• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Shopping for new table.

samstown51

New Member
Hi. I am looking for a nice turntable to upgrade to. I found the following table online for $500. IS this build worth it?
DENON DP-755 DIRECT DRIVE
GRACE G-707 TONEARM
SIGNET TK7E CART WITH TKN-22 STYLUS

I am trying to stay in the $300-$400 range but this seems like a nice table.
Thoughts?
 
Register to hide this ad
I had a Denon DP45F with a Signet TK7LC years ago. The TT was pretty cool, but I seem to recall the Signet being a bit on the bright side.
 
Seems like a pretty good price. As long as it works well and has been maintained. These bargains tend to sell fast. Maybe, best to jump on it? :idea:
 
Again about the Grace 707: it doesn't look like much, but it seems to do everything right: the inconvenience of the attached headshell means less resonance issues there; VTA adjustment (insider tip: put tail up, to replicate the 91-92 degree angle of the cutting stylus, not the current and erroneous vogue of having the tonearm parallel, or tail down, with the record); well made aluminum tube; great bearings; a good anti-skating system; damped counterweight.

This is an arm that will seem to get better and better, as you continue to fine tune alignment, azimuth, VTA/SRA, anti-skate and VTA. It really will let pretty much any cartridge sing (my Victor LOMC only weighs 4.8g, which on paper is too light for the 7g effective mass of the arm, but the resonant frequency of around 8 Hz is just fine, in practice.

A much better arm than the typical Thorens TP16, Rega RB300 or Technics lower-budget S-arms (not familiar with the 1200).

I agree with the above poster - you may as well jump on it!
 
Signet was Audio Techica high end line of cartridges. As for Grace tonearms and cartridges they have a stellar reputation along with Denon made in Japan vintage turntables. Price is decent, buying tonearm and cartridge with mostly free turntable thrown in.
 
I hope he didn't miss it, but I imagine he did. If you have to ask if something is a good deal, you've likely already missed your chance. This depends a lot on where you live, tho.
 
Hey everyone.... I picked up the turntable tonight! Wow is it lovely. So excited to first listen. I am now awaiting a preamp. I need a cover for it too. Does anyone know if the DP755 has any sister models? Would one of their covers fit? Thanks!! Super excited thank you for all the help previously...
 
Glad to hear you got it, I really was afraid you'd missed out on a good 'table. Which phono-pre are you getting?
 
That should do the job just fine. Let us know how it sounds when you get it all together. And congrats!
 
Hey everyone.... I picked up the turntable tonight! Wow is it lovely. So excited to first listen. I am now awaiting a preamp. I need a cover for it too. Does anyone know if the DP755 has any sister models? Would one of their covers fit? Thanks!! Super excited thank you for all the help previously...
The 790 is the same table just no removable arm board. I have the 755 also with an AQ-9 tonearm on mine. great little table. You could find a plastic fabricator in your area. I would think you could have one made for under a $125 bucks.
 
Another update. it seems as if the 707 counterweight is seized on the sleeve. It will not spin to adjust. Going to try to remove it and put some small amounts of wd40 in it to see if that loosens it up.

Also. The cover hinges seem weird. when they are pressed down to the closed position they seem to want to fly right back up into the open position. both sides. is this normal without the weight of the cover? or is there a locking latch on these.
thanks!
 
Another update. it seems as if the 707 counterweight is seized on the sleeve. It will not spin to adjust. Going to try to remove it and put some small amounts of wd40 in it to see if that loosens it up.

Also. The cover hinges seem weird. when they are pressed down to the closed position they seem to want to fly right back up into the open position. both sides. is this normal without the weight of the cover? or is there a locking latch on these.
thanks!

Did the WD40 work? Maybe some 3-in-1 oil?

Do you have any photos of your turntable? Not sure what is happening with the cover's hinges. ??:idea:??
 
Did the WD40 work? Maybe some 3-in-1 oil?

Do you have any photos of your turntable? Not sure what is happening with the cover's hinges. ??:idea:??

I will attach a picture... I haven’t tried the WD40 yet will keep updated. As for the hinges, they move but don’t stay down.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 51
I think there is a small set screw on the counterweight. You have to first put the inner counterweight part on the arm, and then the outer (larger) CW over that. I got my 707 without a counterweight at first, and jerry-rigged something with an old brass plumbing fitting. I'll look at mine if you want, and run you through it. Let me know.

Nice table!
 
Back
Top Bottom