• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Soldering iron/station?

I still have the original tip on my Hakko 936 after thousands of joints, no signs of any problems.
 
Sounds like the age old question in a different form - buy a $10 Rolex from a curb side "vendor" or the "real" Rolex at Tiffany's?

To maintain the high performance value of your Hakko soldering system (or any other for that matter) use original Hakko tips and accessories. Substandard look-a-likes will degrade the performance of your equipment with uneven heating, premature wear, etc. The cost difference may seem enough to consider the lesser alternative, but in the long run - here it comes - you get what you pay for :yes:

If interested in tips for the 888 they should be $5-6ea, plus shipping. We sell them in a 5-pack assortment for $24, with free shipping if you're an AK member. Every 11th is free as well.

...and as HypnoToad mentioned, a good tip should last years, especially in a non-production environment.

Hope this helps.
 
What a good read. This thread was just too much for me and I just ordered a Hakko FX-888 with all the trimmings. Thanks to all who contributed!
 
Do you sink it is better to buy tips from amazon for about $9 a tip, or it is safe to buy ten from ebay for less than $10 for all (http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Solder-S...ltDomain_0&hash=item3a76f269f1#ht_3547wt_1398). I am asking because, you know, tips are almost most important part in an iron...

When I bought my Aoyue, I wasn't sure which tip configuration would work best for me so I bought one of those 10 pc selections just to have a chance to try out different shapes without having to drop a wad of cash on tips I wouldn't end up using. They turned out to be perfectly acceptable for home use and of reasonable quality.

After experimenting, I have discovered the shape I prefer and have a variety of others for special purposes left over for essentially the cost of a single brand name tip that might or might not be what I really needed. I look after my equipment so these get appropriate care and so far show no sign of any degradation. For comparison, I'll probably try a brand name tip when the one I use most wears out, but it appears that may not be for a while.
 
Sounds like the age old question in a different form - buy a $10 Rolex from a curb side "vendor" or the "real" Rolex at Tiffany's?

To maintain the high performance value of your Hakko soldering system (or any other for that matter) use original Hakko tips and accessories. Substandard look-a-likes will degrade the performance of your equipment with uneven heating, premature wear, etc. The cost difference may seem enough to consider the lesser alternative, but in the long run - here it comes - you get what you pay for :yes:

If interested in tips for the 888 they should be $5-6ea, plus shipping. We sell them in a 5-pack assortment for $24, with free shipping if you're an AK member. Every 11th is free as well.

...and as HypnoToad mentioned, a good tip should last years, especially in a non-production environment.

Hope this helps.

How can I do it?
 
Hi Everyone on the AK forums!! My name is Tom from B&D Enterprises. I would be happy to answer any of your questions regarding any of the Hakko soldering equipment. You can PM me or if you prefer to speak directly, call me at 800-458-6053. Hakko really does have some nice equipment & it is at a price point that makes sense too. We are currently offering free shipping on all orders to AK members.

mr_RGB you have a private message.
 
Hi Tom, welcome to AK. Looking forward to B&D's offerings and help for us DIY'ers. I'll be looking to see if or when the 808 desoldering tool comes at a good price, been meaning to get one for a couple of years.
Maybe we could get a group buy on the 808 initiated?
 
They Hakko 808 has transformed removing old components for recapping etc from a painful task to a pleasure.

I can remove capacitors in seconds and most just fall out leaving a pad that is like new, probably the best thing I have bought.
 
A group buy is actually a great idea, we'll start a new thread on this :D

What thread/area would be best to start one? I looked over classified, but it doesn't seem like many members check the thread...where do you guys normally list the group buys?
 
A group buy is actually a great idea, we'll start a new thread on this :D

What thread/area would be best to start one? I looked over classified, but it doesn't seem like many members check the thread...where do you guys normally list the group buys?
I don't think AK is very "group buy friendly" for vendors. A vendor would probably have to have an ad in the "Business and Vendor Classified" section. I have no knowledge of how pricing is for that. The "Bartertown" section of the Forum (for subscribers only) is where the most sales are completed between members.

I'm unable, at this time, to organize a group buy or I would list a feeler thread in the Bartertown section to get the ball rolling. I'm in if it can be done.

Another alternative might be for B&D is to initiate a coupon code only for AK members that wish to buy the 808. I would be willing to post a thead to advise members that it's available. Sorry, not trying to run B&D's marketing options, just a suggestion for an alternative.
 
There are enough people here that have Warfedale speakers, including me, it seems a permanent thread for Warfedales, within the speaker heading should be established so we all have one place to go. Other forums have a main speaker heading, with in that are threads for AR, KLH, NHT, Polk, etc. and of course a general heading for speakers not having a thread of their own. What do you think?
 
I think this thread on soldering stations is a very odd place to discuss starting a permanent thread about Wharfedales.

That's what I think,

John
 
I have a Hakko 888 on the way from Amazon, and also a Tenma meter. My current soldering iron is a 30+ years old hand me down and is like trying to solder with a hotdog.
 
Manny, I'm sure you will be pleased when you get your new FX-888. It is a nice little unit. All AK members looking for any of the Hakko solder stations or the 808 desolder gun feel free to pm me, email me at tom.jones@bdent.com or call me at 800-458-6053. We have special discounts set up for AK members to give you the best deals on all Hakko equipment.
Regards,
Tom
B&D Enterprises
 
Just ordered Hakko 888, will post my impression after use it for couple of weeks.

Hakko products are a no brainer. I had an old weller iron that was at least 50 years old. Cork was dried out, power cord had long lost its UL rating. Looked around and decided to spend a couple bucks more than the Hakko clones. My Hakko 936 just sits there and works like it should. It comes with a screwdriver tip which works on PCBs and a few PTP projects that I have tried. Its still like new and if I need to solder to a large post, just turn up the heat setting. Good stuff, you will like your new Hakko. :thmbsp:
 
I won't argue that Hakko is the best choice for 95% of AK'ers, but I will also attest to the Ferrari of solder stations- Metcal.
In the early 80's, my wife and I both worked at a plant that built military satellites. Meticulous detail went into reducing weight. Each solder joint had to be perfect, yet with the minimum possible amount of solder. Every employee got 2 weeks solder training, and 40 hr refreshers annually.
When the Metcals hit the market, every Weller on campus went bye bye, and not a soul wanted theirs back.
 
Last edited:
+1 to the 5 percenters!

Tinman turned me on to his MX500 system, and I've been a believer ever since.

They are a little spendy but once you're driving the Ferrari daily, it's hard to go back to commuting in that Chevy. :yes:

John
 
If made in the U.S. is important to you, I believe the only player is Pace.
I've used their vacuum desolder stations, and they're quality gear.
 
Back
Top Bottom