• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Simply Speakers OEM Advent Woofer

philthympc

New Member
Anyone tried this Simply Speakers OEM Large Advent woofer replacement? If so, how did you like it? How did it compare to the original? Anyone compared it to the original with the masonite ring? Specifically, has anyone replaced the woofers in their Dahlquist DQ-10 or DQ-20 with these?

Thanks!!
 
Register to hide this ad
I personally have not used this woofer. That being said can you reform yours instead?
I had a pair of mirror imaged DQ-10's YEARS ago with the masonite rings and was told that they're not the same woofer as an Advent ( although look the same) so I refoamed mine.
Maybe due to crossover and cab size in the DQ-10 you might have to change inductor/cap values to have optimal sound.
I can't give particulars as I'm not that well versed in this. I'm sure someone will chime in.
Peace
 
I personally have not used this woofer. That being said can you reform yours instead?
I had a pair of mirror imaged DQ-10's YEARS ago with the masonite rings and was told that they're not the same woofer as an Advent ( although look the same) so I refoamed mine.
Maybe due to crossover and cab size in the DQ-10 you might have to change inductor/cap values to have optimal sound.
I can't give particulars as I'm not that well versed in this. I'm sure someone will chime in.
Peace

I’ve got a pair of DQ-20i’s and one of the woofers has some distortion when pushed. It’s been refoamed, by the previous owner. I’m not sure if it’s just a bad, not centered refoam job or something more serious. I can’t hear any rubbing when I lightly push the woofer.

I will definitely investigate getting the woofer repaired, but I’d also love to hear some opinions about these supposed OEM replacements.

I’ve read many conflicting stories about the Dahlquist version being different more than just the felt dust cap, but other people say they’ve examined them and found no differences. It would be great to hear from the experts on this.
 
Carl (RIP) tested that woofer in an Advent and it was not a close match to the original.
The suspension was too stiff and the closed box resonance (Fc) was higher than spec.
The bass will not be as deep.
Carl's report is on the Classic Speaker Pages CSP.

I have DQ10 s and I've looked at a lot of the woofers on ebay and from what I see the
construction might be a bit better. The only two things that I've noticed is that the dust
cap is different (larger felted fabric) and the center pole is attached with a press fit
whereas in the Advent woofers it is most often glued.
Now, I've also seen very early, and rare Advent woofers with a press fit center pole.
Advent probably cheapened them for mass production.
 
Last edited:
There are discussions about the DQ woofer getting rebuilt by Regnar and having performance above a simple refoam or an advent woofer substitute. But it is spendy. Maybe not out of line with a quality woofer rebuild by some of the well known professionals in the business but for sure not a 25 buck home refoam job either.
 
Be very careful about who you use. If it needs a repair to the voice coil most guys will
cut and throw away the original spider, throw away the voice coil and use one that's
"close enough" and doesn't have an aluminum former.
New spiders with compliance as high as the original are not available as far as I know
and you'll end up with a woofer that's a lot like the Simply Speakers new woofer.
 
Be very careful about who you use. If it needs a repair to the voice coil most guys will
cut and throw away the original spider, throw away the voice coil and use one that's
"close enough" and doesn't have an aluminum former.
New spiders with compliance as high as the original are not available as far as I know
and you'll end up with a woofer that's a lot like the Simply Speakers new woofer.

Thanks for that info. I’m in the Seattle/Tacoma area and have heard great things about The Loudspeaker Store, but I also have heard great things about Miller Sound and don’t have a problem sending it out.
 
Are the genuine New Large Advent woofers suitable replacements for the older style with the Masonite ring or is there some kind of magic/mojo going on with that particular woofer?
 
Be very careful about who you use. If it needs a repair to the voice coil most guys will
cut and throw away the original spider, throw away the voice coil and use one that's
"close enough" and doesn't have an aluminum former.
New spiders with compliance as high as the original are not available as far as I know
and you'll end up with a woofer that's a lot like the Simply Speakers new woofer.

It is possible to get a spider that's got the proper compliance (it's what's designated as a "B" stiffness spider, from MWA Speaker Parts). It's just that, for some reason, it's not the standard spider that's used in the Large Advent/Dahlquist woofer kit.

Whenever I have to recone a burned up Advent woofer- I always make sure to specify that spider. I wish I could remember the number now... but it's been a while since I did one, and I don't have my notes handy...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Carl (RIP) tested that woofer in an Advent and it was not a close match to the original.
The suspension was too stiff and the closed box resonance (Fc) was higher than spec.
The bass will not be as deep.
Carl's report is on the Classic Speaker Pages CSP.

I have DQ10 s and I've looked at a lot of the woofers on ebay and from what I see the
construction might be a bit better. The only two things that I've noticed is that the dust
cap is different (larger felted fabric) and the center pole is attached with a press fit
whereas in the Advent woofers it is most often glued.
Now, I've also seen very early, and rare Advent woofers with a press fit center pole.
Advent probably cheapened them for mass production.
Sorry.
 
Last edited:
Hey Pete, it's Scottie Muñoz from over there. I just wanted to add, didn't you test the Masonite vs square magnet nla woofers vs the circular magnet woofer with numbers from the Jensen era? I remember the results being highly favor of Henries woofers? Did you test against these non OEM look a likes. Anecdotally, the simply speakers woofers are deficient in every way. I might notice a bit less extension on my 5012's. Curious if I'm remembering all of that correctly. And wanted to say hey, it's been a rough year heath wise.
 
I'm in the market for a set of dq10s myself. I'm in the refurb, repair budiness, I'm probably up to the hour- hip to the current prices for generally most East Coast speakers especially ARs, klhs, Allison, Advent , etc. Btw this is for my collection, not to move along. I've been around a lot longer than my handle indicates. Ill leave that be.

They're beautiful aesthetically. If the cutouts havnt been widened for the throwaway woofer, seem structurally sound. It's got some issues namely, definitely the wrong woofers and is that not at Allison dome mid? Secondly, request for pics of second speaker have gone unanswered.

It's a seller whom I bought from before and he's always been honest. He goes out of way of saying that they're not original, but doesn't elaborate. But then again also goes out of his way to say he won't undervalue them, basically, he won't go down.

Second problem is, a set of ar-3s have been bought ready to be picked up same time, for a great price, so I don't really want to piss him off either. ***Sorry, but it's relevant to my comment and directly the help I'm asking for*** it's the help I'm asking for related...based on the above, would you rather have a single new klh 5, or this set?That's what we're talking about for these gorgeous, unoriginal, dq-10's, without blatantly breaking the forums rules.

......

l live in Detroit ( he is in northern NY) and I travel a good 300-400 mile circular area every three, four months. Making one this week...to pick up those things you can't be shipped. (A set of 2 digit klh ones with Jenztson 1 30's whose only owner is an electrical engineer!!! Happy? yes) ( If line reading between those aforementioned lines is something you're good at, Dm me.)

I've got so many great sets and drivers that are pretty hard to find (nod) I might even have a DQ-10 dome driver and not know it. Or something.

Picking up, with a 30 day return, not a huge risk. I'll be able to test them.

***anyone lives in the radius roughly 300-400 miles from Detroit in the states, towards the east, I making this trip this week, I'd buy you a steak dinner, or some other obviously non monetary means, ( ha) if you'd listen to these and once over them for me, should I buy them and give me your impressions, most importantly educate me on a speaker system as wild as this I know little about. What's this about a second woofer module?****

What really bothers me is the listing is headed with "upgraded capacitors". Claims that they're upgraded with polypropylene. I read "dahlquest" (sp?) on all those caps except for the far right capacitor which is blue... it's possible that one which is obviously tweeter capacitor might be polypropylene and not original but he makes it clear that the xo's are upgraded and that's simply not accurate.

Like I said I do for a living as well so I can fix and repair. But to buy at a premium and fix and repair?

Oddly, I'd prefer them not to have poly caps, I adhere to Ken Kantor's, k.i.s.s. And do not disrespect the designer by using a cap not designed for the system. You may disagree.

1) I don't know what a good value is, for as good looking as these are, aesthetically...so I am blind here. This might be a great price as is?

2) there's no way to know for a fact that he didn't widen the cutout for the woofer or mid dome if indeed an Allison, making it much more difficult and a time suck.

3) despite my age and I'm only 42 I'm an absolutely originalist when it comes to my refurbishments and repairs of drivers only a handful of times in 13 years have I used anything that wasn't either salvaged or OEM in the speaker or a driver if I have a filter customer. I got into this because I wanted to hear what the rock and roll that I loved sounded like then and I wasn't alive not to hear what some guy modified to sound like which is fine if you are into that.

This set?

Thanks for the help
Scottie
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20230622_140518_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230622_140518_eBay.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20230622_140534_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230622_140534_eBay.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20230622_140545_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230622_140545_eBay.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20230622_140553_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230622_140553_eBay.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20230622_140545_eBay~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230622_140545_eBay~2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20230622_140633_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230622_140633_eBay.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20230622_141149_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230622_141149_eBay.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20230622_141148_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230622_141148_eBay.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20230622_141428_Photos~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230622_141428_Photos~2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20230622_141156_eBay~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230622_141156_eBay~2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 30
Those are being sold by audio classics. If you don’t know who they are, you should look them up.

Ad says the woofers are not original. That would be a deal breaker for me. Especially at that price.
 
Hey Pete, it's Scottie Muñoz from over there. I just wanted to add, didn't you test the Masonite vs square magnet nla woofers vs the circular magnet woofer with numbers from the Jensen era? I remember the results being highly favor of Henries woofers? Did you test against these non OEM look a likes. Anecdotally, the simply speakers woofers are deficient in every way. I might notice a bit less extension on my 5012's. Curious if I'm remembering all of that correctly. And wanted to say hey, it's been a rough year heath wise.

Hi Scottie, hoping all the best for you!
I've tested many OLA and NLA square magnet woofers and they are pretty much the same. The all metal frame NLA
woofers are constructed a bit better but an OLA woofer can be reglued to be just as good. The OLA voice coil former
is slightly longer (not the windings) which will provide slightly better thermal capacity theoretically but not noticed in
practice at all.
The round magnet Jensen version is also very similar but I think it might have slightly better Xmech performance but
do not have the tools to measure it.
I've never touched the clone woofers but Carl's measurements should be good and DO tell the story.
 
Carl had a customer who wanted a pair of Advents that were completely new. Carl got the Simply Speakers (SS)
Large Advent woofer and measured it in the box and found that the in box resonance (Fc) was too high. This is
due to the spider being too stiff. Carl also noticed that the in box Q was higher being over one and claimed
that it would help to counter act the Fc error but that is not really the case. Higher Q provides more output
around Fc, but a lower Fc provides deeper extension. A key feature of the Advent is the deep extension and
I'm not willing to give that up just to use new parts. I suggest finding a reasonably clean pair of woofers used
and have them refoamed by a good shop.
Carl provides near field FR measurements of the OLA and SS woofers and they are quite different, he uses less
stuffing with the SS woofer in order to try and recover some bass but the increase is above Fc and not below
where it is really needed. Advents with this woofer would be a very different speaker.
 
Back
Top Bottom