• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sir.Byrd's 2226H based super speaker project

Those are looking outstanding, Byrd! I believe that you are going to be really pleased with the finished product also :yes:

RC
 
Looking good. Use any biscuits? Type III PVA has longer open time if you need it. Great taste in clamps, I love those K Bodies.
 

Attachments

  • got_clamps.jpg
    got_clamps.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 82
... The woofers and flushmounted, and the waveguides will be after we figure out how we will do that... ...

I just posted a thread on my experience flushing in an odd shaped woofer. The technique applies to any shape you want to recess.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=332577

For round it's easier with the Jasper Jig, just do the recess before you cut out the center.

Start shallow at the outside diameter then move the pin a 1/4" smaller at a time till you get to the mounting diameter (You may have to make several passes if your recess is very deep). Finally make cuts at increasing depth at the mounting diameter 'til you are through. I like to leave about 1/8" then turn over and finish from the back, that way when the final cut finishes any slop/slippage when your center lets go is hidden inside you box.:thmbsp:
 
Those are looking outstanding, Byrd! I believe that you are going to be really pleased with the finished product also :yes:

RC

They are certainly coming together. Tomorrow we will work on them again. It is really exciting to see my drawings and designs coming into life, I've never built something this large before, restore yes, build no.

Did you go with the tapeease 1/4 round mdf piecs? It appears so from the pic.

I went with the corners you recommended, these are the 4" radius type.

Looking good. Use any biscuits? Type III PVA has longer open time if you need it. Great taste in clamps, I love those K Bodies.

No we did not use biscuits but rather some square drive wood screws, about 1" long, they were my dad's favorite type of screw. I don't think he has a biscuit jointer but my step dad does.

You can never have too many clamps.

I just posted a thread on my experience flushing in an odd shaped woofer. The technique applies to any shape you want to recess.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=332577

For round it's easier with the Jasper Jig, just do the recess before you cut out the center.

Start shallow at the outside diameter then move the pin a 1/4" smaller at a time till you get to the mounting diameter (You may have to make several passes if your recess is very deep). Finally make cuts at increasing depth at the mounting diameter 'til you are through. I like to leave about 1/8" then turn over and finish from the back, that way when the final cut finishes any slop/slippage when your center lets go is hidden inside you box.:thmbsp:

Luckily the flange of the woofer is about 1/2" thick. So we surface mounted the 2226H and then cut the 1/2" plywood to the larger diameter and it is just dandy!
 
...
Luckily the flange of the woofer is about 1/2" thick. So we surface mounted the 2226H and then cut the 1/2" plywood to the larger diameter and it is just dandy!

Ahh, that's what I refer to as a JBL Sandwich. Done that a few times myself. I put another layer on the inside to keep the Tee nuts from falling out too, sometimes just a ring.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=197647&d=1267134515

This set has three layers, with the middle 3/4" ply rabbeted into the four sides, 5/8" MDF on the inside, 1/2" particle board outside.
 
Dry fit, the plywood is loose.
Yessir1.jpg

Yessir2.jpg

Yessir3.jpg

Two 50W resistors will be mounted onto these heatsinks. Overkill much?
Yessir4.jpg

Cutting the shelf braces:
Yessir5.jpg

Inspecting the tit
Yessir6.jpg

Marking the shelf brace placement
Yessir7.jpg

Yessir8.jpg

Yessir9.jpg
 
Assembling box #2
Yessir10.jpg

Yessir11.jpg

Voila!
Yessir12.jpg

Yessir13.jpg

Mirrored:
Yessir14.jpg

Sitting back taking a break:
Yessir15.jpg

Gluing back panel
Yessir16.jpg

Screwing back panel
Yessir17.jpg

Full inner box
Yessir18.jpg

Rear shot:
Yessir19.jpg
 
Heyyyyyyyyyyaaa ! you copied me!!!. Ok, yours may sound a little louder!!!.
Nice job :thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:
 

Attachments

  • 000_0549.jpg
    000_0549.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 000_0551.jpg
    000_0551.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 000_0552.jpg
    000_0552.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 123
Hi Will,

Your latest project is looking pretty good. Will you be demonstrating them at next Summer's meet?
:banana:

BTW: If you're interested, at the PNWAS Meeting in January we're inviting all those whose speakers were entered in last Summer's speaker contest to display and play their entries as well as answer questions from the membership about them. I believe that your Super Sevens would be a real highlight.
:thmbsp:

Best Regards,
Terry
 
I can bring them, I will be refining them over the next couple months and I already solved an issue that I discovered when running a frequency response test.
 
Looking good!
And looks like alot of fun....there are an infinite amount of possibilities as to the cabinets "finish".
Looks count and you can be as conservative or avante garde as you wish to be.
Have Fun!.....PS did I mention looks count?:)
 
i think i like rosewood finishes the best. but it will be really interesting to see how black leather will look on a speaker cab.
 
Back
Top Bottom