• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show us your Realistic (Radio Shack) stuff

It looks like the progression of Radio Shack's 'glide path' receivers went something like this (borrowed heavily from @Ed240 's very nice spreadsheet). Presented in chronological order of release, except for the STA-65 variants.

View attachment 2786415

In general, there appears to have been a less expensive series (~20-35 wpc) that consisted of the STA-65 --> STA-80 --> STA-82 --> STA-84 --> STA-85 --> STA-800, and a more expensive series (usually with mid-tone controls) that went STA-120 --> STA-120B --> STA-150 --> STA-220 --> STA-225 --> STA-235 --> STA-235B
Just a note on the list you posted, the Sta-65 and 65B didn't use "Glide Path" volume/balance controls, I still own two 65B's, one restored, and the other is a parts unit.....;)
 
Last edited:
I saw somebody posted a pic of STA-90 in this thread and I was impressed by the look. Enough that I looked for one online. Has cleaned up nice so far and it will be a keeper for me. So far have not found a thread on a electronic resto project for these, will keep looking. I was not expecting solid aluminum knobs on this, pleasant surprise. And Quatrovox! View attachment 2798439
An STA-90 was my first decent receiver I bought used for my first system I put together in the late 70's. Sold that one to my younger brother many moons ago, not sure what he did with it. I did buy another several years ago "just because".....:)
 
View attachment 2799510 View attachment 2799511 View attachment 2799513
I went to my buddies house yesterday for some vehicle repairs and he insisted I take these home. My dog stays in front of my speakers and immediately went and planted herself in front of them. Fresh in the door dirty and untested so far.
Very nice of your buddy....I still use a pair of T-100's as my "A" speakers on one of my systems. I had a second nice pair of them and sold them to my son who still uses them.....:)
 
Not sure if this qualifies, but the early quads and this Modulaire-4 also used "Glide Path" volume controls.....:)
index.php

Mom and dad bought that to replace the Motolola console I had gutted to make my first "integrated amp". The receiver came with 4 very inexpensive speakers connected via RCA plugs. Good times...
 
i always loved the look of 80s rat shack receivers.

as long as it doesn't have buttons or sliders for the volume, i'm there man
It seems like e erybody jumped on the band wagon then when it came to complicated block diagram displays and lots of buttons and LED's.
 
It seems like e erybody jumped on the band wagon then when it came to complicated block diagram displays and lots of buttons and LED's.
jvc had a really flashy,colorful line that i dug back then but they had buttons for volume. and it wasnt the good buttons that had a motor for a potentiometer, it was the dreaded digital control with the clicking. i'm just not into that nowadays.

i could do without the block diagram but i love the flourescent meters
 
View attachment 2799798 View attachment 2799796 View attachment 2799797
Not sure if this qualifies, but the early quads and this Modulaire-4 also used "Glide Path" volume controls.....:)View attachment 2799789.....Also the Concert-Master.

The Concertmaster stereo-radio was very popular when introduced ~1970. It sounded great, and even haf a magnetic phono cart preamp built in.

That Modulaire-4 was well after my time with RS...the old Modulaire/Rhapsodie (sp?) was also popular, had nice wood case and didn't sound bad; it had silky feeling controls not duplicated on anything else. Sadly, just high level/ceramic phono input, but on occasion we would sell a better turntable like a Lab-6 or Lab-12 (BSR-built) and a small preamp with it.
 
Hey guys, loving this thread! I just did a renovation of my Optimus 5B speakers. Did a recap of the crossover (didn't do the VL mod, it's above my station at the moment) and then sanded and restained the cabinet that someone had slopped a ton of red stain on and painted the fronts with a color called "revere pewter" and I think they look pretty sharp! This was my first proper recap project so my solder skills leave a bit to be desired but everything is sounding AMAZING. I've fallen even more in love with these speakers than I already was. Cheers!




 
Hey guys, loving this thread! I just did a renovation of my Optimus 5B speakers. Did a recap of the crossover (didn't do the VL mod, it's above my station at the moment) and then sanded and restained the cabinet that someone had slopped a ton of red stain on and painted the fronts with a color called "revere pewter" and I think they look pretty sharp! This was my first proper recap project so my solder skills leave a bit to be desired but everything is sounding AMAZING. I've fallen even more in love with these speakers than I already was. Cheers!




They turned out nice. I've been looking for a pair of those for some time now.
 
The Concertmaster stereo-radio was very popular when introduced ~1970. It sounded great, and even haf a magnetic phono cart preamp built in.

That Modulaire-4 was well after my time with RS...the old Modulaire/Rhapsodie (sp?) was also popular, had nice wood case and didn't sound bad; it had silky feeling controls not duplicated on anything else. Sadly, just high level/ceramic phono input, but on occasion we would sell a better turntable like a Lab-6 or Lab-12 (BSR-built) and a small preamp with it.
I did buy the Modulaire-4 in the picture, seller lowered the price and took a chance on it and won the listing. After cleaning/lubing the controls and sliders I was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounds, at the moment I'm only running it as two channel, when I have time I'll be trying it in four channel.......:)s-l1600 (27).jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom