• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Soldering iron/station?

mr_RBG

Well-Known Member
There was a thread, but I could not find it, sorry...

I am tired of buying super cheap radioshack soldering irons, however, I do not have money now for something really cool :-(. I've been looking on these two:

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100...=1343943502&sr=8-6&keywords=soldering+station

or

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WP35-3...ller+WP35+35-Watt+Professional+Soldering+Iron

What do you think? I need reliable iron(station?) which will not be overheating the tip if you using it for couple of hours.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BMC
Register to hide this ad
I've had the Weller WLC100 for almost a couple of years now.
Works well.............................................................

Steve
 
I love my Weller WESD51 station--bought one on here for $50 from another member and there's a pair on eBay for $80 right now.

Digital temperature stabilization; love it.
 
I love my Weller WESD51 station--bought one on here for $50 from another member and there's a pair on eBay for $80 right now.

Digital temperature stabilization; love it.

How powerful is it? Maybe you know how analog one differ from digital, only regulator or something else?
 
Hako FX-888 it's around $80.00 and has rave reviews, I have the previous model the 936 and that is the best soldering station I have used, I have done thousands of joints with it, yes thousands and it's still like new.

The color scheme is a bit funky but you won't be sorry.:banana:

http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX-888-Soldering-Station/dp/B004M3U0VU

I see one reviewer complained about tips not being available, that's a crock as I can buy them readily at my local Frys. But they last so long you will probably never need to replace one.
 
Last edited:
I have an FX-888 myself and like it quite a bit. I don't like the purple color, but I bought it for its working skills, not it's cosmetics.
 
Hakko! I have an old 926esd that I bought from a refurbisher on eBay. It was cheap, tips are still easy to get (Hakko actually has an upgraded line for it now), and works perfectly.
 
If you want to step up a bit from the Weller you can pick up this Aoyue 937+ for just a few dollars more. It's a 45 watt temperature regulated iron that will hold a set temperature for as long as it is on rather than setting a power level that will continuously heat the iron.

The company has been around for many years and the equipment is a quality build. Aoyue makes and sells tips but Hakko 936/937 tips also fit. They occasionally drop to $45 with free shipping on Amazon.
 
Weller is a very well know name in the field. I went in a slightly different direction when I needed to replace a decades old Ungar pencil iron a few years ago. I got one of these:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2114685_-1

Got it from the same outfit as well. (no relation, just like the place and they are nearby). Thermostatically controlled, digital temp setting, very fast heat up time and for me a new luxury, the handle stays cool to touch. I love this iron.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Shelly_D
 
How powerful is it? Maybe you know how analog one differ from digital, only regulator or something else?

You can buy different handles, but the one I'm using is a 50W. It's neat because you can see that when you attack a BIG solder joint the tip-temperature will drop (as displayed on the LCD), and without the readout you'd think it's not working, but then the number started to climb as the base applied more power to the heater to raise the tip temperature. :thmbsp:
 
the FX-888 is my favorite new friend. i'm not sure how i managed so long with the crappy Radio Shack unit before!
 

Sorry, I cannot give you a reliability reading with any confidence. I don't use the station as much as others on this board do so I can't say too much about long term durability. I can tell you that when I do drag it out it will stay on all day reliably, stay hot as long as its on and the handle is never too warm to be comfortable.

Truth in advertising does force me to point out its Chinese though. That may be good or bad, depending on your viewpoint.

Shelly_D
 
All I can say is that I love the Hakko and have done thousands of joints and never had a failure, you can't get a better recommendation than that.

If you are worrying over the price, just think once you buy something that works perfectly you won't even care about a few dollars.
 
Back
Top Bottom