• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Siamese Sansui CD Dream - CD-a717D LTD and CD-a717D EXTRA

JimEGR

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Two special Alpha CD players here for comparison. A few years apart in production. LTD for Limited run of 1,000 units is based on the EXTRA, with a third generation MASH DAC and a special capacitor set.

IMG_0951.jpeg

IMG_0952.jpeg

Both work with the RS-1890 remote.
IMG_0953.jpeg

I’ll spend some time doing an A/B and hear if I can hear any differences between these two masterpieces.
IMG_0934.jpeg

IMG_0942.jpeg

IMG_0943.jpeg

IMG_0944.jpeg

IMG_0945.jpeg

IMG_0947.jpeg

Looking right at home with the C-2301!
IMG_0950.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Two superlative players, no doubt. I guess I should add an Extra to my wish list, as I doubt I'll want to pay the going price for a Limited. And my ear is not so golden that I think I'll be able to detect a difference. I'll be interested to read your take on any perceptible differences between the two.

Spec wise, do they use the same transport, just with differing DAC's and upgraded capacitors? Also, these look to have wood cheek blocks styled to match the AU-X1111 MOS Vintage, interestingly enough.
 
Two superlative players, no doubt. I guess I should add an Extra to my wish list, as I doubt I'll want to pay the going price for a Limited. And my ear is not so golden that I think I'll be able to detect a difference. I'll be interested to read your take on any perceptible differences between the two.

Spec wise, do they use the same transport, just with differing DAC's and upgraded capacitors? Also, these look to have wood cheek blocks styled to match the AU-X1111 MOS Vintage, interestingly enough.

Same transport. Some PCB differences, most notably there is a chip missing from the LTD and a large electrolytic in its place. I have not investigated. Upper left corner of the PCB’s.

Same cheek corner profile as the AU-X1111 but different wood grain graphic.

LTD
IMG_0937.jpeg

EXTRA
IMG_0938.jpeg
 
Very nice. I’ve never had a high-end in Sansui CD player. If I got one, I’d want it to be 120 V.

Rob
 
Will concur with the above. Virtually all of Sansui's very best CD players were exclusive to the Japanese market, thus100 volt only. I'm running quite a bit of JDM gear on quality stepdowns, and I know @JimEGR is as well, with no complications whatsoever.

Do not write these off just because of the input voltage difference, that's easily overcome. There is also a wealth of other very good quality gear available out of Japan now, as there are quite a few resellers who have recognized the demand for these items internationally. Shipping and fees can get a bit costly, but then again, if one really wants access to these rarities, a premium is usually going to have to be paid.
 
Will concur with the above. Virtually all of Sansui's very best CD players were exclusive to the Japanese market, thus100 volt only. I'm running quite a bit of JDM gear on quality stepdowns, and I know @JimEGR is as well, with no complications whatsoever.

Do not write these off just because of the input voltage difference, that's easily overcome. There is also a wealth of other very good quality gear available out of Japan now, as there are quite a few resellers who have recognized the demand for these items internationally. Shipping and fees can get a bit costly, but then again, if one really wants access to these rarities, a premium is usually going to have to be paid.
Yes, but it would have to match my amp. A CD-X711 would do just fine. Some run on 120v.

I have a transformer I run 100v gear on, I just don’t care to own any 100v gear.

We all have our quirks.

Rob
 
@Robisme, yes, the CD-X711 was made in export versions, including a US 120V variant. Now, it probably won't be easy to find, but it does exist. That said, I don't know what specs changed from the similar looking JDM alpha versions.
 
[
Yes, but it would have to match my amp. A CD-X711 would do just fine. Some run on 120v.

I have a transformer I run 100v gear on, I just don’t care to own any 100v gear.

We all have our quirks.

Rob

Makes sense. I’d want to match voltage, and be able to use the accessory outlet on my amp too. These 717’s plug right into my C-2301. And it sounds like you are already down the 100 volt road too, so you know the drill.

The 1989 CD-X711 looks to be an international variant of the CD-a717D EXTRA. No cheeks. But otherwise looks the same on the outside. Same DAC too. It sounds like.

Which amp are you talking about? AU-X701 or 901?

IMG_1022.jpeg
 
@Robisme, yes, the CD-X711 was made in export versions, including a US 120V variant. Now, it probably won't be easy to find, but it does exist. That said, I don't know what specs changed from the similar looking JDM alpha versions.
It’s next to impossible to find. It took me quite some time to find the TU-X711. In acceptable condition anyway.

Rob
 
Last edited:
Probably. I cannot say the last time I saw one "in the wild" (though I haven't been actively looking, either) and the JDM 717 variants are definitely more readily accessible; not that the latter are common by any means. The problem stems from the fact that by the time these models were introduced, Sansui had withdrawn almost entirely from selling in the US and Canadian market.

So, to the extent they made any models suitable for export there, it was only a small fraction of their production, which was by then concentrated heavily on Japanese market sales. Heck, even the earlier (1986-87) CD-X901 is impossibly rare, with maybe 2 or 3 I'm aware of having been for sale in the last 15+ years. The follow up 901i is also practically non-existent.
 
Last edited:
I once bought a CD-X711 with 230V

Not sure what has been repaired prior, but it wouldn't play CDs longer than 77min and after a while it had issues playing CDs and started with skipping. Needs repair and probably a new laser, but it is in my shelf for now.
 
Some of the best Sansui CD players (and amps) were JDM only
Agreed! I ended up sourcing a JDM CD-a707i player (w/remote) to closely match my AU-X901 and TU-x711. The player is built like a tank (as many are) and sounds excellent. I think I've cornered the market on 120/100v step-down transformers!
 
I’ll spend some time doing an A/B and hear if I can hear any differences between these two masterpieces.
They look really beautiful, congratulations Jim!!!
In my case, I only have two CD players, a Sony and a Pioneer.
Without a doubt, I'd like to add a Sansui CD player. I like the CD-a917 XR and the CD-a717D LTD models, but I know it might be more for decoration than use.
In December, I bought an EverSolo DMP A6 ME, and everything gets more complicated; you don't know which audio source to use anymore.
The same thing happens with my turntable; I only have my Technics 1200 GR. I'd love to add a Sansui SR-838 or SR-929.
If I remember correctly, you also have the Sansui CD-a917 XR.
The million-dollar question is, which is your favorite after A/B testing?
I know it's almost impossible because of all the variables involved, but in your personal case, which one would you choose?
 
They look really beautiful, congratulations Jim!!!
In my case, I only have two CD players, a Sony and a Pioneer.
Without a doubt, I'd like to add a Sansui CD player. I like the CD-a917 XR and the CD-a717D LTD models, but I know it might be more for decoration than use.
In December, I bought an EverSolo DMP A6 ME, and everything gets more complicated; you don't know which audio source to use anymore.
The same thing happens with my turntable; I only have my Technics 1200 GR. I'd love to add a Sansui SR-838 or SR-929.
If I remember correctly, you also have the Sansui CD-a917 XR.
The million-dollar question is, which is your favorite after A/B testing?
I know it's almost impossible because of all the variables involved, but in your personal case, which one would you choose?

Thank you! Discovering new Sansui Sounds never gets old :).

I can imagine having a DAC like that in the house in some way simplifies the listening experience too - just select a streaming source or feed it from a CD transport. I've continued to resist streamers and modern DAC's. I am still holding out with period source equipment and choosing physical media - CD's and vinyl for that engaged experience. I like the intentionality of physically selecting and queuing up my music. And I really like the sound of good vinyl and all of the different sound qualities from various cartridges.

Yes, I did have a CD-a917XR here. Like almost every CD player I have brought in from Japan, the XR arrived broken. I finally gave up trying to fix it and passed it on to another AK'er. And this may sound vain, but I wanted some new CD players that better visually matched my newest Sansui gear which is mid 80's black with the darker faux wood cheeks. The CD-a717XR was a mate for the AU-a907 Limited i had which I also passed on last year. So unfortunately I cannot comment on how the CD-a917XR sounds. I can say, out of all of the Sansui CD players I have owned, the CD-a917XR had the best build quality inside and out. That CD player is so heavily built and insulated and damped. Sansui really outdid themselves with the copper, bitumen and teflon with that one. I think they also employed two DAC's - one for each channel, if I understand that correctly. It is the same MASH DAC as in the 717 LTD. The CD-a917 XR is a gem and sold for 160,000 Yen vs 100,000 Yen for the LTD.

I do have that Sony XA777ES CD player here still which I can A/B/C with the EXTRA and LTD for additional context. I just need to pick up a couple more CD's so I can have a couple of artist options X3.
 
I can imagine having a DAC like that in the house in some way simplifies the listening experience too - just select a streaming source or feed it from a CD transport

The truth is, it makes life a little more comfortable, but you'll never have the combined audiophile and music lover ritual that vinyl offers. It's that analog aspect, full of sensations and connection with your audio equipment, that CD, SACD, DVD, or other digital audio sources could never surpass.
I understand your point about colors and appearance; everything should be harmonious and contemporary, otherwise it becomes a jumble of colors and designs, and visually there's no coherence, neglecting the musical aspect of each piece of equipment.
Please leave comments with your impressions; the comparison will be interesting. Is your Sony the SAC-SCD-X777ES?
Since you have the CA-303, you should try it with your B-2301L. It's a shame you didn't try it with the AU a907 Limited; I think you would have been pleasantly surprised.
 
The truth is, it makes life a little more comfortable, but you'll never have the combined audiophile and music lover ritual that vinyl offers. It's that analog aspect, full of sensations and connection with your audio equipment, that CD, SACD, DVD, or other digital audio sources could never surpass.
I understand your point about colors and appearance; everything should be harmonious and contemporary, otherwise it becomes a jumble of colors and designs, and visually there's no coherence, neglecting the musical aspect of each piece of equipment.
Please leave comments with your impressions; the comparison will be interesting. Is your Sony the SAC-SCD-X777ES?
Since you have the CA-303, you should try it with your B-2301L. It's a shame you didn't try it with the AU a907 Limited; I think you would have been pleasantly surprised.

You are spot on with the CA-303 / B-2301L. That marriage is coming soon. With the help of another AK'er I finally tracked down a lone A-603 SUT for my other lone A-603 so I can properly demo some music soon. Waiting on that package from Japan. The CA-303 ---> 907 Limited would have likely been a special chemistry. I am sure I would have really enjoyed it. I have found that I am not as smitten by the MOS outputs though. It is sweet and very musical but maybe a little softer SQ. That is why I let the 907 Limited go. I’m not done with Sansui MOS though. The AU-X111/1111 and AU-07 are on my watch list.
 
Back
Top Bottom