• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

So my beloved V15 Type II Improved fell apart yesterday.

olddude55

Super Member
Pulling the cartridge clips and the entire back part of the cartridge came out instead of clips coming off. I tried gluing the broken section back in place but the cart is dead. I had an NOS stylus on it with only about 30 hours on it and I loved the damned thing.
My backup is an M95ED with a JICO HE replacement stylus that tracks well, has plenty of punch, etc. but it's a lot brighter than the Type II. Doesn't have that great warm vocal sound or the bass slam of the II either.
Would a Grado Black2 be a suitable replacement? Or am I going to have to shell out for another Type II body?
Turntable is a Dual 1019.
 
Register to hide this ad
Pulling the cartridge clips and the entire back part of the cartridge came out instead of clips coming off. I tried gluing the broken section back in place but the cart is dead. I had an NOS stylus on it with only about 30 hours on it and I loved the damned thing.
My backup is an M95ED with a JICO HE replacement stylus that tracks well, has plenty of punch, etc. but it's a lot brighter than the Type II. Doesn't have that great warm vocal sound or the bass slam of the II either.
Would a Grado Black2 be a suitable replacement? Or am I going to have to shell out for another Type II body?
Turntable is a Dual 1019.

The Black2 works beautifully on my Dual 1019. I think you will like it.
 
I've been this close to pulling the trigger on the Black2. I'm like that guy who got a good haircut in 1985 and has been getting it cut like that ever since, it's tough to switch away from Shure.
But on the other hand, Grado still supports their carts.
 
I've been this close to pulling the trigger on the Black2. I'm like that guy who got a good haircut in 1985 and has been getting it cut like that ever since, it's tough to switch away from Shure.
But on the other hand, Grado still supports their carts.

FWIW, I've owned and enjoyed many Shures... M91ED, V15III, M44-7, M35X, M97xE, etc. etc.

I like the Grado better. Better imaging and it's warm but not wooly. It works great on the Dual's arm and doesn't hum either.
 
Would be a shame to give up on that stylus. A V15 II is nothing but a fancified M75. I would find a clip-style Shure M75, or one of its many clones (M91, M93, etc.), and use the stylus in that. A body without stylus goes for around $20. Or $10 from forum sponsor Organ Donor Parts, untested, but that's a small enough amount to risk. (No affiliation or personal experience.)

You could even pop that dead can out of the plastic and glue the M75 in there, if you want to preserve the look.
 
Would be a shame to give up on that stylus. A V15 II is nothing but a fancified M75. I would find a clip-style Shure M75, or one of its many clones (M91, M93, etc.), and use the stylus in that. A body without stylus goes for around $20. Or $10 from forum sponsor Organ Donor Parts, untested, but that's a small enough amount to risk. (No affiliation or personal experience.)

You could even pop that dead can out of the plastic and glue the M75 in there, if you want to preserve the look.
I have an M75D in my cartridge box. The Type II stylus doesn't slide all the way into the M75 body. Does this matter?
 
I have an M75D in my cartridge box. The Type II stylus doesn't slide all the way into the M75 body. Does this matter?

Yes, it does. That's why the clip-style M75 is easier. Those can take almost any Shure stylus. Later Shure got smart and put the same metal body into various incompatible plastic shrouds.

You could trim the plastic on the M75 body or the V15 stylus, or remove the M75 from its shroud and put it in the V15. But I find it easier to just use the earlier style body. M75s are plentiful and cheap.
 
I picked up a Shure V15 Type II body last year for about 60 bucks. Fine cartridge.
Trying to find just the body isn't easy. Seems everybody slaps a 3rd-party stylus in there and asks $150 and up for the combo.
Ah well, I guess I can put the stylus up for sale.
 
Yes, it does. That's why the clip-style M75 is easier. Those can take almost any Shure stylus. Later Shure got smart and put the same metal body into various incompatible plastic shrouds.

You could trim the plastic on the M75 body or the V15 stylus, or remove the M75 from its shroud and put it in the V15. But I find it easier to just use the earlier style body. M75s are plentiful and cheap.
I took the M75 out of its plastic body--which won't mount to the TK12 sled anyway--and removed the broken Type II from its chrome shell. There's a lot of contact cement in the V15 shell. Once I can get enough of that gunk cleared away I can try this.
But the stylus still doesn't slide as far into the M75 body as it does the V15 body, even with part of the plastic grip trimmed away. It's like the shaft of the V15 stylus is longer than an M75 stylus but I don't have an N75 here to compare with.
 
Well, I don't have a V15 to compare but I can interchange styli freely between my M75 and a Shure SPS with N12 stylus (same specs as the V15-II). The brass tube is a hair under half an inch long on both.
 
Well, I don't have a V15 to compare but I can interchange styli freely between my M75 and a Shure SPS with N12 stylus (same specs as the V15-II). The brass tube is a hair under half an inch long on both.
It plays records, and it sounds really close to the Type II. The only issue is the stylus is a bit loose. Bet I can fix that with a dab of Blu-Tak.
 
Glad it's working out for you. I also have a spare M75 body in case my V15Type II ever has an issue.
BTW, I also use a N70B .6 conical in my V15II, and it really sounds great tracking at 2 grams.
 
It's not quite 100% of the Type II but it's close. I think some Blu Tak between the stylus and the cartridge body to stabilize things might help.
In the meanwhile, I can look for another Type II body.
 
Trying to find just the body isn't easy. Seems everybody slaps a 3rd-party stylus in there and asks $150 and up for the combo.
Ah well, I guess I can put the stylus up for sale.

Not so fast.

I picked up a V15 type II improved with a cheap EVG stylus and it was mounted on an OEM AR XA headshell for $60 on a Barter Town. I was lucky but I think the Barter Town price for this cartridge body is in the $50 range.

I also use the type II with an OEM Shure stylus on a Dual 1019 so I understand why you want to keep that combo.

Try posting a WTB thread in Barter Town.

Good luck, Bob.
 
Yes, it does. That's why the clip-style M75 is easier. Those can take almost any Shure stylus. Later Shure got smart and put the same metal body into various incompatible plastic shrouds.

You could trim the plastic on the M75 body or the V15 stylus, or remove the M75 from its shroud and put it in the V15. But I find it easier to just use the earlier style body. M75s are plentiful and cheap.
I remember seeing M75 (M75-6) with clip body on Thakker.eu for 44€. Not sure if they have it on stock, but it's worth checking out nevertheless (no affiliation) IMO, it would be a shame to destroy standard 1/2 inch M75 carts, for as long as clip models are available *shrug*
 
Not so fast.

I picked up a V15 type II improved with a cheap EVG stylus and it was mounted on an OEM AR XA headshell for $60 on a Barter Town. I was lucky but I think the Barter Town price for this cartridge body is in the $50 range.

I also use the type II with an OEM Shure stylus on a Dual 1019 so I understand why you want to keep that combo.

Try posting a WTB thread in Barter Town.

Good luck, Bob.
Can you take me to....Barter Town? I clicked on the link to Barter Town Preview and found not much.
 
Back
Top Bottom