• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Someone buy this FAST!The bay Mcintosh

Register to hide this ad
One of the more common failure modes with these is the speaker switch. The replacement part is quite pricey, and the procedure to replace is pretty involved. While a competent tech is inside the amp, you might as well replace all the aged and out of spec components, there will be several.................... a proposition that is anything but inexpensive.
 
Just because such things bug me, I need to say that the words 'pristine' and 'as-is' generally do not go together. I get the idea, though.
 
Hiya,

How about adjusting the "gears" for left or right ??

Or whatever that means.

Still a crazy good deal for someone.

Frannie
 
Well, a good deal, maybe or maybe not.

I have brought quite a few Mc amps back from the dead, and I did bring back a Mc2505 that I bought on eBay three years ago for $150 that had a bad channel.

Well, it was $150 for the amp.

The shipping for the $150 amp was $50.

The new glass for the $150 amp was $136.

The speaker switch (from Mc) was $50.

The shipping to Terry DeWick for channel repair was $60.

The go through, cleaning, update and the rest a very reasonable $240.

So, the $150 amp really becomes the $686 amp.

So, is the $686 dollar amp a great deal? To some, if you are going to keep it, you have one sweet 2505 with new glass.

A great deal? I don't have the answer, but fixing these can get pricey fast, and it does not stay the $250 amp deal for very long....
 
Doing all your own work definitely tips the balance, as long as there's no proprietary ICs parts are fairly cheap and if you're doing the work for fun your time is essentially free. Does it increase the monetary value the way a Terry DeWick rebuild does? Probably not, but even unrestored examples are bringing $5-600 so I think $250 is still a great deal.
 
Doing all your own work definitely tips the balance, as long as there's no proprietary ICs parts are fairly cheap and if you're doing the work for fun your time is essentially free. Does it increase the monetary value the way a Terry DeWick rebuild does? Probably not, but even unrestored examples are bringing $5-600 so I think $250 is still a great deal.

Actually, it does increase the value of a Mc piece if Terry does the work. Most people do not want any work done to anything if it is not him. I guess if an unrestored working example is $500, then $250 may be OK if you do the work yourself. However, if you do not do the work yourself, I think it would be better to buy a clean piece to begin with.
 
Back
Top Bottom