• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Shot for speaker stands

Register to hide this ad
Call the closest gun shop and ask if they carry shot or if they know who does nearby.
You might consider sand, double bagged in ziplocks if you have the room.
 
Don't use lead shot. Lead is likely to become the asbestos of the 21st century. Abatement and disposal is likely to become a big business and a big liability for those with lead......................... just sharing the view in my crystal ball.
 
I think your crystal ball is smokin sumpin. Lead will be around for a long long time. Unless Klaatu arrives with the ultimatum!
 
I think your crystal ball is smokin sumpin. Lead will be around for a long long time. Unless Klaatu arrives with the ultimatum!

I think the point is not that you can't get it, it's that getting rid of it (legally) at some point may be problematic. It is poisonous, after all.
 
I use sand without a hitch,but be sure to double bag as mentioned! If you must buy shot...gun supply shops are best....big outdoor sports stores such as Dick's carry it too.
 
Sand in Stands

I will be filling hollow steel support tubes in steel stands - four tubes per stand. Stands are disappointinly light for steel. Lighter than other steel stands that I have.

I assume that I can just pour sand in, and do not need any lining. Is that correct?
 
I use beach sand sold in any major retail outlet for filling sand boxes. Beach sand has been washed, screened and refined. It works well, not as heavy as shot but close enough.
 
Steel balls or lead shot is pretty expensive compared to sand. If the stands are sealed at the point where the tubes meet the base, you can use as fine of a sand as possible. If the tubes aren't sealed, then use the plastic-bag approach as mentioned earlier.

Around here, the hardware stores sell "tube sand" for putting in truck beds, etc. to increase weight/traction in the snow. The tube-sand is a fine grain mix, not as fine as true silica sand but close and really adds mass to audio stands.
 
I'd be concerned that steel shot might be resonant.
If I was going to pour sand into steel tubes I'd hit them with some polyurethane spray first as the sand might be a bit hygroscopic and you don't want them rusting out.
 
I looked into lead shot too and found gun supply places to be the only source for the quantity needed for audio stands.

I have a friend who works at a tire shop and he gave me a box of used wheel balancing weights. Which, when I get around to using them (in a turntable stand most likely) I will mix with sand to fill the voids.

I agree that steel balls may be too resonant. I think sand is the next best option after lead. It's always a good idea to line whatever your filling with a thick mil plastic bag to avoid moister absorption, dust, corrosion, and also to possible lift the sand out neatly if/when you need to.

I've read that basic clay kitty litter is also an option, but I wouldn't use it here in New England as it gets very humid half the year.
 
Steel is about 5 times as dense as sand. Lead is about 1.5 times as dense as steel. Lead is not dangerous as pure lead, but some lead COMPOUNDS are quite hazardous.

That said, I would go to Walmart and buy a box of steel BB's and fill the tube with them. You will end up with something heavy like a solid steel rod.
 
Back
Top Bottom