• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Some A/V Dealers Renew 2 Channel Vows -6/2/09- TWICE

Register to hide this ad
Hey, cool.

I once read the wise words of some old audio genius. They went something like this: "With 2-channel, you've got 2 problem points. Why would I want more?" Never embraced HT/surround although they are great for movies. (which I am not into)

This reminds me of a remark I got when telling someone about my system a few weeks ago. He's a 50-ish friend of the family. He owns a HT with some higher-end Marantz decoder receiver which he speaks highly of.

When I told him about my rig, alls he said was, "Oh, 2 channel?" LOL.
 
HT is ok for movies, but last time I looked, I wasn't sitting on the stage at the jazz club~
2 channel just sounds better for music.
 
I have never been a fan of surround/multichannel (that nasty chorus of Babylon Sister is burned into my mind forever. WTF was Fagan thinking??) for audio, though I do have a basic system that I enable for visitors who expect some sort of effect on films.

I am a total proponent of the two ears, two channels philosophy.
 
Different Horses, for Different Courses! Movies, sports = surround. Music = 2 channel At least IMHO
Regards,
Jim
 
Some of these folks just haven't heard the Berlioz Requiem or Mahler's 8th Symphony done properly in SACD surround. It's what the composer intended. That's enough for me to forego the "two ears, two speakers" balderdash on occasion. Following that logic means that we only hear what's in front of us. And room ambience on other SACD recordings is remarkably realistic.
 
Some of these folks just haven't heard the Berlioz Requiem or Mahler's 8th Symphony done properly in SACD surround. It's what the composer intended.

I wasn't aware SACD and mutichannel audio was available to Mahler. Cool!

All kidding aside, many of us HAVE heard such recording and reproductions, and we simply don't care for it. I, for one, do not. We all perceive differently, have differing levels of ear-training and experience, and the bottom line is we like what we like, and vice versa. No one is right or wrong, here.

That's enough for me to forego the "two ears, two speakers" balderdash on occasion. Following that logic means that we only hear what's in front of us.

I agree, that's balderdash, indeed.

And room ambience on other SACD recordings is remarkably realistic.

It's also quite realistic on two-channel 30 ips analog.
 
I shy away from digital audio for the most part, so while I have tried SACD I was never real excited about it.
 
Back
Top Bottom