• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show your Bicycle !

I put new tires on the wifes bike last week. Then we rode 18 miles. and about halfway thru it started making a ticking sound. Did some analysis during the ride...not drive train related, front wheel only, requires weight to cause the noise. So, I guess after 40 years the grease in the bearings is gone.
I have a parts bike, a Miata built in the mid 80's like our Schwinn. I put the new tire on that rim and her bike is back in business again.
Maybe someday I'll work on the bearings, but for now it's much easier to just grab the 'next rim up' .
Ticking sound? Have you checked your spokes? I've had a loose spoke do that ticking sound. Or .maybe not.
 
Good advice. I'll check the spokes. Makes sense since it only does it under pressure. Also, seemed to go away for a brief moment after making a sharp turn.

However, I don't think the 'new' wheel was used much. It had an ancient gum walled tire that still had little whiskers on it.
It runs very true.

Sunday afternoon, Portland ME

IMG_7142.jpg
 
Last edited:
Your pump is keeping the frame from collapsing in on itself?
No, that's not it. Nobody on either forum noticed the oddity hidden in plain site: When was the last time you saw a Hoyt Clagwell bicycle? Hoyt Clagwell is a company better known for farm tractors. :)
 
No, that's not it. Nobody on either forum noticed the oddity hidden in plain site: When was the last time you saw a Hoyt Clagwell bicycle? Hoyt Clagwell is a company better known for farm tractors. :)
I suspect no one noticed the oddity because there are hundreds, maybe thousands of small independent frame builders out there. I'm guessing most people would simply assume Hoyt Clagwell was just another boutique frame builder. I've never heard of Hoyt Clagwell. :dunno:
 
I've never heard of Hoyt Clagwell.
Suddenly I feel very old. Hoyt Clagwell was the name of the imaginary tractor manufacturer in the Green Acres TV series. I guess the younger set has never even heard of the show, let alone such an obscure reference to it.

The bike is actually a Fuji Altamira.
 
Suddenly I feel very old. Hoyt Clagwell was the name of the imaginary tractor manufacturer in the Green Acres TV series. I guess the younger set has never even heard of the show, let alone such an obscure reference to it.

The bike is actually a Fuji Altamira.
FWIW, I’m 75.
 
No, that's not it. Nobody on either forum noticed the oddity hidden in plain site: When was the last time you saw a Hoyt Clagwell bicycle? Hoyt Clagwell is a company better known for farm tractors. :)

I took notice of the name, but I just thought maybe it was a builder I'd never heard of or something. I'd never heard of Hoyt Clagwell before. I'm not super knowledgeable about tractors (I live in the city...unfortunately), but the vintage tractor brands I'm more familiar with around these parts are Massey-Ferguson, Ford, International, Farmall, Allis-Chalmers, John Deer, Case, etc.

Maybe you should hook up a harrow to the back of your bike and try tilling a field. ;)

I suspect no one noticed the oddity because there are hundreds, maybe thousands of small independent frame builders out there. I'm guessing most people would simply assume Hoyt Clagwell was just another boutique frame builder...

^This.
 
We rode that stretch last summer. Did some of it in March also.

Does the Ribbon Cutting mean all the road crossings are finished ?
They were tricky.
As I recall you got hurt there last year.
 
Last edited:
We rode that stretch last summer. Did some of it in March also.

Does the Ribbon Cutting mean all the road crossings are finished ?
They were tricky.
As I recall you got hurt there last year.
Early in my season I got distracted while holding the handlebar with 1 hand.
Tire went off the pavement and caught it going back on.
One hand brakes, I flew over the bar and landed full weight on my hand = hematoma.
That sucked.

I'm pretty sure all the crossings' stoplights are functional now.

It's not technically The Wayside section but this (public) group is where most MCRT postings land:

Friends of the Mass Central Rail Trail—Wayside

.
Here's the posting about the most dangerous crossing on that section:
 
My latest rescue, dragged it home from Hartville flea market this summer. Mid '60s-vintage Italian Carnielli folding bike that was looking like a junkyard cast-off. Looked like a challenge, price was acceptable after a bit of haggling with a desparate-sounding seller. Bike was 100% OEM everything, including the hex wrench for adjusting handlebars & frame pin removal.
So, off with the junk tires, seat, rusted & seized chain followed with total disassembly down to the bearings. 90% of the rust on the chrome bits came off with steel wool, thankfully. All original decals present except for the chain guard & the 1975 Ohio watercraft sticker someone slapped on long ago.
Replaced both tires, 1 tube (yes, there's an original tube still holding air!), flea market seat for a buck which is 100% better than the original, new chain, some bearing balls in a pedal, front wheel & bottom bracket had 7 caged ball bearings where 11 loose ones are supposed to be, so the cages went in the scrap pile. The only drawbacks to this thing now is a too-short for me seatpost & single-speed coaster brake rear wheel. Frame most likely won't accommodate a sturmey-archer 3-speed coaster brake hub, so I'm stuck with the original Sachs "Torpedo Boy" crap original. Frame hinge was rusted so tight I had to slam it upside a downed tree to separate the 2 sections. Lotsa work, minimal expense, put a couple miles on it 2 days ago.
So far, so good!
 

Attachments

  • 20261007_163259.jpg
    20261007_163259.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20261007_163325.jpg
    20261007_163325.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20261007_163438.jpg
    20261007_163438.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20261007_163355.jpg
    20261007_163355.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom