• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Should I plug the Mac amp directly to an outlet

htsource

Active Member
I've been reading for power conditioning and some suggested to plug power amp directly into a circuit, I'm worried about surge protection.

Currently I have my Macs plugged into a Monster 5100MKII power center, it has dedicated outlets for power amps so I plugged the MC252 there. Good idea to plug directly into an outlet? Based on the amperage draw from the Monster meter, the amp draws less than 0.5A when in use. I guess I don't drive it hard enough :)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
It should be OK, despite what everyone else will recommend. Power amplifiers have pretty robust filtering, so you won't notice much or any improvement/degradation in your sound.
I have tried my MC252 plugged directly into the wall and plugged into my RGPC400 Pro and couldn't hear a difference. It's supposed to clean noise out of everything on the circuit, so theoretically it is still improving what is fed to the amp.
The big argument against plugging power amps into these devices is related to restriction of peak current draw. If you're drawing less than a couple of amperes at peak, the amplifier capacitor bank isn't getting drained. It's just idling.
 
Peace of mind, yes. And all electronic equipments are designed to tolerate less than perfect electrical current. Some would argue that there are audible differences while some would not, but I'd bet most people will never be able to tell when tested blindly :) I use a surge protector to protect my equipment from power surge, not for sound.
 
you really should plug amps into the outlet, due to dynamic loss, also you dont need to worry about surg protection for amps. If i were you I would also trade in that monster for a richard gray 400. it will do wonders for your set up.
 
Every time I compare, I find McIntosh amps sound better plugged directly into the wall. This was even true with my MC501s playing at less than a watt.

I find that CD players are improved the most with a good conditioner. I think this is because a good power conditioner will keep the RFI that lasers produce from getting into the other equipment through the power lines.
 
The design of the MPC1500 will allow a perfect impedance match between the amp and the AC power line. Some users have reported that this is improving sound quality. Yes, if the power conditioner can maintain the current flow without restriction it should be transparent. That said many feel that some models have a negative impact on amp's sound quality. Try it both ways and let your ears be the judge.

thanks,
Ron-C
 
I plug mine into a cheap surge protector, but that is only because my amp doesn't have a power switch, otherwise it would go straight to the wall.
 
I notice quite a difference plugging the Mac into the wall or the RG400. When I plug into the RG400 it is quieter and has a lower noise floor. More of a laid back sound. When I plug each 501 into a dedicated 20-amp circuit it is more upfront sounding. Also, with the mac plugged straight into the AC outlet, they seem to be more lively sounding.

So its a difference of what sound you prefer and then there is the protection issue.
 
The design of the MPC1500 will allow a perfect impedance match between the amp and the AC power line.

thanks,
Ron-C

virtually every Power line conditioner / surge protector I’ve tried seems to make my mc equipment sound worse. Dynamics flatten out even though my whole system doesn’t draw more than 8 amps!

Perhaps an impedance mismatch is the issue, all I can tell you is that my mc2102, c2300 and even my digital equipment sound better plugged directly into the wall.

However I’m in a new subdivision with relatively flat voltage throughout the day, I’m also third off the transformer so I suspect I have fairly decent power
 
Ron-C

I thought when the 1500 was introduced you said that the 1500 was for source components and that amps were better off connected directly to the wall on dedicated circuits.
 
Ron-C

I thought when the 1500 was introduced you said that the 1500 was for source components and that amps were better off connected directly to the wall on dedicated circuits.

I believe Ron said smaller amps (ie. MC275, MC252) can be connected to the 1500. Even at full output, they draw <12.5amps, which is 1500's limit.
 
MPC1500 does not ever draw current as the isolation transformer is in line at all times, turned on or off. When turned on, the active circuitry and LED lighting will take a small fraction of a watt to power. The current draw is dependent on attached components. At one show I had MX136, MVP1000, MDLP2, 2 x MVP871 and a MS750 connected and the amps were about 1.5 used.

As an experiment we have connected bigger amps such as a pair of MC501s to the MPC and when playing music, not test tones, we are able to drive the amps to power guard at above rated power.

The bottom line is that the MPC1500 is lowering the AC line impedance by the design of the isolation transformer which is allowing the amps to make lots of power. Unless you are playing test tones or using MC1.2K or above you can use any of our amps with the MCP1500. The front panel amp draw meter will let you know if you are exceeding its limits.

thanks,
Ron-C
 
So if I am reading this correctly, most of you seem to think plugging the amp directly to the wall is the way to go. It seems that Mac and all other manufacturers make the equipment to withstand surges or this would be a bigger issue.
 
I'm not a tech person.. just a guy who likes cool stuff.. I have a krell amp and I believe it says to plug into the wall as well.. maybe its a thing with high end amps.. it still makes me nervous though.. with as much as they cost.. but I guess that what insurance is for right?
 
It is always important to have a well maintained house wiring system which means clean tight connections at the fuse breaker box as well as at the outlets. Quality hospital grade outlets are a useful upgrade.
McIntosh amps will work fine plugged direct to an outlet and are very immune to surges and voltage fluctuations. If your house is hit by a lightning strike not much can help.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
So back to the question, is it better to plug amp directly to the wall?
I agree, lets keep things on topic here. The original question is "Should I plug the Mac amp directly to an outlet". No more debate on how power conditioners work.

My answer is: Plug the McIntosh amps directly into the wall. I get better sound that way. This is an easy thing to test, try it both ways and see what sounds best to you.
 
In Florida lightning strikes are my biggest concern so I make it a habit of unplugging my equipment when not in use and I do NOT use my system during stormy weather. Other than that dedicated circuits will work for me.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom