• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sennheiser HD-280 Pro Stereo Headphone review

Register to hide this ad
Yeah, the earpads on those headphones give you a little bit of a "wtf?" reaction when you first encounter them. It's like "no, those belong on $25 around-ears".

Otherwise I thought they were really fun rock headphones when I tried out my buddy's pair. Gear used there was a Technics SL1200Mk2 w/ Shure M95 cart and big old Kenwood receiver playing The Big Come Up by The Black Keys. It really did accentuate the emphasis on the treble you noticed. On that recording it damn near almost hurt my ears.

But yeah, fast and fun if not a little unrefined. Great for a first pair of headphones I think. I can also see/hear why a lot of schools with a/v editing courses provide them to students.
 
They do give off that initial impression of too much highs and a dip in the lower mids, but if you keep them on for a few minutes the earpads seal better to your head and the bass is better and the treble emphasis diminished. But I think that initial impression (which can recur with each listening session) gets a certain mood going that lasts beyond where it really applies. So I remind myself that they sound better after having them on awhile, and (surprise!) they do sound better. And I know I'm not imagining it.
 
Nice review. I never got over the clamping force of these headphones, especially for extended listens. I guess they just didn't fit my head! After about a year of use, the pads started coming apart - I lost the pad for the top of the headband and the right earcup pad started to rip open. Never had any issues with the sound quality for the price. I'm pretty sure I picked them up around $80 from newegg.
 
I love calling out and complimenting people who are wearing good headphones in public. Complimented a kid for wearing a pair of these today.
 
I have had my 280's for 8 years now!
they always give my great listening pleasure. My nephew got some "beats" (by dre), i still take the 280s over them
 
i've owned mine for for about 7 years. i never cared much for them with regard to music, but their isolation was great for watching TV/movies in my very noisy apartment complex back then. i never use them now as i've moved to a much quieter neighborhood. one thing i didn't like about them though, is the coiled cord.
 
Always loved mine! :thmbsp: Don't really need a headphone amp (iphone, laptop) yet, and good passive isolation. and for 100 bucks? hard to beat them in my book :) Many people think they sound kinda thin and harsh until you burn 'em in a bit
 
Back
Top Bottom