• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Shopping for new table.

I think there is a small set screw on the counterweight. You have to first put the inner counterweight part on the arm, and then the outer (larger) CW over that. I got my 707 without a counterweight at first, and jerry-rigged something with an old brass plumbing fitting. I'll look at mine if you want, and run you through it. Let me know.

Nice table!
I was able to unscrew the larger weight from the inner sleeve. When i go to attach the inner sleeve to the arm and tighten the screw, how do i get access to the screw from the bottom. Am i supposed to spin it a little until i can use a screwdriver?(i figured the black line should be facing straight up)
 
I was able to unscrew the larger weight from the inner sleeve. When i go to attach the inner sleeve to the arm and tighten the screw, how do i get access to the screw from the bottom. Am i supposed to spin it a little until i can use a screwdriver?(i figured the black line should be facing straight up)

Hmmm, not sure, mine came with the inner sleeve already attached. Will investigate when I get a moment with it.
 
Has anyone experienced balance issues with the grace? It seems as it will not balance unless the inner screw is loosened and the inner sleeve is slid back a bit on the arm. The weight unscrewed itself doesn't have enough weight.
 
Has anyone experienced balance issues with the grace? It seems as it will not balance unless the inner screw is loosened and the inner sleeve is slid back a bit on the arm. The weight unscrewed itself doesn't have enough weight.
Has anyone experienced balance issues with the grace? It seems as it will not balance unless the inner screw is loosened and the inner sleeve is slid back a bit on the arm. The weight unscrewed itself doesn't have enough weight.

How far back are you talking? The closer the CW is to the pivot, the better, but it can be all the way back if that's where it balances.
Here's a photo of mine. Post a photo of yours? (not meaning to sound like a pervy 8 year old)
20200716_111205.jpg
 
Last edited:
It just doesn’t want to balance if i don’t push the entire assembly back on the arm. And when i do the cartridge pressure to 1 after i get it balanced, it wants to fall all the way down again.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 16
Ugh i need more help. I’m trying to play my first record and the arm wants to keep returning back off the platter. The anti skate is set to zero on the grace. when the counterweight is increased it seems like it might start to stay on the record but it is way too heavy off the record. Any suggestions??
 
Ugh i need more help. I’m trying to play my first record and the arm wants to keep returning back off the platter. The anti skate is set to zero on the grace. when the counterweight is increased it seems like it might start to stay on the record but it is way too heavy off the record. Any suggestions??

First of all, your anti-skate is set to "0". Undo the set screw, move it to the red line (1g, I believe) and start it there. We will fine tune it later, but this might stop the arm from moving off the platter (although it seems to me it should be moving towards the spindle?).

Can you find some washers whose hole would be big enough to fit around the tail tube of the arm? I actually used a brass plumbing fixture as a CW when I first got my 707, as it came without one. You could try something like that (I actually liked the look of it, very steam punk - I posted photos of it somewhere here on AK).

Or add some Blutac as temporary mass to add to the CW?

Good luck, that arm will sing soon!
 
It seems to do best when the anti skate weight is completely off the arm. even when the weight is on 0 it still pulls back and restarts the track. I’ve noticed the right speaker has very high pitched acoustics when the left does not. I aligned the cartridge with a protractor. upon more investigating it looks like the stylus on the Tk7e is bent. I will attach pic. will that cause uneven sound?
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 20
That cantilever doesn't look to bad, maybe a slight bend to the left, looking at the photo. You might realign with the cantilever and stylus, instead of the housing, if you didn't do that. But as is, I don't think it would cause your problems. If the stylus is damaged, this might be an issue though. Any idea what condition the stylus is in?

Also, I'm wondering if the arm movement could be due to binding bearings? That is getting above my experience level - I've never repaired those. Hopefully one of the AK pros will chime in.
 
So i got a pressure scale in the mail today. Looks like i way way far away from 1 gram... It’s weird though because 1 gram of pressure is way past the balancing point of the grace arm. I’m gonna try to recalibrate it at 1 gram and see my results. I guess as long as the pressure is correct, the balancing point doesn’t really matter?
 
Here's position of my weights for both the main balance and the anti-skate.
On the balance weight, it suggests there is an optional add-on J-Ring Weight that can be added when using heavy cartridges - they state it is better to have the mass closer to the pivot.
The major change I had to make in alignment as-received was the height was way high at the pivot post, creating quite an angle with the stylus on the record (the Grace set-up guide recommends parallel arm to record)
I did not have to change my anti-skate, it seemed about right in testing and is about half-way (vs completely at the most inboard for yours @samstown51 and bit closer to the end for @doctor fuse.

If you don't already have it, you can download the manual at vinylengine

20200726_134923_resized.jpg

20200726_135239_resized.jpg
 
@samstown51 how are you making out? Progress? Did you get your balance and anti-skating issues resolved?

Incidentally I just watched this simple, clever and effective anti-skate setting process in a video from Soundsmith - Peter Ledermann
(I believe the method is actually attributable to Frank Schroeder).

https://www.sound-smith.com/soundsmith-cartridge-alignment

The actual method is at @ ~7.42 of anti-skating 2 but the whole tutorial is well worth watching as he goes to great lengths to explain how/why there is no 'one size fits all' setting, but you strive for the best average of what is going to give the best results most of the time.

The short of it is to drop the stylus down in the space BETWEEN the run-out grooves at the centre of the record and observe the behaviour as to which direction (& how quickly) it wants to go before ending up in a groove
Many of our experts are likely already intimate with this, thought I would add it here as point of reference.
 
Back
Top Bottom