• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Should you ever get involved?

Dr. Strangelove

Super Member
Banned
Back about 20 years ago or so, I was helping a friend with a computer. A customer of his drops by and, noticing the computer, said he wanted to get one. My friend says “Doc is the one to help you”. I wish he never said that. While I could have politely refused, I did commit to help.

The guy did not know anything about computers. I arranged to purchase the computer, printer, modem, monitor, etc, and invoice him for it. I also arranged a time to install and setup.

I arrived at his home at the appointed time (he ran his business out of his home). The front yard should have been my first signal. Very unkempt, with trash, glass, etc.

No one answered, although it was 10am, on a weekday. And, there appeared to be a number of cars associated with the house.

I left, went down the road, got a cold drink, and came back at 10:30. This time, he answered the door, looking like he had one very long night, and was not bathed. I was invited in.

When I tell you that there was a narrow path through the garbage and trash in the home, to get to where the computer was to be set up, believe me – it was the worst I had ever experienced personally. Had the rather large ashtray been the only thing over-flowing would have been a blessing.

I observe a small kid, a boy about three years old, walking around with a disposable diaper that needed changing. A woman comes down from the second floor, with some other guy. The two guys and woman got into a heated discussion about who would sleep with whom that evening. Most women that I have met pay some attention to grooming. This one did not. With nails as nasty as mine are after I pull a transmission or replace a valve cover, she did not seem to mind. You could even observe dirt rings around her neck.

The kid grabbed my [glass] drink bottle, opened the front door, and tossed it on the sidewalk. Now, there is more broken glass.

The kid started looking in the kitchen for something to eat. He pulls down the oven door, and climbs onto the top of the range, and from there to the cabinets. No cheerios, or anything else was to be found. Thinking to myself, what if the oven or burners had been on?

The kid rummages through the trash can, and finds a chicken bone, which he begins gnawing on.

Ok, you get the picture.

I hooked up the computer, presented my invoice, which the guy could not read as he was illiterate, and left. I never got paid, and did not really care.

Now, in a previous thread, it was suggested that as long as it is not hurting you, why do you care?

I know what I did, and did not do. What would you have done?

Doc
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
If I had been in a similar situation and with the visual clues of the exterior of the house as you describe and no answer at the door? I would have gone for a cold drink myself. Only difference is that I would gone on other side of town for the cold drink and I would have not gone back.

But that's me.
 
If I had been in a similar situation and with the visual clues of the exterior of the house as you describe and no answer at the door? I would have gone for a cold drink myself. Only difference is that I would gone on other side of town for the cold drink and I would have not gone back.

But that's me.

I did think about not returning. However, I have completed every job I have ever committed to.

Doc
 
I did think about not returning. However, I have completed every job I have ever committed to.

Doc

I certainly can't find fault in that, Doc.

The situation surely would have made me very uncomfortable which is why I could have never been a door to door salesman or any other endeavor that would require me to go to people's homes. I know my comfort zone and that one would not have been it. :no:
 
I certainly can't find fault in that, Doc.

The situation surely would have made me very uncomfortable which is why I could have never been a door to door salesman or any other endeavor that would require me to go to people's homes. I know my comfort zone and that one would not have been it. :no:

I did not know that he was not going to pay. But, if I had not done the job, I would have not met my commitment. His not paying was just another piece of the picture.

I have not been paid by some of the larger companies, as well as individuals. But, I have gained a lot more than I have ever lost.

Doc
 
Hey, that sounds like a service call I do on about a weekly basis, more or less. Then again, I collect payment.

dew.
 
Good grief, and the moon isn't even full.:rolleyes: We could use a little more live and let live around here.

As to what I would have done, well I think I would have asked my wife for advice, and maybe I'd have called it in.

I do think I would have thought twice about going back after it looked that bad.
 
Why do you not contribute something to this thread, other than your fascination with me?

Doc

My contribution to the thread would be to say this... You should have payed attention to your first instinct. Anyone who does not have enough respect for someone coming to help them to have their place in order and to make the helper feel comfortable probably doesn't deserve the help. The guy is obviously not even remotely trying to show you any courtesy whatsoever. The least he could have done is stop his child from taking your drink and told the people arguing to take it somewhere else if it was in fact his home.

After all I've been through in my life (which has been a lot...), I still can't understand why people would put themselves in a situation like this when they could just turn around and leave before even knocking on the door.

It's all about respect and reading the energy of a situation. That situation had bad energy and disrespect written all over it and you should have seen it from a mile away.
 
Last edited:
The question at hand is "what would you have done", not what should I have done. I am not asking for advice. This event, if you had read it, is twenty years old.

Again, just for you, what would you have done? Now, roll the clock back 20 years, and ask yourself that question again.

Doc
 
From the safety of my arm chair the answer is obvious. But, out in the real world things happen differently. My cousin's wife worked in social services in Ca. One of her clients (somewhat equivalent to the woman in your story) came in with her son. The boy was badly bruised. During the normal course of the visit she was able to talk to the boy out of earshot of the mother. This eventually led to a confrontation with the mother, who then ran out of the building with the child - accusing the child of ratting on her. Later that day, she beat the child to death.

While it seems like an intervention might have been in order, a better outcome is not guaranteed.
 
Thats horrible, makes me feel sick and almost makes me cry. People are ****, and sometimes I just can't stand them
 
It's easy to sit here and read the whole story as presented and claim that if any of us had been in your shoes we would have not gone in in the first place, we would have somehow gotten payment, we would have called social services, etc, etc, etc. I cannot imagine your discomfort at actually being in the situation, and I don't know how I would have responded myself.

I think I may have elected to get the computer in and get out as fast as possible and not want to get further involved (i.e., by calling social services), and not worry too much about payment - possibly fearing for my safety then and there or sometime in the future. I think if I had left and done nothing it would gnaw at me for the rest of my life wondering about the child and knowing that I could have done more. I think if things went that way for me the experience would cause me to take a much more active position about involvement in the future.
 
The question at hand is "what would you have done", not what should I have done. I am not asking for advice. This event, if you had read it, is twenty years old.

Again, just for you, what would you have done? Now, roll the clock back 20 years, and ask yourself that question again.

Doc

First, I would have politely declined considering that I didn't even know the person who needed the help. Second, I would have told my friend to not put me on the spot like that after the person was gone.

On the off chance that I had decided to help the person, I would not have put out all the money personally up front to set up some stranger with a computer in the hopes that they would pay me back. It would have been a money up front deal unless I knew the person well.
 
Back
Top Bottom