up very obviously refoamed. But that info is sometimes not known untill you get started.

I just picked up some infinity SM255 speakers with 15" woofers and dual mids. Someone tried to refoam and it was a disaster! Pulled them both off in seconds with no tools! I'll cut them to fit and reuse them (as I often do) but it also looks like the mids need foam and some caps are bad, all this is typical of Infintys. I was surprised that the tweeters worked, usually they are the main problem. Sometimes you just aren't able to find out stuff till after you get it home and look inside. When stuff is priced right I'll take a chance, it seems that cheap prices scare most buyers away?

Well... I think that the reason for all of that is that when you re-post an item it goes to the top of the list. Not everyone is looking for a specific thing, I think and not everyone is willing to scroll through a long list of stuff to find something. The whole "top of the list" advantage can't be underestimated...

I've never re-foamed speakers, but that's something that I would try if I got some incredible deal on some speakers that just needed that. At least for the time being, I've mostly stopped with the whole "upgrade path" thing so I have no plans to either swap out the speakers I have for something else or to collect more to keep on hand for later.... though if I could find a really great DAC for some kind of giveaway price, I might jump on that!
 
Another reason some foks sell things so cheap is that ' time is money ' and they just can't be bothered with the time involved in the sale or -- don't have the time to deal with it - just find it a good home. Which is great if your the buyer!

Picked up $10K worth of tools and 'REAL' downtown NYC scaffolding a few months ago for $1500 from a Mechanical Engineer neighbor who was moving, for the exact same reason.

Never met anyone selling 'quality' speakers, unfortunately. :dunno:
 
Last edited:
I’ve bought and sold a lot through Craigslist and I’ve learned to prescreen people when they email me. Anyone that can’t spell or doesn’t know how to put a sentence together INSTANTLY gets deleted. Even when they send several emails.

On the buying side, I’m usually late to any decent deals. However I’ve been blessed to be extremely lucky also.

You kinda get the knack of it all after dealing for awhile.
 
Have sold thousands of pieces of gear over the last 10 years. Lots of time wasters and tire kickers, i'm always blunt and straight to the point, no demoing other stuff, no small talk, I want your money not to make friends with you, works very well.

Not to say I haven't met some cool people and made some interesting friends, but having a stand off attitude to begin with works to keep the idiots away.
 
I’ve bought and sold a lot through Craigslist and I’ve learned to prescreen people when they email me. Anyone that can’t spell or doesn’t know how to put a sentence together INSTANTLY gets deleted. Even when they send several emails.

On the buying side, I’m usually late to any decent deals. However I’ve been blessed to be extremely lucky also.

You kinda get the knack of it all after dealing for awhile.

I generally do the same, along with a phone calls where the person doesn't seem sharp, not going to waste my time.

Altho there was one guy who couldn't spell for **** and I was positive would be a time waster, turned out to be a super cool guy who introduced me to some awesome 80's funk music and kept in touch ever since.
 
Last year I sold two tube Mc units to two different buyers on FB. I met each of them halfway between our respective locations and both transactions could not have gone more smoothly. Guess I got lucky.

I don't think luck has as much to do with a good transaction.
Most of the unhappy stories I hear about are usually a seller who doesn't understand how to communicate.

Selling Mc gear is one of the easiest sales if you don't try to gouge people.
 
The last couple of CL items I sold, started when the buyer emailed "Is it still available?". While I hate this and I expect anyone with half a brain gets why this is a non-starter, I *SIGH* and respond "Yes" and low and behold it is legit and the guy buys the gear

Its a crazy mixed up push button atomic world we live in
 
Having a lot of patience and storage space are keys to enjoying the selling experience. Setting ground rules and expectations with a potential buyer for the transaction are also important as well. Had a very pleasant CL transaction yesterday in a mutually agreed upon meeting area. My CL ad was detailed, accurate, and I felt safe meeting the buyer to do business. I learned something new yesterday and that is this...

If they need to see the component in operation i bring an inverter to demo.

In my case the buyer actually had brought one along and it worked flawlessly with the gear that I was selling. Everything sold at a fair price for both of us. Ended up purchasing an Astron inverter yesterday to use for future transactions. Thanks for the tip @BillyTheKid !
 
Unless I have a sale if/when I move into my last (old folks?) home I'll let my family deal with my gear.
I'll let them know which pieces have value and how much. I'll encourage them to take and use the pieces they'd like and tell them that would make me happy if they were to use any of my gear.
I'll encourage them to not let any of "the good stuff" go to the dump.
They are all younger and probably more familiar with market place, letgo and other modern selling venues than I am.
Beyond that, it's up to them. Once I'm gone it won't matter to me.
 
As others have mentioned earlier in this thread, I don't want low ballers, tire kickers, time wasters and just plain strangers coming to my house.
I also don't want to deal with obtaining proper packing materials and then taking the time to pack and drop off items for shipping and then be at the mercy of possible shipping damage, scammers, and ebays buyer is always right policy.
Back in the day when "everyone" had a stereo I'd sell gear to my friends after I had upgraded components. I buy a new receiver, I'd sell the old receiver.
Friends got good deals of course.
The days of my knowing local stereo minded friends/folks are long gone now. Just guessing it's been close to 30 years since I've sold any audio gear.
 
I tend to use the trading technics that I learned on Wall Street.
I make new highs when I am buying and new lows when I am selling, this reputation means a get a good call from flippers.
I don't want to miss a trade over $50 or 100 bucks and I only buy gear that looks perfect cosmetically.
I don't like looking at defects because I buy gear for long term use.
I recently bought a pair of Technics Linear Phase SB-6060's that are near perfect for speakers made between 1979 - 1980 and sound incredible.
 
Don't waste your time playing into that crap. You get to decide how the conversation goes and when it ends. I've never had and issue. I just stop communicating and move on when people become difficult. Easy peasy.
 
...I'll let my family deal with my gear. I'll let them know which pieces have value and how much. Beyond that, it's up to them. Once I'm gone it won't matter to me.

It is not fun for the people left....I am helping a local Widow,.... trying to sell the equipment he left. It is a nightmare.

^^^A ton o' TRUTH here.^^^

In all honesty, I'd like to know how this process goes in explaining the value of said gear, to family members that have no clue the worth or value of it, so they are not duped. Are you 1) writing this stuff down (gear & value) in a spiral notebook someplace? or 2) having a pre-conversation prior to one's death? All ears here. Heck, maybe start a thread on this topic... :dunno: :idea:
 
The last couple of CL items I sold, started when the buyer emailed "Is it still available?". While I hate this and I expect anyone with half a brain gets why this is a non-starter, I *SIGH* and respond "Yes" and low and behold it is legit and the guy buys the gear

Its a crazy mixed up push button atomic world we live in
Well, I have opened dialog with this question because I have responded to many, many CL ads only to be told that the item was sold, sometimes weeks ago.
So to me, it's just a logical question to ask.

But I have noticed people seem to get annoyed by it, and sometimes even write it in their ad... "Don't ask if it's available!" right along with "No lowballers!" and "I know what I've got!" etc.
 
I have sold tons of items on CL. 97% responses were to my ads: 1. Will you take 5 bucks? 2. Will you take a check and ship it to X? 3. I have a shipping account, if you pay... Well, that is why people write that. Not to be rude but there are more scammers than actual prospective buyers.
I had a hunch that maybe a prevalent scam opens with that question, or something like that.

My entire CL experience is based on about 10 purchases and about 5 sells.

All were straight forward nice experiences.
 
^^^A ton o' TRUTH here.^^^

In all honesty, I'd like to know how this process goes in explaining the value of said gear, to family members that have no clue the worth or value of it, so they are not duped. Are you 1) writing this stuff down (gear & value) in a spiral notebook someplace? or 2) having a pre-conversation prior to one's death? All ears here. Heck, maybe start a thread on this topic... :dunno: :idea:

Both.

It's not rocket surgery. Unless you have a warehouse full of stuff.
I already have an inventory for insurance purposes.
I've also discussed with one of my relatives ( two nephews, one niece who are brothers/sister) what the good pieces are worth.
At your prompting I'll leave a note instructing them to consult ebay sales, both for current asking and selling prices at the time they come into possession of such articles. Or I'll just mention again during Christmas...
I'd hate for them to come to AK and ask what's my uncles junk worth.*
One guy will say I paid $25 for an MCS 3125. The next guy will says I sold one for $1500.


*Only partially said in jest. I don't mind someone who joins AK and asks the value of 1 or 2 items.
Those that ask about 8, 10, or more...well I'll instruct my family not to be that guy.
 
Last edited:
Most of the time, I recognize a scammer before they even start. Not sure what it is, but there is something about the communication that is off. I guess that comes with experience. I've been doing this for about 15 years now. Started with Apple Computers and peripherals and then moved on to audio. I even have 4 airport expresses in the house. I've had my share of Nigerian Princes and their mothers. When I was really on it, if an item I had didn't sell in a couple of weeks, I would pull my ad, re-write it, and take new pictures. That often worked. A few times, I upped the price to what I thought was ridiculous, and it worked. Item sold quickly for more than I expected. Over the years, I've met a few legendary characters. About a year ago, I met one who I should have met many years ago, but we never did. When we met, we got to talking, and it turned out I have legendary status too! Who'd a thunk!?!

As for when we move on to the great hunting grounds, I would recommend that if you want the gear to go for value, you had better do it yourself. Once we are gone, our families will be going through things that often have no value to them, even though they do have value to me. Take care of it or don't worry about where it will end up. As far as I'm concerned, if we leave it to family to take care of, it might not end up where we want it to.

I'm in the middle of renovating my house right now, and as part of that process, I had to empty out the main floor. I filled up a 20 foot container! A lot of the stuff is audio gear. My wife has told me it won't be coming back into the house. I agree. I want to simplify my life, not make things complicated. I had planned on an online auction before storing my possessions, but ran out of time to do it all. So now, we will add things slowly into the house, and take the opportunity to thin down our stuff. Then we will do the online auction. After that, I guess I'll have to find something else to keep me entertained. I'm pretty well done selling audio gear anyway. The buyers have changed, and it just isn't fun anymore.
 
That does sound super frustrating.

Speaking for myself, I price my stuff fair but also firm. It always says right in the ad that the price is firm and offers below asking will not be entertained. Weeds out the lowballers and tire kickers. Life is too short for haggling.

What you say makes a lot of sense. But weeding out the low ballers takes out most of the possible buyers. I'm constantly sitting on equipment I'm trying to sell because my prices are usually firm at what I think it's worth. Low ballers need not apply.
 
I have my share of GW finds, the best was at a Catholic stir called the attic, got a luxman amp (only 30x2 SS) for $300 and at another Kliosch heresy's for $15, another pair were $220 at GW, I have a few pro audio amps too, but it's so hit and miss. I walked in and saw some guys looking at speakers and watched for them to walk away or by. They walked away and I saw they were Carver's about 4ft tall. I immediately asked the worker to bring them up to the front right away. As he was walking away the guts that just spent 20 minutes dicking around came running back over now saying they wanted them? I was like you never said you wanted them and I did. They argued and I finally said screw it. I was really pissed but I know that the probably needed work if they wouldn't be there. All I could do was put a curse on the speakers and hope they were a never ending problem for them.

Most recent find was a Yamaha 7.2 receiver for $14, a DCM center for $6, a paradigm center for $14, all in one day last week. I have found some good single speakers I find way better deals on offer up consistently than those few GW deals, half if the stuff I buy there is not worth fixing and I return it if it's over $10. I have tossed out tons of $ so I deserve a few good deals.


I do have an old set of warfdale W30 to sell that came from GW last year, they were connected to see if all drivers worked and placed in a stack of speakers I'll never use again.


I just noticed I made a mistake on the price I paid for the luxman amp should have been $30 not $300!
Lately there haven't been any decent pieces at any thrift stores. Even beat up junk is way overpriced, always missing knobs or speakers with burnt drivers and need foam. The stores have no idea what stuff sells for now and price everything far beyond real prices for thrift stores.
I reluctantly picked up a pair of paridgm 3SE minis that need foam and I have some laying around sin e I stocked up years ago when I saw the prices go from less than $2 each to $20 each with the new average price being $8 to $12 each.
Oh 1 more find was a like new Denon turn table that I haven't had any messages at all when priced at $50 with a cart and needle.
I have pretty much given up hope that I'll ever see anything worth buying at thrift stores. I can find way better prices on guaranteed working items and a huge selection on offer up. In fact thrift store prices are far above offer up. (In my area).
 
Back
Top Bottom