• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Shure V15 Type III CARTRIDGE re-issue by Jico ---> JV15 Type III

And it does take some effort and vigilance, if buying local. I think a lot of us vintage lovers are chronically online, looking for stuff and other folks may be more casually looking. I got a type III-DU on ebay and thankfully it was all good.

For my Type V, I offered a guy selling a turntable $50 for the cart alone (+ a MR stylus with a bent cantilever - I knew this from the listing), and did a 'drive by' purchase as he lived off Times square. Met me at an intersection, saw each other at the traffic light, talked for 30 seconds and made the exchange. Folks around us probably thought it was a drug deal, as I didnt get out of the car and was in the right lane at a red light, lol. I don't think I even put the car in park
 
Last edited:
My V15mk3 was free as was the arm it was mounted to,SME 3009 mk 2 Improved,that doesn't happen very often.
As mentioned above they can be picked up at a reasonable cost.
Jicos version will be a premium price due to the tooling costs.
 
Looking through reviews of the J44 (their m44 clone) it seems they aren't dismal performers, at least from the 3 or 4 non professional reviews I've seen.

found this one .. https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=44035.0

So there is hope!

Anyone know the cartridge / stylus costs for a V15 III with the VN35MR stylus was when it was last produced? Might be a fun little curiosity to see what the old vs. new ratio is if/when produced and avalable. Their equivalent-ish stylus “VN35MRB II” is $180 on their website. VN35MRB II, VN35EB – JICO
Don't know the cost for a VN35MR stylus originally. In 1973, a Shure V15 Type III with it's .2 x .7 mil nude elliptical stylus was $69.95 list. The first stylus upgrade, was in 1978, just after the V-15 Type IV became available. That was the HE stylus, the MR became available after the V-15 Type V became available. Shure used to offer the V-15 Type III customers the benefit of later styli refinements usually not too long after the successor cartridge became available.
 
I'm a little surprised that other companies such as Shure, Pickering, etc., haven't resurrected some of their old, classic cartridges. With the resurgence of vinyl, there's definitely a market for them - even at elevated prices.
 
DaCapo Audio shows it on their website for like $97590….
Yep, but with the following addendum: Release date to be announced. Price is still unknown
So it should come down a bit ;)
 
I'm a little surprised that other companies such as Shure, Pickering, etc., haven't resurrected some of their old, classic cartridges. With the resurgence of vinyl, there's definitely a market for them - even at elevated prices.
But does the supply chain still exist...

I'm guessing shure must still have all the tooling. It hasn't been that long.
 
Still have a III and a V. Both retipped by pros since I couldn’t find Jico SAS for decent money. The V on my PL630 sounds great.
If these are real, and stylus choices are as good as the SAS was expect to pay serious money. $400? Too much while plenty are still around. Yes, harder to find but they do show up.
 
Some of that tooling might now be in Jicos hands.

It would make the most sense, I assume there must be some cooperation at least since patents are involved.

The last of the og Stanton carts were what, 2012? There is totally a market for GOOD Stanton styli, please somebody do the 681 and 881!
 
Anyone see this yet? Exciting stuff! Ran across this on instagram


--------------------------

Introducing the SHURE V15 Type III Reissue by JICO
An Iconic MM Cartridge Returns

◉ Overcoming the Pressure of Reviving a Legend
The SHURE V15 Type III is celebrated worldwide as a pinnacle in MM cartridges for listening. Reviving such an iconic model was no small feat. JICO pooled its technical expertise, engaging in meticulous analysis, testing, and refinement over four years. We believe we’ve successfully met the challenge of resurrecting this legendary cartridge.

◉ The M44 Reissue: A Prelude to the V15 Type III
The internal structures of the M44 and V15 Type III differ significantly. Released seven years after the V15 Type II, the V15 Type III featured an enhanced magnetic circuit and a lighter stylus, resulting in more faithful signal reproduction from vinyl grooves. When we began developing the M44 reissue in 2019, our sights were set on the V15 Type III, with the understanding that success with the M44 was crucial for the V15’s revival. In total, this project spanned six years of dedication and refinement.

“We are proud to announce the release of the SHURE V15 Type III MM cartridge reissue, originally launched by SHURE in 1973. After completing the M44 reissue development in 2021, we immediately embarked on the V15 Type III project, dedicating four years to its development. Building upon the knowledge and experience gained from the M44, we meticulously researched and developed the cartridge, striving to recreate the SHURE sound of the era. Please look forward to the timeless yet new “JICO Sound.”

- Yukihiro Nakagawa, President and CEO, JICO

Stay tuned for the next chapter in the JICO Evolution, as we continue to push the boundaries of high-fidelity audio reproduction.

View attachment 3765906
View attachment 3765905
They have been talking about this for a long time and still waiting......
 
Why would there be any patents involved? The V15 III was introduced in 1973. If there were any patents, they have expired decades ago.
They were still producing them not that long ago, i bet they still have some active claims to it.
 
Any idea how much it's gonna cost?

Coming from JICO, it will probably cost much more than an Audio Technica, Nagaoka or Grado cartridge of comparable sound quality.

I lost all faith in Jico long ago, when they raised their prices to the sky. I recall when a SAS stylus didn't cost more than $100 USD.
 
They seem to sidestep the defining feature of the V15 III, the laminated core....wonder if the JICO will be an actual reproduction or just loosely based on the original?

"The internal structures of the M44 and V15 Type III differ significantly. Released seven years after the V15 Type II, the V15 Type III featured an enhanced magnetic circuit and a lighter stylus, resulting in more faithful signal reproduction from vinyl grooves"
 
But does the supply chain still exist...

I'm guessing shure must still have all the tooling. It hasn't been that long.
They might, if they didn’t do what that :crazy: CEO at B&O did when the management decided to stop selling turntables and cartridges. Ordering all jigs and tools destroyed :mad:.
At the time they didn’t want anyone else to make compatible cartridges because of supposed risks of “quality issues “, and the days of vinyl were done anyway.
The replacement cost is why I won’t touch any B&O turntable (except the old Beogram 3000 :bowdown:) and living in Denmark they are all over the place.
Arrogant clowns (trying to keep this rant polite)
 
It would make the most sense, I assume there must be some cooperation at least since patents are involved.

The last of the og Stanton carts were what, 2012? There is totally a market for GOOD Stanton styli, please somebody do the 681 and 881!
Gimme a Stereohedron. I don't care for which cartridge...I'll find one.
 
Back
Top Bottom