• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

So what "I'll never sell..." item have you sold?

Why sell?

I have a pair of Monitor 7s that are on their way out simply because of the vinyl on them...doesn't even remotely look like real wood! I wish they all had real veneer, and now I know that only one pair of 10s did. I think they would have sold a lot of real wood veneer ones.

You can learn how to do a decent veneer job yourself, or if you really love them, go have a cabinet maker do them for you.
 
my one regret

Selling my ESS AMT 1a's. They financed the purchase of my Ohm F's. When I killed the VC in one of them, Ohm said "no more repairs, sorry". They went back to Brooklyn to finance my F2's. Wish I had those big Heils to play with these days.
 
once again

I sold almost mint AKAI GX-635. Big mistake. It looked great and sounded just awesome...

You just had to post that one, didn't you. I almost put it out of my mind. When I moved from Las Vegas 3 years ago, the movers neglected to take the stuff out of my garage and so my AKAI GX-280D-SS had to be sold or left on the side of the road. I got $25 from my next door neighbor. I couldn't find any virgin tape at the time and so it wasn't that hard, until now.
 
Selling my ESS AMT 1a's. They financed the purchase of my Ohm F's. When I killed the VC in one of them, Ohm said "no more repairs, sorry". They went back to Brooklyn to finance my F2's. Wish I had those big Heils to play with these days.

I spent a couple hours last night listening to a pair of ESS, and I believe they were AMT-1s. I'd regret selling those, too. Fantastic top end...really really nice sound. Not to rub it in or anything.
 
Yes, they were solid performers

I spent a couple hours last night listening to a pair of ESS, and I believe they were AMT-1s. I'd regret selling those, too. Fantastic top end...really really nice sound. Not to rub it in or anything.

I keep reminding myself how colored the mid bass sounded on those AMT's. I have been telling myself this for 30 years now but I'm still not convinced it was the right thing to do.

A high school friend of mine rebuilt his crossover, added a fabric dome midrange with an L-pad in a small box next to the dipole, and A to B, they sounded better than mine.
 
I keep reminding myself how colored the mid bass sounded on those AMT's. I have been telling myself this for 30 years now but I'm still not convinced it was the right thing to do.

A high school friend of mine rebuilt his crossover, added a fabric dome midrange with an L-pad in a small box next to the dipole, and A to B, they sounded better than mine.

On the pair I heard, I was surprised by how much of the frequency that air-motion-tweeter was covering. The woofer was so big that I couldn't figure out how there was not a big hole in the response until I got close and realized just how much sound was coming from it. They were far from perfect, and more than a bit boomy, but that upper range was so nice.
 
I'm actually considering selling my Yammy 1000's because this kitchen remodel is going way over budget. I'll probably regret it later, but if it keeps the VSO happy, that's what counts. :thmbsp:
 
My buisness partner once said to me "everything is for sale".
At the time I wasnt his buisness partner some 15 years ago.
I`ll be darned if I would ever sell any of my gems ..But guess what. I do sell near everything now.
It all comes and goes and I really like putting another audiophile into a new amp ,preamp,speakers.
I think I was being selfish before, I`m not so selfish anymore.
Sound is for sharing.


Happy listening:music:
 
1975 set of Ludwig drums!


im feelin ya there. i sold a 1981 rickenbacker 4001. its worth 4-5 times what i paid for it, and 4-5 times what i sold it for. it owed me nothing though, made 1000's doing gigs with it. its funny, they were a dime a dozen in the early 90's. cant touch em now.

also, i never see them mentioned ever but i used to have a set of audio pulse speakers. 12" polyprop 12" woofer, 5 or 6" poly mid and a i dont remember the tweeter. they were a canadian company. excellent bang for the buck. sold those, wish i still had them.
 
My buisness partner once said to me "everything is for sale".
At the time I wasnt his buisness partner some 15 years ago.
I`ll be darned if I would ever sell any of my gems ..But guess what. I do sell near everything now.
It all comes and goes and I really like putting another audiophile into a new amp ,preamp,speakers.
I think I was being selfish before, I`m not so selfish anymore.
Sound is for sharing.


Happy listening:music:

a new perspective, thank you.
 
I sold a Marantz to someone back in the day. Guy saw it and asked "How much."

I kept saying like a mantra "It's Not For Sale!" He wasn't going to study the word "No!" The "I'll give ya" price the guy offered just kept going up and up. Money! (What's up wid dat?) I finally broke, and sold it to the guy. I'm not even going to mention the price; it was ridiculous. I could almost go and buy a friggen car! We're talking private auction city here... Go figure. I can't be bothered....
 
I ran smack-into a financial crisis back in the mid-late '90's (and no, I didn't sell narcotics - Not what I meant), and I had to sell a lot of precious things - my McIntosh car audio amps (a 100X2 and a 30X2 - Awesome, warm, and incredibly lush yet transparent sound - I really miss'em), my absolutely-prized "Wish You Were Here" CBS Mastersound LP (That's the one that hurts the most - The needledrop I found just doesn't do the LP justice), my '61 Fender 2X12 cab w/ original, incredibly-smooth and warm-sounding alnico speakers (from a Fender Showman - This was a stupid mistake I made - Never should have parted with it - And the blues guitarist that bought it from me? Well, he still has it and he ain't sellin' - Dumb move on my part, considering that I found the cabinet sitting in someone's garbage can as I was driving by - And the garbage truck was nearby and headed that way - A few minutes later and that cab would have been crushed by the packer - It was one of the automated loaders, so I doubt he would have even gotten out of the truck - I just happened to spot the Fender logo on the corner of the cab sticking out of the can a bit - Unless the driver was a musician, he would never have spotted it). I also had to sell a beautiful $3000 Patrick Eggle solidbody guitar (It's like a British version of a Paul Reed Smith, but it was nicer - I had to sell it quick, so I got A LOT less than it was worth). I had an original LP pressing of the Grateful Dead's "From The Mars Hotel" album (If anybody remembers, these had "AUTHENTIC" in embossed lettering down the left side of the front cover, similar to the embossed lettering on AC/DC's "Back In Black" LP - I haven't seen one since finding that one back in the early '80's, and I don't know if I ever will - At least I have the Mofi CD, which is great). I also had to part with my battered, but prized '68 silverface Fender Super Reverb (I learned how to play using this amp, and I played many a gig with it - It's one of those transition-era Supers that have the same circuitry and great sound as the blackface models). That thing fell out of the back of a van doing 40mph one night after a gig, but I got it fixed and the thing sounded even better even though it looked like hell. The people driving the van didn't even realize the amp had fallen out - They noticed that the back door was open, so they pulled over to check, but didn't see anything sitting in the road and kept driving - They didn't realize my amp was missing - I had gone to get some food after the gig so I went separately, and I just happened to drive down the same sidestreet that they did, and I saw an amp sitting on the sidewalk next to someone's garbage can. So I said to myself, "Cool! Someone's throwing away another piece of vintage Fender gear" -until I got out of my car, walked up and got a closer look ("NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! THAT'S MY AMP!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHRRRRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!). That was a major drag of a night. But I took it to a musician friend who also restored vintage Fender amps, and he did an amazing job of piecing it back together (The wood that the speakers were mounted to was cracked right down the middle, and the metal legs were all-twisted-up - Shattered knobs and bent shafts, tolex all torn-up - The only thing that was damaged was the grillcloth). Anyway, he got that going again, and the thing actually sounded a lot better (and I had just retubed and refurbished it prior to the accident, yet it somehow managed to sound a lot better AFTER it took a tumble - like some inner mojo was released after it had a near-death experience, or something like that). And years later I was forced to sell it cheap. I had to sell a lot of precious things like that (guitars, amps, etc.), and I swore I would never get myself into that situation again. I really miss all that stuff terribly. Especially those McIntosh car amps - Their car audio amplifiers from the early to mid '90's were outstanding - I haven't heard their new car stuff (I think the car audio line was discontinued in the late '90's or something - That's what I had heard - They must have brought it back - But those '90's car amps with the big power meters were great - The 100w x 2 was extremely-underrated - I think the actual power was over 130w per channel - And that little 30w x 2 was a sweet little amp). I'd love to get those Macs back somehow.

I really miss all of that stuff. I won't make those mistakes again. And I will NEVER sell my old Wharfedales - I love the sound of them, and plus they just look so damn cool with their stylish, yet elegantly-tasteful and subdued walnut-veneer cabinets.
My NAD 3140, on the other hand, is gone as soon as I get another backup. That amp may be great for fans of a more-"accurate" sound, but it sure ain't for me, and it sure isn't the right amp for my Wharfs. So I won't be shedding any tears when that one's gone.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom