• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Should I replace the Wharfedales with these?

The Reverend

Just terrible.
I saw these Pioneer CS-R700 speakers locally and am looking for opinions. Here is a pic:
 

Attachments

  • pioneer.jpg
    pioneer.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 78
Register to hide this ad
What's not to like? The horns alone are worth a substantial amount of money.

But that brings up a critical question, OK you found these speaker and are interested in our opinions, but is that it ... opinions. Or were you planning to buy these, and if so, for how much?

$1,000 .... they're crap forget about them.

$100 ... most likely well worth it assuming nothing is wrong with them.

$10 ... they're excellent, buy them!

This is my round-about way of saying you haven't given us enough information.

What Wharfedales are you replacing?
What were they worth new?
How much do these Pioneers cost?
What were they worth new?
Is there anything wrong with them? (Wharfedales or Pioneers)
Can you try before you buy?
Can you take them on approval?

Knowledge is power.

Steve/bluewizard
 
Forget all the technical stuff -- do they have the grills? GROOVY TWO COLOR GRILLs. Assuming they aren't too expensive, I say get them. Great looking speakers, and I think they don't sound bad either.
 
Ahh, yes, I am sorry. I was fearing violating the "no talking about sales" bit. Here is the scoop:

My Wharfedales are the Diamond 9.2s, a modern speaker. There is nothing wrong with them and I like them a lot. Despite their wonderful, non-fatiguing sound, they are a bit wimpy. I paid $350 or so for them if I remember correctly (though they "retail" for $500, whatever that means!). The Pioneers are going for $120, and I have no clue what they were worth back in the early 70's. As far as I know, the pioneers are in beautiful shape with no driver issues. I will probably recap them if I buy them though, just because those caps are old old old. I am going over tomorrow to try them out, but the guy says "no cranking them up." So I am not sure exactly how to test them, though I am sure that if there are any issues even a moderate volume level will reveal that.

Yes, groovy grills! I am super stoked about the tu-tone grills.
 
The surrounds are rubber and will most likely be in good shape. Make sure you check the super tweeters. The speakers sound real good without the tweets working. I couldn't tell when I first got mine and got lucky and found a replacement locally. I'm using them in my Home Theater setup. The horns have great dispersion qualities. Great bang for the buck for $120 if they are mint. I haven't re-capped mine and they sound super. :thmbsp: Good luck !!

105_0595.jpg
 
The 9.2s like most of the Diamond series have really brought back the reputation of Wharfedale as a speaker company and have been getting good reviews. From the reviews it seems they harken back a bit to the days before speakers became digital ready ;) in the early '80s when speakers were reproducers more than designed to add things like false bass. I've not heard a set of 9.2s but an earlier interation and was favorably impressed even though I am by nature not a mini-speaker fan.

I'd suggest getting the Pioneers but NOT selling the Wharfedales first and listen LONG and HARD. Do not let first impressions control as many speaker sound great at first and then with time the weaknesses get noticed. They are not that expensive.
 
Cool, good idea with the tweeter.

I will be keeping the Wharfedales for now. If I like the Pioneers better, I will just swap them into my system and give my girlfriend the Wharfedales and sell the crummy (and large) Sansuis that are currently in her system.

Thanks for the advice!
 
Back
Top Bottom