• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

So what "I'll never sell..." item have you sold?

JohnVF

Lunatic Member
Banned
I'm just curious if anybody has sold or otherwise gotten rid one of those items they said they wouldn't in a thread like "speakers I'll never sell" or "receivers I'll never sell". I think it might be interesting to hear how many have thought they'd arrived and settled, only to move on to something else.

Me? Dahlquist DQ-30s. I loved them and still did when I sold (actually, traded) them. But I simply found a few pairs of speakers that I liked better, which I never thought would happen when I listed them in a "speakers I'll never sell" thread.
 
Register to hide this ad
geez! where do i start.. i sold a mint pair of jbl c-38's, a pair of haethkit w-5m's, micro trak xtudio table, a pair of one off frazier bent wood horns, a pair of rca metal huge horns( i mean huge), pair of hartley full range cabinets ( bad move). fisher x-100 c, mcintosh c-28, i can go on... but their is always more!
 
KeF Chorale III pair, DH 220 and DH110 combo, Advent AS2 pair. There may have been a couple others but i cant remember.
 
well sold a pair of mint sansui sp1200 1970s model,sony ta11 amp 1978 rare as hell, fully recaped never should of sold that one im still regretting it.....
 
When I was selling Hi-Fi in Colorado back in the mid 70's I had Polk Audio make me a custom set of model 10s (purchased under salesman accommodation discount directly from Polk). They were covered in REAL walnut veneer. They were the only pair that Polk ever made (I asked them to make me another one and they said NO... so the second pair I purchased were standard rosewood vinyl.... I still have these)

When I bought my double pair of 9s I sold them to a co worker at University Stereo. They should still be floating around L.A. somewhere. When I sold them I had the original boxes and on the box was written "custom order natural walnut cabinets". They told me that they hand picked the components for them also and sent a graph showing the freq response. Hopefully all of that is still with them after nearly 3 decades.

So anyone out in the L.A. area keep your eyes (and ears) open for a rubbed walnut clad set of Polk model 10 speakers and you will get yourself a unique one of a kind set of speakers.

.
 
JBL Olympus S8R speakers, thorens TD124-II w/SME 3009 arm, Mc C26 preamp. But no regrets today. All part of a planed downsizing.
 
When I was selling Hi-Fi in Colorado back in the mid 70's I had Polk Audio make me a custom set of model 10s (purchased under salesman accommodation discount directly from Polk). They were covered in REAL walnut veneer. They were the only pair that Polk ever made (I asked them to make me another one and they said NO... so the second pair I purchased were standard rosewood vinyl.... I still have these)

When I bought my double pair of 9s I sold them to a co worker at University Stereo. They should still be floating around L.A. somewhere. When I sold them I had the original boxes and on the box was written "custom order natural walnut cabinets". They told me that they hand picked the components for them also and sent a graph showing the freq response. Hopefully all of that is still with them after nearly 3 decades.

So anyone out in the L.A. area keep your eyes (and ears) open for a rubbed walnut clad set of Polk model 10 speakers and you will get yourself a unique one of a kind set of speakers.

.

I have a pair of Monitor 7s that are on their way out simply because of the vinyl on them...doesn't even remotely look like real wood! I wish they all had real veneer, and now I know that only one pair of 10s did. I think they would have sold a lot of real wood veneer ones.
 
There is a bunch of stuff that I thought was really great before I got into audio a little deeper....

entire entry level Adcom system (tuner, cd, pre, amp). Thought they were the best thing ever at the time.

Onkyo M-508 (still miss it, just for it's visual presence...love the HUGE VU meters on the front. everyone who saw it and didn't know a lot about audio was like "dude, your system is soooo baaaaaad) and it wasn't a bad amp.

Rotel RA-1062 it was a nice enough amp

Klipsch LaScala's wonderful speakers but just too huge for the new house....I DEFINITELY STILL MISS THESE.
 
I have a pair of Monitor 7s that are on their way out simply because of the vinyl on them...doesn't even remotely look like real wood! I wish they all had real veneer, and now I know that only one pair of 10s did. I think they would have sold a lot of real wood veneer ones.

When I purchased them directly from Polk (I want to say 1975 or 1976) this was very early in the history of the Polk Audio company. When we picked up the line about a year before I purchased mine, they were "fresh to the market". At that time they only offered vinyl clad cabinets. I do no know if later on they offered natural wood veneer or not as I did not stay up with their products after I left the Hi-Fi biz in the mid 80's
 
My set of mint Allison two's, At least a Fellow AK member is enjoying them!
Regards,
Jim
 
There is a bunch of stuff that I thought was really great before I got into audio a little deeper....

That's what is happening to me. The deeper into the rabbit hole I go, the more things that I once thought were amazing don't look all that special anymore. I guess that's all part of learning, but I was so sure that I'd never sell certain things. I think next to go will be my KLH Sixes. I actually got rid of my recapped pair because I found a pair in better physical condition, with plans to recap them, too. But that probably won't happen. Things I've come across are just so much better to me that I wonder why I'd bother at this point.
 
JBL 001 speaker system in custom cabinets, picked up for a song in pristine condition...sold.

Only after I picked up some JBL 4425's in VG condition for -$150. (yes, that is I was paid $150 to take the speakers)
 
I sold my La Scalas last summer and my Marantz 2265B receiver a bit before that.
All part of progression and downsizing. I don't see the point in keeping them around if they aren't getting used. That being said, I can always re-buy them if I really want to for hopefully around the same price, so there's really no need to keep them.
 
Pioneer SX-950 & an Ovation Deacon electric guitar.

The only one I still say I wouldn't sell is my Pioneer SX-D7000, but I've learned that everything has it's price...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom