• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

so why do we still have tape decks?? what's your reason?

fabchef

Well-Known Member
Hi everyone, just wanted to get your reason for using this, as many see it, obsolete technology? Weather tape deck, reel-to-reel..ect...why do we still hold on to this format?

For me, i like the dynamics of this analog format. You can hear the high's and lows a bit better at times than digital...

So what does this format mean to you? what equipment do you use , prefer and why do you use it (t-decks,reel-to-reel)?? do you plan on letting it go one day?

thanks
fabs
 
Register to hide this ad
I can appreciate reel to reel because of the high quality of that format, although I don't use my reel to reel decks as much as I would like to, mainly for the fact of the scarcity of good affordable tape out there. I love the cassette format because I love analog sound better than digital and I feel with a good three head deck and the right tape you can have something very ear pleasing and portable without having to part with lots of $$$.
 
I always liked the Nakamichis that spun the tape around by pushing the cassette out, spinning, and pulling it back in. So I spent $40 and got one. Now it's used to hold a shelf down (I don't actually listen to tapes; I like the deck).

I'd also buy a Tandberg or Revox. Same reasons; to hold a shelf down.
 
I have old tapes I want to eventually archive to CD-Rs.

Some are in better shape than the original LPs which may have warped or gotten scratched up, lost in moves, or given away. And some are the only versions of the original masters and not available on CD.

Sometimes I get lost in the tape, I marvel at how good it sounds. I forget it's not a CD.
 
I didn't plan on getting back into tape format but a few months back i acquired my father inlaws cassette collection which was for the most part all recordings of his own personal record collection, mostly older country with some blues and jazz thrown in, all meticulously labeled including the song names all were recorded from quallity Mcintosh equipment.

i have several cassette players but as they have not been used in many years they all need new belts, i did manage to find one that would play back fine but forget about rewind or fast forward, occasionally i will pull out one of his cassettes and pop it in for something different.
 
I had gave up on cassettes when VCR's came out. But recently acquired a Pioneer CT-750 cassette deck and noticed my old cassettes still sounded fine.
Then a month ago I found a great deal on a R2R so I now use 3 tape formats.
Cassette, VHS and R2R.
Cassettes because I have them, VHS because 4-6 hours of high quality music is really nice at parties and R2R because it is just cool.
 
Originally, I bought a Nak RX-505 cheap to fix up for fun and playback some 20 odd tapes I had recorded in the 80's for the vintage system I was building. The sound so totally blew me away, I started buying thrift tapes of albums I wouldn't mind owning for $0.50 (or less), and many sounded really excellent. 800 or so pre-recorded tapes later, many hundreds of blanks and 25+ tape decks, it's just too fun to stop. Some of those chrome 120uS tapes are literally better than CD quality, especially many of the classical ones. The MFSL and Nak Reference tapes are just astounding. Knowing and seeing what these decks can really do, just eggs me on to upgrade and improve them with components that just weren't available beck when they were built, like better cmos switches, op amps and caps. I love working on and playing with them.
 
Still looks cool and still plays wonderfully.

5220.jpg
 
Mainly because it takes me back to my youth. I don't use one in my main system but I have one in my basement system. I don't use it much, but can't bring myself to get rid of it. It's a Denon 3-head (can't remember the model right now).
 
I use my reel-to-reel machines to record on the spot music from the radio, jam sessions and certain programs with rare music from local FM stations (which we are fortunate to have plenty of around here). I've got cases of tape, some new and some good used, on 10.5" and 7" reels. I find the tape very easy to come by and affordable (just bought 65 reels of BASF LPH tape from CL for a buck a reel - didn't need it but I can't argue with that price!) and the recordings last for many many years without degrading. The machines are very reliable, easy to work on and can be started right away without fiddling around with a computer, and of course the sound quality speaks for itself. Having grown up using them and always having them around they're just a natural part of any system that I'd own and I couldn't imagine not having one.

I use a stand alone CD burner to record albums that I borrow from friends. It's just easier to put an album on a CD, no question if it's going to fit plus it's easy to store or take with you. The CD burner isn't reliable enough to do on the spot recording, however. All of my stand alone machines are susceptible to random crashes and errors that would ruin a live recording (has happened way too many times). The reel-to-reel machines definitely win in the reliability category.

I haven't used a cassette in years, in fact I gave away my cassette deck years ago when I sold my old car that still had a cassette player in it. I did recently pick up a minty nice Pioneer CT-F950 and put in a new belt kit so that I could listen to some old tapes I had laying around. It's a very nice cassette deck, identical to the one I gave away, but I'll never use it for any serious recording. I just don't care for the cassette format - never have and never will.

I've been using reel-to-reel tape machines since my Dad let me start using his in the late 1960's, and every system I've ever put together has had at least one r-t-r machine as part of it. Maybe someday I'll integrate my computer into my stereo system and use it to record everything (not likely), but for now it's reel-to-reel for on the spot recording or compact disc to copy albums or other CDs. :music:
 
nostalgic reasons really, still have the technics tape deck i bought with my hard earned summer job money when i was 19. only hve about 10 cassettes to play so it does not get much action these days, but i plan on holding onto it.
 
That great big Akai 260D --- is a show stopper and everyone loves it. There is nothing more impressive than those big reels turning.
And it sounds GREAT
 
I like to record live to R2R, as well as I can transfer just about anything to digital (makes for a great bit of walking around money), and theyre freakin COOL! I want more......it's a disease.
 
20 years of collected music. I'm not gonna throw it away. I olny have one deck,
but most all of my old tapes still sound fine, don't wanna lose that music.
Steve
 
My cassette deck died three years ago and I got rid of it during a move (which I do not regret), but I do regret all the tapes that I chucked along with it in a pique of moving-related frustration. Oh, well.

I got my NAD tape deck at a thrift last summer with the express purpose of making a mixed tape and also being able to play about 60 very cool store-bought (punk, Sun, and rock-snob stuff) tapes that a coworker had given to me. Didn't work out that way, since the tapes stayed at work. But now I have a TOTL Realistic deck at work and am working my way through those tapes, plus starting to make more mixed tapes.

More than anything, it's the ability to "unlock" good music for casual listening and the much more involved and intensive creating of good mixed tapes that is my motivation for acquiring--and now, maintaining--my two decks.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom