• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SONY APM Foams

siamac

PIONEER VINTAGE
I would like to buy some Sony APM-33W Speakers. The woofers need refoaming.
I refoamed many woofers ( Pioneer HPM-700, HPM-1100, S-1010, Quadral Montan, T+A TMR-150 ...).
The problem is, that SONY APM speakers have square woofers.
Does anybody know where I can get some square foams? :scratch2:

apm-33w.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Siamac,

Whether for a pair of ESPRIT APM-8 or APM-22ES, APM repairs are DIY only as no spare parts exist and nobody does that given the rarity of APM speakers...
 
There is, or was, a neat instructional site explaining how to make replacement surrounds for APMs out of chamois. Its in japanese, but the machine translation is pretty decent, and it looks like you end up with a good substitute for the original foam.
 
Thank you axel + nat, I know this japanese site.
I am not shure, if this is the right material for refoaming. I found somebody, who is selling square foames, I hope he has APM-33´s size :scratch2:
Once again I could enjoy the great pictures and good information on the vintageknob site, thank you Axel !!:tresbon:

Someday in my dreams, I would love to have some APM-6 Monitor :

apm6hmg3.jpg
 
Who wouldn't... absolutely my dream speakers, apart from a pair of SS-GR1's...

Were you the one that won the auction for the nice APM-33W's on ebay yesterday ? I considered bidding on them, but since I have no experience in refoaming and the aforementioned problems of finding square foams, I decided to let them go.

Good luck with the repair and let us know how they sound. Never heard APM's play...:yes:
 
siamac said:
Thank you axel + nat, I know this japanese site.
I am not shure, if this is the right material for refoaming. I found somebody, who is selling square foames, I hope he has APM-33´s size :scratch2:

PLEASE post the info on where to get square foams! That'd be the first time I'd be aware of ANYONE having anything like that!

Thanks!

Regards,
Gordon.
 
I wish all I needed was a refoam on my APM-8's.....Someone removed the woofer and low-mid driver before I could rescue them. I will probably never find the drivers but at least I have a piece of Sony history.
 
The APM-6 that went at hifi-do recently have been refoamed with the method from ooki - at 400,000Y a pair... I guess the fix works :)
 
Chazzer,

do you have the serial numbers of yours ? I'm near having gathered enough s/ns to make a production estimate and yours would certainly help!
 
Hello all....

Hi,

My name is Bill, I live in Milwaukee WI and I own a pair of APM-8s which have had their woofers & midrange surrounds repaired.

I will try to answer all questions I can and hopefully I'm attaching pics of them correctly. It wasn't the best job but they work and still just stun people when they realize they are listening to "sony's"

Bill
 

Attachments

  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,131
Cool, the second APM-8 owner to pop up on AK in two days :)

Nice job on the refoaming, must be hard doing rectangular woofers. You can tell, but if they sound good, then who cares ? :)
 
There is a nice site showing how to make squarish surrounds from suede. Its in japanese, but the photos are clear enough that you don't need a translation. Can't remember the name of the site, but I found it by googling.
 
ok excuse me for my very bad english , I'm Italian.... it's very difficult to make a square suspension , I made a good suspension with a natural, flat, thin, rubber . best regards guido
 
Back
Top Bottom