• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Somebody asked ?

A few coats of primer, 4 coats of rattle can gloss black. Sanding between coats. Last coat yesterday. Going to let it cure till Saturday. Still has a little orange peel look. Final sand with 2500? then polish it up?
 

Attachments

  • black.jpg
    black.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 32
A few coats of primer, 4 coats of rattle can gloss black. Sanding between coats. Last coat yesterday. Going to let it cure till Saturday. Still has a little orange peel look. Final sand with 2500? then polish it up?
It may never get hard enough to wet sand. Try another coat, but lacquer. Or bake it.
 
Much more tastefully done than some I've seen, eh ... come to think of it, this one might look better in the Aluma Yellow ...

pink-sx1980.jpg
 
I've got a Sansui 6060 that the fake wood grain was peeling off of when I got it. I have been thinking about doing the same thing. I've got a couple of cans of blackish silver hammered finish paint I need to try on it.
 
That, or some self-sticking veneer. I have some of that I plan to use on a Pio SX-750 if I can just get around tuit.
 
I've done a few metal cases with automotive gravel guard paint. Dries bumpy and looks pretty close to the original textured plastic used on a lot of equipment.

This one got the royal treatment - couple coats of gravel guard, a coat of duplicolor "stone" finish, then a quick sand to take adjust the texture to my liking, followed by a coat of matte black.

siltronix-done.jpg
 
A few coats of primer, 4 coats of rattle can gloss black. Sanding between coats. Last coat yesterday. Going to let it cure till Saturday. Still has a little orange peel look. Final sand with 2500? then polish it up?

What grit have you gone up to so far? On my TT I went up to 2000 grit Emory paper w/wet sanding. Four coats? I went up to 7 or 8 on the Technics. Three light coats, dry for 2-3 days, sand. Three more light coats, dry for 2-3 days, sand some more. Two or three (lost count :dunno:) more coats, dry 2-3 days, final sanding. Once I hit 1000 grit i began wet sanding. If I was going for a smooth glossy finish it would have taken even more time.

It may never get hard enough to wet sand. Try another coat, but lacquer. Or bake it.

Rattle can paint will get hard enough for wet sanding provided you don't lay on too many coats and let it gas out and get good and hard, not just dry.
 
There was someone making black anodized face plates for some Marantz units.....

Lord Vader.....your tunes await
 
What grit have you gone up to so far? On my TT I went up to 2000 grit Emory paper w/wet sanding. Four coats? I went up to 7 or 8 on the Technics. Three light coats, dry for 2-3 days, sand. Three more light coats, dry for 2-3 days, sand some more. Two or three (lost count :dunno:) more coats, dry 2-3 days, final sanding. Once I hit 1000 grit i began wet sanding. If I was going for a smooth glossy finish it would have taken even more time.






Rattle can paint will get hard enough for wet sanding provided you don't lay on too many coats and let it gas out and get good and hard, not just dry.

I got up to 1000. Stopped there ran out of time. It's been sitting in the garage untouched. I did put two heat lamps on it to hopefully speed up the curing time. It's been a bit cold this week. I have not wet sanded yet. I'll get back to it this weekend.
 
3000 on my last big project, but that was wood with just a couple coats of rub in poly ...

** I ended up rubbing it down with 00 steel wool later, because it was TOO shiny. So, whooda thunk TOO shiny was even possible?? <G>
 
I got up to 1000. Stopped there ran out of time. It's been sitting in the garage untouched. I did put two heat lamps on it to hopefully speed up the curing time. It's been a bit cold this week. I have not wet sanded yet. I'll get back to it this weekend.

What's needed is a DIY project size paint bake oven to speed things up.
Hmm, something like an insulated box with a hot plate element for warming :idea:
 
Wife: Honey why is there an oven in your workshop?
Me: Oven?!? What oven? Oh you mean that old thing?Um-uh I had to have something to sit my TV on, yeah that's the ticket.
 
Her finding an oven in your workshop would probably go over much better than her finding a chassis in HER oven ...

I'd think a black box in the hot sun would cure the paint nicely?
 
Back
Top Bottom