• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Songs you haven't heard in a LONG time!

benb

Well-Known Member
I just thought of an old song and couldn't remember a lot of detail about it, just that it was popular in the early '70's, upbeat, had the lyrics "bullshit going down" - AND, as far as I know, it hadn't been heard on the radio since it was originally in the top 40's. I haven't heard it myself since, that's for sure. I just discussed this sort of "lost songs" phenomenon in this post in the popular "What bands don't you get?" thread:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4375539#post4375539

So I googled and found the title and artist, and of course there's a recording of it on Youtube:

Isley Brothers "Fight the Power!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRkw9UnVhug

So I want to hear more songs I haven't heard in forever but that I can't even think of or remember - what's one you can think of?
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't think I have heard "Wake up, Little Susie" in 15+ years.

And, I can take great pleasure in stating that I have not heard any Barry Manilow or Dallas Holmes in closer to twenty years:banana::banana::banana:
 
Pictures of Matchstick Men by The Status Quo comes to mind. Oh great, now an ear worm has invaded! :nutz:
 
I had a couple 7" 45s picked up in elementary school days that I hadn't heard again until I was well into my forties or even fifty years old; in other words, I hadn't heard them for more than thirty, or even forty years. I think I finally found them all on YouTube, although two of them were only briefly posted, and then disappeared again (and perhaps have reappeared since?).

Among them were "Music to Smoke Bananas By" and Mars Bonfire's "She".

Among the other songs I didn't hear for over thirty years were Manfred Mann's "Quinn the Eskimo" and the Merilee Rush & the Turnabouts' version of "Angel of the Morning" (not the subsequent cover version(s)) and --shoot! I just forgot the third one that crossed my mind. (Been up all night with no sleep.)

Another one I didn't hear after 1976 until just a few years ago was Brian Auger and Julie Driscoll's "Road to Cairo."


There is a Haitian voodoo song I've been looking for for a LONG time (several decades) that I still haven't found on YouTube or anywhere else online. The name is something like Wa'azoum or A'zaoum. Simiilarly, there is a Russian folk song called "Svidanye" that I've been looking for unsuccessfully. Both of these songs are deeply moving, slow and beautiful songs --exceptional pieces unlike much from their genres. Hey, I'll go look for them again. Maybe this time I'll have some luck? :dunno:
 
Pictures of Matchstick Men by The Status Quo comes to mind. Oh great, now an ear worm has invaded! :nutz:

Oh, man, that's another song I haven't even THOUGHT of in a long time... and once you mentioned that, I thought of Gary Puckett's "Young Girl", and the song about "in the jelly jungles of orange marmalade" (Can't even remember the exact title, LOL).

I just went and "YouTube'd" Pictures of Matchstick Men." Almost wish I hadn't; those guys who looked so cool to me when I was a little kid, now look, well... judge for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D4YYI8G5EM

Geez, the hair, the expressions,.... I remember seeing that years ago, but somehow the reality is slightly different from the memory! My impression of Status Quo has been irreparably damaged. Sigh... you can never go back!

With some hesitation, I'll go look for the others....
Oh, and I just thought of another: "Can't You Hear the Cows", by the Cowsills. Haven't heard that since some time back in the 1960s!


EDIT: I just found the "Jelly Jungle of Orange Marmalade" ... and probably shouldn't have. Another one that didn't stand the test of time so well. Interestingly, on the same page was another song I haven't heard in AGES (a few decades)... "Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'" - That one has held up a bit better.
 
Last edited:
more rock n roll but i just heard "brickyard road" by johnny van zant and i haven't heard that one since it was on the radio 20+ years ago.
mike
 
Hey Arkay!

Thanks for the youtube link! That's what "cool" looked like in the late 60's though. Never heard of the Marmalade song, I'll have to look it up. I do know the Good Lovin song though.

What was funny to me about the OP's song by the Isley's is that I played my Isley CD at work like a couple of weeks ago and heard that song. Many of the songs others mention I've also heard recently. Guess it's how that goes sometimes. Fun thread!

P.S. I have a "best of" for the Cowsills as my wife loved them as a tweener. I actually enjoy it once in awhile!
 
It's been a long time since this has been played on the radio, but it did make a brief commercial appearance a few years ago.
 
It's been a long time since this has been played on the radio, but it did make a brief commercial appearance a few years ago.

Loved that song. 1967 maybe, I would have been in 5th grade or so. Golden Road by The Greatful Dead is coming to mind now... :scratch2:
 
For some reason my fingers typed in "Incense and Peppermints" by the Strawberry Alarm Clock" on the You Tube site but my eyes went directly to the video listed in the righthand column.
Blues Image- "Ride Captain Ride"...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVjN3t8cj74&nofeather=True

"I and P" was the first record I ever bought, it was a 45 mono. It skipped so it was returned. I bet the Garrard turntable in the folk's old console was just set up poorly or not at all.

The Blues Image song makes me think of "Hitchin' A Ride" by Vanity Fair. Also of riding my trusty Stelber Stingray bike!
 
Highfly by John Miles was a song I had on a mix tape recorded off the radio from the 1976 top 100 countdown (when I would have been 10). It must have been adjacent to an Elton John song (Don't Go Breaking My Heart - recorded live with Kiki Dee). I had always thought it was also an Elton John song, perhaps a number that he did live with with somebody and was only released as a single or something (I've searched through my 20 or so Elton John albums over the years for it more than once, obviously to no avail, because it wasn't an Elton John song at all).

So I recently did a quick search for it and discovered the real artist and what album it was on (Rebel/1976). The album arrived today and I just listened to Highfly 3 times thus finally releasing somewhat of a 30+ year old earworm.
 
Sweet Jane from the live Lou Reed Rock and Roll Animal with the long intro by Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner....that's it, there is no reason not to hear it tonight, thanks for asking.:thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom