• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

sme 3009 rewiring service, any experience?

I also need to re-wire the arm wand for my Sme 3009 III.
how do you get the connector out.
 
Soldering them is going to be a lot stronger. Be quick, watch the temperature, and use the headshell as heat sink and you should be fine. Using clips is an inferior connection.

my collet for my series II had clips and my soldering was on them.
 
I'm wondering if that is a re-wire. I've done lots of the Series IIs and they have all been soldered.

The wiring looks different than what I've taken out, too.

I think the safest way is to use wires that come with clips soldered.

Have you done a series III. i need to know about removing the connector?
 
the series II i rewired is having a ground issue. I'm going to replace the type of groung wire and re-soder it. one other issue I'm having that the arm drops to fast.
 
...one other issue I'm having that the arm drops to fast.

On occasion, you can buy new dashpot assemblies for the SME 3009 direct from SME in the UK. The US/Canadian distributor doesn't carry them.

I haven't personally opened up one as they've all worked well for me, but I also see no reason you couldn't "re-charge" it with dampening fluid/silicone oil.
 
the series II i rewired is having a ground issue. I'm going to replace the type of groung wire and re-soder it. one other issue I'm having that the arm drops to fast.
Again, talk to Alfred at the SME website listed in the 1st post in this thread. He is very helpful and will likely any parts you may need and other solutions. And, he will be far les expensive. I've dealt with SME in the UK and they are VERY EXPENSIVE when dealing direct. Over $200 for a headshell for my 309 as the U.S. distributor doesn't carry.
 
I just finished taking apart the SME. need to find a place to buy tonearm wires and good RCA. and ideas?
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm aware that this thread is several months old but for the benefit of anyone whose search lands them here (as it did me) I want to point out that the collet pictured here is not an SME part. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a Technics collet with several wraps of teflon tape. That's not to say that that is a bad thing, it may be a good alternative to the easily damaged SME collets, IDK. The poster did say the arm was less than pristine when he got it.
 
Back
Top Bottom