• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Six foot speakers in NY

I don't know how we are determining Foster horns and 3/4" MDF from these pictures.
"Excellent Solid cabinets.. Heavy oak"
That, and the fact that 99% of all speaker cabinets are made from 3/4" MDF. The dome tweeters look nice too. If they're Dynaudio or Morel this qualifies as a scroe. They would also make nice subwoofer towers.
 
I don't know how we are determining Foster horns

Either a Foster of something equivalent. It's the dome tweeters & mids that are the most interesting to me. Audax or SEAS seem most likely from the pics.

00000_h6BCOmeIMLl_600x450.jpg


iu
 
Just spoke with the seller.

Nice guy, he bought the speakers at an estate sale and his wife just wants them gone.

Says the cabs are really well made and solid. No markings on the outside, I don't think he removed the drivers at all.
 
audax tweeters, the rest of the drivers are Gefco.

These were a no-brainer at the entry fee before those facts.
 
Last edited:
I still think for $40 they are worth an audition, others have mentioned the parts alone are worth more than the asking price.
One thing I find strange or odd, two terminal boxes on each speaker.
 
A custom build by someone who wanted (for whatever reason) a set of stacked towers. These look like mirror imaged "regular" speakers that were joined by potentially nice cabinetry.
 
Upgade (or just refoam) the woofers add a couple BG neo 8's where the cheap mids and dome tweeters are now, and stick a single Aurum Cantus ribbon right in the middle and you've got something wonderful for not much money.
 
A custom build by someone who wanted (for whatever reason) a set of stacked towers. These look like mirror imaged "regular" speakers that were joined by potentially nice cabinetry.


That's what I was thinking. Someone stacked (and reversed the orientation of the top speaker) two speakers and built new cabinets.
It looks like they did a nice job on the cabinets based on the pictures.
 
greetings guys, I just joined.
I was at this mans house buying some other speakers and took a good look. let me say this first, I am a cabinet builder/restoration person. been working with wood for 40 years. soo, these are one cabinet, not stacked. the workmanship is not dyi. the veneer is excellent, the miters are professional. the poly vinyl woofer is a bit odd, kinda like something you would put around a dogs neck so he cannot scratch...
it is mdf, with nice veneer, edges are excellent. if I had to build them...it would not be cost effective, and I have a shop set up for this kind of work..
I offered to buy them but he didn't want to take the money and not have me take them right then and there. and my truck was full.
I should go back and get them:) I just thought I would try to clarify any questions on here, as I was there.
thanks for a great site
greg
 
You guys realize that "75klipschorn" who just happened to join, and post only once, about being at the sellers house, etc. etc. is the guy selling the speakers, right?
 
Somebody please buy these so we can either change the discussion to a "scroe" or a simple backyard bonfire. Maybe we can get a North East group buy going for the next Frankenfest. If each of us throws $5 into the pot, we could get someone to pony express them to the next meet and either burn them or raffle them off.......
Could be fun either way.
 
You guys realize that "75klipschorn" who just happened to join, and post only once, about being at the sellers house, etc. etc. is the guy selling the speakers, right?

How do you know that,or are you just guessing.
 
How do you know that,or are you just guessing.
Sheesh, I shoulda put a smiley or something. It's a pretty good guess though. Guy just happens to join and post only ONE message, in Dollars and Sense, about a CL ad for one of a kind homebrew speakers. Then has intimate knowledge about the DIY speakers and just happens to be a woodworker himself. Then a day later this whole thread is linked in the CL ad. That's a whole lot of coincidence, don't you think? Although it IS probably against forum rules, I don't care much one way or another. However, I wish he would have posted more about what was actually IN the speakers.
 
The audio market in this area is pretty competitive - For $40 they would be a interesting garage speaker, probably not the best for hifi which is why they are still available - inexpensive drivers in a unwieldy set of DIY boxes makes for a hard sell i guess
 
Back
Top Bottom