• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SMAC October 2008

jmathers

Super Member
The October SMAC will be held at Dan's place on Saturday, October 11th from 1pm-6pm. See my email for details.

Hope to see you there.

Jeff
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi all - looking forward to the meet.

Is anybody interested in bringing a record cleaning machine to Dan's?

I think I am looking to build one. However, I am reluctant to do it if I can't do it right. In other words, I'd rather spend $1k for a very good machine that will do a better job if I can't build one to a satisfactory level.

I'd like to see one in action, either a DIY unit that works well or a commercial/consumer produced unit that works well. I'd really appreciate the opportunity to check it out and see if it is something I can reasonably replicate. I've seem some good projects on-line, but I think I need to see one in action (and the results) to fully understand.

There seem to be lots of articles and equipment reviews that suggest that a good record cleaner is money better spent over a turntable upgrade in terms of sound improvement. I guess this seems to make sense - dirty grooves rendered in the vivid clarity and detail of a fancy new turntable are still dirty grooves.

(You see, I'm really getting hooked on this audio stuff and I've got my heart set on a new turntable, the Pro-Ject Xperience, and that AND a nice cleaning machine are out of my budget!)

Any help would be appreciated ... thanks!
 
Don:

Do a search here on record cleaning machines and you'll see quite a bit posted (and beaten to death :D).

I'm of the camp that it really is just a mop up device; the real cleaning is done with your arm, the brush and the solution; all the RCM usually does is suck up the dirty water. Others disagree and sing praises of special brushes and magic fluids, but in this hobby that really is no surprise now, is it??
 
Thanks for a great time Dan. Sorry I had to book early but my tooth was killing me. I am now sadate on Vicodin and Capt. Morgan. Cheers.
 
Many thanks Dan for hosting. A very cool sounding system indeed. I enjoyed hearing the Altecs and the Connie Johnson TT. A great food spread and even some giveaways (who got the Playstation?). As always, hosts are the key to making SMAC a success. Thanks Dan for volunteering to have a bunch of weirdo audio geeks over to your place:thmbsp: and for helping SMAC continue to meet each and every month.

Jeff
 
Thanks Dan:

Enjoyed the whole day! Your hospitality, your system (magnificent) the music, the people, all in all a great get together.

Thanks Again.
 
I wish I could have made it. I'm sure that it would have been more fun than the gall bladder surgery I had instead.
 
I wish I could have made it. I'm sure that it would have been more fun than the gall bladder surgery I had instead.

Dude...I sincerely hope you are feeling better. Had gall bladder trouble myself - no fun at all. Should be "better out than in" now that you've had the surgery. Hang in there.

Jeff
 
Hey Squid, hope you are feeling better. I was there for just a bit but kept passing out because of all the Vicodin I was taking for my tooth. GALL BLATTERS SUCK, VICODIN RULES!!! Cheers.
 
Back
Top Bottom