• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show us your Realistic (Radio Shack) stuff

View attachment 3078860
My sta-64. Picked up for $20 not working, new caps and a couple transistors later and it sounds great with my minimus 7's and a little 6" Yamaha sub. Led retrofit as well, takes 4 bulbs so I thought why not 4 different colors?
I have an sta64 in the collection and for fun I hooked it up to my C V 26 speakers and was surprised how what that little 16wpc could do !
 
Ya, I find myself listening to this 64 more than my higher end stuff. The quatrovox setting which seems like a cheap marketing gimmick is actually pretty impressive for such a simple circuit, genexxa pro 77's in the back and minimus 7's in the front w/ small powered sub. Mine sounded awful at first so I looked at the schematics and found the quatrovox setting switches in a little ceramic cap between gnd & spkr- on the rear channel, replaced the old ceramic with a high quality film cap and the quatrovox came alive! It's my preferred setting on this receiver now.
 
Last edited:
Those are nice looking receivers. They kind of look like a Sansui with a later 70's Sony-ish dial and meters.
The sta2080 had mosets in the preamp and have a 4 gang tuner .The sta2290 sold for a hundred dollars more new , but the sta2080 has a better phono preamp and a more refined better sound ! But the sta2290 is no slouch and had as very good tuner and 10 to 20 wpc more depending on what year it was made !
 
Just grabbed this sta-90 for 40 bucks, control's are a little scratchy but everything works! Can't wait to hear it once it's all rebuilt, gotta find a speaker selector knob but otherwise it's pretty nice cosmetically.View attachment 3171549
You should be able to find a replacement in ebay. I found a few that were missing on a Realistic receiver I had. There were multiple sellers.sellimg the same knobs I needed.
 
Not sure if this one counts! It's my Allied 498 receiver from 1971, when Tandy bought Allied Radio. The 498 is basically a repackaging of the Pioneer SX-2500. I even made a box with two buttons that connects to the "B" headphone jack that I modified to allow those buttons to control the direction of the auto search station feature, just like on the Pioneer receiver. You can sit up to 20 feet away with the wired box. Talk about "remote control"!! :cool:

ARS-498.jpg498 + Dual_1219.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom