• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sherwood S7210A with ADS L520s? Ohm issue?

kendo581

New Member
Hi All,
I'm new to the audio realm, and have been slowly putting my setup together. A while back I purchased a Sherwood s7210A because I heard it has great AM/FM reception (I listen to a lot of radio...) and recently purchased a pair of ADS L520 speakers (found a good deal, they sound great). I found specs on the Sherwood on another AK post that said it is was "RMS Power: 26 watts x 2 @ 8 ohms, 20 - 20,000Hz":

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34208

On the back of the ADS L520 speakers, it says both "50watt nominal 6 ohm nominal" and "100 watt nominal 4 ohm nominal".

Is this an OK setup to run? Is there anything I should be careful about? Should I not be running this setup at all?

Thanks for helping out!!!
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm not sure what those figures mean. I THINK the first figure is for a single pair of speakers and the second figure is for four speakers in an A+B configuration.

Your Sherwood is rated for 26 watts/channel at 8 ohms impedance. The ADS present 6 ohms. Not down as low as 4 ohms, but still slightly less than 8 ohms. I think, impedance wise, you should not have a problem. I also think they are recommending 50 watts/channel if you are using one pair and an amp rated at 100 watts/channel if your are running two pair.

Now I have to take out the crystal ball.....OK, I feel you will be OK as long as you don't try to drive the speakers too loudly. If you try to turn them into a disco dance setup, you can overdrive your receiver causing it to clip. Clipping is a main cause of blown speakers. Looking at the ADS speakers with a 2 way sealed system using an 8" woofer, they seem very close to my AR4x speakers. I would assume they would be similar in efficiency. I drove my AR4x speakers with 17.5 watts/channel to 70 watts/channel amps, but I was not a rock freak and usually listened to light or classical music at moderate levels. They lasted me over 30 years and are still working, although my granddaughter has them now. Good luck!
 
I think the Sherwood and the ads speakers would be a dandy combination.

DSC_0234.jpg
 
Last edited:
Thanks for replying! The setup sounds great! I really dig the Sherwood look. BTW, my Sherwood is a "7210A", which I understand to mean that it's an "update" from the original 7210. The original 7210 was labeled "Dynaquad". Mine model doesn't have the "Dynaquad", but has an ARS option (in addtion to A, B and A+B) on the speaker knob. Is ARS the dynaquad, just not labeled? Or something else?

Thanks again for all the help!!!
 

Attachments

  • img_4165.jpg
    img_4165.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 22
  • img_4169.jpg
    img_4169.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 22
ahh, I don't know about the "A". The one that's passing through here is an unsuffixed 7210. I forgot because there's also an S-7200 downstairs (which I think lacks the "Dynaquad"). The Sherwood model numbering was a little too subtle or maybe just arcane for me :-)
 
Back
Top Bottom