• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

So my beloved V15 Type II Improved fell apart yesterday.

Can you take me to....Barter Town? I clicked on the link to Barter Town Preview and found not much.

You have to be a member (called Subscriber) to see the BT Forum which means you pay a $20 fee used for update and maintenance of the AK site. From there you post a Want to Buy (WTB) thread for the V15-II. Then you wait for responses, you typically work the cost and shipping via private messages.

I see them come up for sale often, posting a WTB should expedite the process. There are likely to be several people with one or more. Buying from AK members is a good experience.

Lots of great deals to be had.

Good luck, Bob
 
I remember seeing M75 (M75-6) with clip body on Thakker.eu for 44€. Not sure if they have it on stock, but it's worth checking out nevertheless (no affiliation) IMO, it would be a shame to destroy standard 1/2 inch M75 carts, for as long as clip models are available *shrug*

If that Thakker price is the going rate in Europe, you have my sympathy. They're much cheaper over here, and should be, since there are millions of them.

At any rate, no need to destroy anything, just pop the glue bond. It may be so weak you wouldn't even want to use the cartridge as is. My Shure SPS was like that.
 
It's not quite 100% of the Type II but it's close. I think some Blu Tak between the stylus and the cartridge body to stabilize things might help.
In the meanwhile, I can look for another Type II body.

You can carefully squeeze the shaft with tweezers for a tighter fit.
 
The Type II Improved stylus in the M75 body is surprisingly good...but not as good. The soundstage and that wonderful bass just aren't there like they were with a Type II body. The top end is rolled off too. Damn.
Can't believe how good a nearly 50 year old cart sounded. I can't believe how fussy I am about this crap either.
 
Last edited:
That's because your stylus isn't seated all the way. Maybe sample variations. See @beatcomber in post #23 above.

Internally, the M75 and V15-II bodies are the same. 720 mH inductance, 630 ohms DC resistance.
 
If that Thakker price is the going rate in Europe, you have my sympathy. They're much cheaper over here, and should be, since there are millions of them.

At any rate, no need to destroy anything, just pop the glue bond. It may be so weak you wouldn't even want to use the cartridge as is. My Shure SPS was like that.
Apparently, it is... :( Although you can get lucky & score M75 through the local ads like I did, recently. Picked up working M75B, Type 2 (without the stylus) for around 15$, 13.50€. Still working on it by the way, but I'm really looking forward to it :)

There is actually M75-6 clip-type cartridge on sale right now for 12USD, 10€. And since I'm a sucker for Shures, I was even going to buy it until I've realized that it's missing the mounting clip, so it's pretty much useless *shrug*

Regarding Thakker, do keep in mind however, that you're paying 44€ for the entire assembly, and not just cartridge alone. (at least that's what I understood). In which case 44€ is not really that much money for a piece of working vintage hardware IMO.
 
Last edited:
Apparently, it is... :( Although you can get lucky & score M75 through the local ads like I did, recently. Picked up working M75B, Type 2 (without the stylus) for around 15$, 13.50€. Still working on it by the way, but I'm really looking forward to it :)

There is actually M75-6 clip-type cartridge on sale right now for 12USD, 10€. And since I'm a sucker for Shures, I was even going to buy it until I've realized that it's missing the mounting clip, so it's pretty much useless *shrug*

Regarding Thakker, do keep in mind however, that you're paying 44€ for the entire assembly, and not just cartridge alone. (at least that's what I understood). In which case 44€ is not really that much money for a piece of working vintage hardware IMO.
I don't want to squeeze or modify the NOS Type II Improved stylus in any way. If I can't find another Type II body at a reasonable price, I'll want to sell that stylus.
 
The Type II Improved stylus in the M75 body is surprisingly good...but not as good. The soundstage and that wonderful bass just aren't there like they were with a Type II body. The top end is rolled off too. Damn.

That's because it's loose and unwanted resonances are interfering with performance.
 
Regarding Thakker, do keep in mind however, that you're paying 44€ for the entire assembly, and not just cartridge alone. (at least that's what I understood). In which case 44€ is not really that much money for a piece of working vintage hardware IMO.

Made me look up that listing. It comes with a generic spherical stylus and is out of stock, anyway. Meanwhile, M75, M91 etc. cartridges are selling for well under $30 on ebay all the time. For example, an M91E with working original stylus and clip for $24.50 plus shipping just two weeks ago. Less than half of the Thakker "offer" :rolleyes:
 
True, but there's always an issue of shipping costs. And judging from my previous experiences with ebay, shipping costs can get really high, sometimes to (and over) the price of the object, in this particular case cartridge itself :( It's worth checking it out nevertheless, especially the local ads, close to your location. After all, that is how I got my M75, for which I believe it was reasonably priced.
 
Start a conversation with him. Click on his icon and it will say start a conversation near the bottom.
 
Hi Olddude- got your email address but the email came back undeliverable. I responded to your private conversation.
 
Back
Top Bottom